Pennsylvania Sundown Audio ZV3 15" Subwoofers (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel City 06

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Price
$300 each / $500 pair
Selling two Sundown Audio ZV3 15" Subwoofers. They are dual 2 ohm voice coil (can be wired to 4 ohms or 1 ohm, or to two separate amps at 2 ohms each).

The manufacturer rates these to 1500W RMS each, but they are rumored to be are to handle 3000 watts or more (no guarantees). These were ran at 1200 watts RMS each with an oscilloscope-tuned amplifier, and so have never seen full rated power.

Fully functional. Removed because I am selling the car. The box seals have some residual sealant on them (the brown stuff) but these are removable and replaceable.

These subwoofers do very well with a large ported enclosure. I ran them on a 5.3 cubic foot ported enclosure tuned to 31Hz.

Asking $300 each or $500 for the pair. (No warranty. As is, where is.) Retails new for $629.99 each. Prefer to sell as a pair, but will split if no offers on the pair.

Strongly prefer local pickup, as these are a beast to ship (they weigh 60+ lbs each). (Wouldn't be surprised if shipping exceeded $120.)

I also have two Pioneer 1200W RMS amplifiers available for $100 each upon request.

20220319_160632.jpg

20220319_160638.jpg

20220319_160644.jpg

Reactions: JMT
Are you sure they're 2 ohm dvc? Normally the overall load on that would be .5 or 2 ohms (each wired to either 1 ohm or 4 ohms, and then wired together at .5 or 2 ohm overall load).

Each coil is 2 ohms (aka 2 ohms per coil). So each speaker can be wired to 1 ohm or 4 ohms, assuming each subwoofer has its own amp.

Together, if mounted on one amp, the pair of subwoofers could be wired to 0.5 ohms, 2 ohms, or 8 ohms.

In my setup with the Pioneer amplifiers noted, I had each sub wired to 1 ohm on its own amplifier. To get there, I simply wired the two 2-ohm voice coils in parallel to get 1 ohm effective impedance.

Theoretically you could also wire each voice coil to its own amplifier at 2 ohms, and simply run two amplifiers per subwoofer. But then you would need four amplifiers to run the pair.

These are not like the Kicker subs that have a switch to change the wiring. Each voice coil has an independent pair of terminals so you can wire it in any way, not just the most common ways.

In the 2nd and 3rd pictures, note there is a black and a red terminal on each speaker. You can’t see it easily in those photos, but there is another pair 180 degrees around the other side. Each pair (1 visible, 1 hidden per speaker) corresponds to one 2-ohm voice coil. This can be confirmed with a multimeter.

Did you install these beasts in the Jeep or other vehicle? Did you have a box for them or possibly in another vehicle you ran an IB set-up, rear deck using the trunk?

Great deal for someone looking to get a killer system on a budget...

Reactions: Steel City 06
No, they used to be in my F-150. Had a ~11 cubic foot ported box (31 Hz) behind the seat in a regular cab 2007. Ran the whole system on 3 kW RMS (6 kW peak but that's really a meaningless number). Had to add a 370 amp alternator to keep up with the demand.

Reactions: skrelnik
Status
Not open for further replies.