Suggestions on what steering kit I should buy?

Johnsbluetj

HI! since I have a Jeep and not a boat... id like for it to drive like a jeep haha. It's honestly hard to drive. I think my solution is getting a better tie rod and drag link. Do any of you guys have any cost-friendly suggestions for which ones I should by? I have a 4in lift(2.5 susp, 1.25 body) and 33s. Also, any other things that could cause my jeep to have really bad handling? besides the fact that its a jeep haha. thank you!

I implore you to read this thread:

What is the best steering for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Just the first post contains everything you want to know.

However, your steering setup (assuming it's stock) should have nothing to do whatsoever with your Jeep being hard to drive. You clearly have another issue.

Can you post photos of your current steering setup for us to take a look at?

Reactions: Wildman
IMG_5516.jpeg
IMG_5517.jpeg
IMG_5518.jpeg
IMG_5519.jpeg

Here's one issue I see that is affecting things.

You have a drop track bar bracket, which is disrupting the geometric relationship between the track bar and your steering.

You need to get rid of that track bar drop bracket ASAP and bolt the track bar to it's stock frame mount, where it belongs.

That will likely improve things. I would suggest starting there and letting us know if it still feels the same as before.

Here's one issue I see that is affecting things.

You have a drop track bar bracket, which is disrupting the geometric relationship between the track bar and your steering.

You need to get rid of that track bar drop bracket ASAP and bolt the track bar to it's stock frame mount, where it belongs.

That will likely improve things. I would suggest starting there and letting us know if it still feels the same as before.
That's so weird, I had no idea I had that on there. I totally see it now though. But I don't see how I could mount it anywhere besides the drop bracket unless I'm not seeing something
IMG_5520.jpeg

Agree with @Chris on that TB. Looks like you have a stock pitman arm, so that drop track bar is effing up the relationship between it and the drag link. They need to be parallel. My guess is you are experiencing bump steer. This TB would be a better option,

https://www.roughcountry.com/adjustable-track-bar-7572.html
Okay so I should get the track bar mentioned above, then remove the old track bar and drop bracket, and put the new one in? Is there anything else I should need?

I just ordered the rough country one. I know the JKS one is way better, but it's cheaper so yeah. Thank you for seeing this, I have no idea why the previous owner would install it but who knows. I'll let you guys know if replacing this makes my steering any better!

Reactions: bobthetj03
Yep, the JKS TB is a better unit, but the RC one will get you straightened out and you won't have to drill out the frame side mount with this TB.

Yep, the JKS TB is a better unit, but the RC one will get you straightened out and you won't have to drill out the frame side mount with this TB.

What are the chances it’s already been drilled out to fit the drop bracket?

Reactions: Johnsbluetj
What are the chances it’s already been drilled out to fit the drop bracket?

That's a very good question. Looking at his pics, I'm betting you're right and the taper is drilled out to accept the mounting bolt. Well, that sucks!