Suggestions on removing paint from jeep interior

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
IMG_3572.JPG
IMG_3802.JPG
Hi all,
The previous owner of my jeep was an artist and got paint all over. I'll be replacing the carpeting , but wondering if people have suggestions on how to remove paint from interior below the glove box. Also,wondering how I could remove lettering on the hood if I so choose? He painted it with unknown type of paint. Thanks for any suggestions.

Goof off is a good general cleaner for these kinds of messes. Try small area. Spray on oven cleaner gets most unhardened paint off of other paints.when goof off fails. But only from painted objects.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kathy
IMG_3802.JPG
IMG_3847.JPG
Goof off is a good general cleaner for these kinds of messes. Try small area. Spray on oven cleaner gets most unhardened paint off of other paints.when goof off fails. But only from painted objects.

Well , thanks to you and my boyfriends hoardish ways and him having 3 bottles of goof off, it worked with a little elbow grease and a magic eraser!! Thank you so much!

Well with a little elbow grease, magic eraser, and good off, it worked!!! Thank you so much! Not sure I want to try that on the hood in fear it doesn't work .

Reactions: fxrsliberty
LOL the previous owner used paint and not a stick on decal? Wow.
YES!! He was an artist so he was confident in his skill, thought he was keeping the jeep forever, or that everyone wanted to be known as a vagabond. Lol

For the hood paint, I would definitely bump @dylansalrin - his entire LJ was rattle can painted black over khaki, and he managed a great job of removing the vast majority of that black paint, as noted on this page :

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-tj-today.1784/page-85#post-77400

"This is before. It definitely wasn't plastidip.. it was full on flat black spray paint. Lacquer thinner and a scrub brush" View attachment 18003View attachment 18004
Wow!! Crazy that worked!! Glad to know it's an option. Thank you for remembering that post :)

For the hood paint, I would definitely bump @dylansalrin - his entire LJ was rattle can painted black over khaki, and he managed a great job of removing the vast majority of that black paint, as noted on this page :

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-tj-today.1784/page-85#post-77400

"This is before. It definitely wasn't plastidip.. it was full on flat black spray paint. Lacquer thinner and a scrub brush" View attachment 18003View attachment 18004

Chances are he used latex based paint. On the factory paint I recommended what I used. Lacquer thinner on a shop rag. Hold it over the paint for 15 seconds and then rub hard with the shop towel. The issue on using that on the inside trim is that acetone disintegrates abs plastic so I would try the same shop towel method but with mineral spirits. Goof off also has been known to be bad on plastic. Just a thought. May or may not work because I don't know what paint he decided to use. Good luck

Chances are he used latex based paint. On the factory paint I recommended what I used. Lacquer thinner on a shop rag. Hold it over the paint for 15 seconds and then rub hard with the shop towel. The issue on using that on the inside trim is that acetone disintegrates abs plastic so I would try the same shop towel method but with mineral spirits. Goof off also has been known to be bad on plastic. Just a thought. May or may not work because I don't know what paint he decided to use. Good luck
Thank you! If your u can see in the pic, the guy decided to paint portions of the interior with some shit black rough paint that is hard to clean. I feel like it's the same paint he used on the hood. You were right that the goof off was hard on the interior but better than the white mess that was there before.

I did suggest a small area. But I know how getting something clean can be contagious. If the goof off loosens the plastic. Spray paint over it with a good paint for numbers or plastic. When it dries it will makes the surface better.

Reactions: Kathy
I did suggest a small area. But I know how getting something clean can be contagious. If the goof off loosens the plastic. Spray paint over it with a good paint for numbers or plastic. When it dries it will makes the surface better.

I have a feeling the previous owner went crazy with cleaning and that is why he repainted some of the interior . Then decided to quit at the area I cleaned. It looks way better and ok for now. Thank you for your help