Sun faded fender flares

BobK

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone come up with a secret formula, method, or product for restoring the black color of the TJ fender flares. The 2003 Jeep I'm about to adopt as part of the family has badly faded flares and I'd like to breathe new life into them rather than buying new.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,
The only proven method I have witnessed is painting them. Many have used heat or plastic restoring products, however the results are usually only temporary and the flares return to looking faded after a few months.

X2 on wipe new. Very easy to use and works well. Make sure you clean off dirt before use, and don’t let it get wet for a day or two. May need to do two coats if they are faded

I painted mine with some decent paint from Auto Zone. Washed with soapy water and then wiped down with alcohol.

25BD49E7-7AD0-4E31-B186-D04634323213.jpeg

2618C5B1-01F0-4A23-9457-4052206B1930.jpeg

Reactions: RussTJ
Has anyone come up with a secret formula, method, or product for restoring the black color of the TJ fender flares. The 2003 Jeep I'm about to adopt as part of the family has badly faded flares and I'd like to breathe new life into them rather than buying new.

Thanks

Bob
Yep. Gunk engine dressing. Used it two weeks ago. Two applications and it’s awesome. Spray it on the rag and go to work. Simple wipe. Do it till you’re happy.

Thanks. All great suggestions. I will examine them closely and try cleaning before I decide to unbolt and paint. Ultimately down the road, I will likely replace, but getting them to look newer and not sun faded would be ideal.

I'll be posting a built thread once I start, so you'll see the progress (or lack thereof)....

Bob

This Jeep TJ, will be my seventh Jeep (yes, I have an addiction) but first one that will be a refurbishment, all the others were new. Back when I was younger and working on my then older vehicles, I would always buy a Chilton or Hayes service manual for the vehicle to assist when I was in the garage say a long and loud stream of bad words. Typically, something broke or leaked or wouldn't start after I "fixed it". Having a printed reference always seemed to help just a bit.

Is there a decent manual for the 2003 TJ. The manuals I see are for Jeeps from when God created them to just yesterday and know that they can't be much help given the wide range of years, models, and options that exist on that many years. Any suggestions?

Fro
This Jeep TJ, will be my seventh Jeep (yes, I have an addiction) but first one that will be a refurbishment, all the others were new. Back when I was younger and working on my then older vehicles, I would always buy a Chilton or Hayes service manual for the vehicle to assist when I was in the garage say a long and loud stream of bad words. Typically, something broke or leaked or wouldn't start after I "fixed it". Having a printed reference always seemed to help just a bit.

Is there a decent manual for the 2003 TJ. The manuals I see are for Jeeps from when God created them to just yesterday and know that they can't be much help given the wide range of years, models, and options that exist on that many years. Any suggestions?
m what I've read, the 2 manuals you listed aren't very good for the TJs. The consensus seems to be the factory service manual. I believe there's one posted in the FAQ of the forums.

Best of luck with your endeavors!

Edit for clicky:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...nuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/unread

Try “ForeverBlack”, it can be ordered on Amazon and I believe you will really like it. It is a dye, I have had it on my lj now for over 6 months and it looks as good as the day I put it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to give the Forever Black a try. If I'm not happy in a few months I just get the Bushwacker flares I'm considering.

Thanks

Bob

Thanks. All great suggestions. I will examine them closely and try cleaning before I decide to unbolt and paint. Ultimately down the road, I will likely replace, but getting them to look newer and not sun faded would be ideal.

I'll be posting a built thread once I start, so you'll see the progress (or lack thereof)....

Bob
Here’s what mine look like before and after. Hood up is after

763E65C3-5AFC-48AF-89B1-3E7A40ABAD20.jpeg

CAEA2133-4F4A-444E-BEF6-FD584D3A5176.jpeg

Thanks man. Took some elbow grease and Lucas finish wax spray. It’s a good 20 footer. I love it. Wanted one since I was 6 yrs old. I’m 45 and finally got it. Love the lockers and hard top. Five minutes or less from dressed to naked(for the Jeep)😂

Reactions: 02SteelBlue