Supercharged TJ

I have a 2004 TJ that I am going to supercharge.
Can someone tell me what horse power & torque can the standard running gear take?

I have a supercharged TJ that puts down roughly 210-220 at the wheels with around 260-270 torque.

Believe me when I say that your stock transmission and driveshafts can definitely handle that power. As long as you're not drag racing people, doing stupid burnouts or being an all around asshat with the throttle, you'll be just fine!

220hp at the wheels really isn't that much in all honesty. It's enough to totally transform the vehicle, but it's not enough to worry about snapping axles or anything.

Reactions: Gigglebutton
I have a supercharged TJ that puts down roughly 210-220 at the wheels with around 260-270 torque.

Believe me when I say that your stock transmission and driveshafts can definitely handle that power. As long as you're not drag racing people, doing stupid burnouts or being an all around asshat with the throttle, you'll be just fine!

220hp at the wheels really isn't that much in all honesty. It's enough to totally transform the vehicle, but it's not enough to worry about snapping axles or anything.
That pretty much eliminates the reason for the supercharger. At least that why I would buy one.

That pretty much eliminates the reason for the supercharger. At least that why I would buy one.

I've got RCV axles in the front, Revolution chromoly axles in the rear, Vanco big brakes, 4.88 ring and pinions, D44s... The list goes on.

I'm not worried about being stupid with the throttle. I simply meant to say that if you're running stock axle shafts it may be a good idea to not be a complete goon with the throttle.

In my case though I'm not worried about that at all. My entire drivetrain is built more than enough to handle 220hp at the wheels :D

But hey, I've never tested a supercharger on a stock drivetrain. At only 5-6 psi I personally don't think you'd encounter any issues at all with stock components. I'm just telling him to err on the side of caution is all.

I've got RCV axles in the front, Revolution chromoly axles in the rear, Vanco big brakes, 4.88 ring and pinions, D44s... The list goes on.

I'm not worried about being stupid with the throttle. I simply meant to say that if you're running stock axle shafts it may be a good idea to not be a complete goon with the throttle.

In my case though I'm not worried about that at all. My entire drivetrain is built more than enough to handle 220hp at the wheels :D

But hey, I've never tested a supercharger on a stock drivetrain. At only 5-6 psi I personally don't think you'd encounter any issues at all with stock components. I'm just telling him to err on the side of caution is all.
I only see the stock manual transmission not holding up. But like you said it would be dumping the clutch and racing it.

I only see the stock manual transmission not holding up. But like you said it would be dumping the clutch and racing it.

That's what I was thinking. If you were dumping the clutch and racing it then I could foresee the need for a stronger clutch / pressure plate. However, I think that's all contingent upon how you drive.

I've driven mine quite hard (with the auto tranny) and it's been doing great.

My Chevy 6.0 liter stock puts out 360 hp and 390 torque. Mine isn't quite stock-- front and rear diffs are the stock D44s and have help up so far.

Reactions: Chris
My Chevy 6.0 liter stock puts out 360 hp and 390 torque. Mine isn't quite stock-- front and rear diffs are the stock D44s and have help up so far.

Man oh man... I'd love to take a ride in that thing. I'll bet it really gets up and goes!

Reactions: Stinger
What's torque specs on those gears and axles? Cot and mot

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I can't remember for sure, but I read somewhere that the RCV front axles took 7652 (or something close to that) ft/lbs of torque to snap them. That basically came in equal to the strength of a stock Dana 60 axle.

Here's a quote from the RCV article where they stress tested them:

Just How Strong? So how strong are these RCV axles and joints? On an axle-snapping jig with the joints turned to 40 degrees, the stock JK U-jointed shaft spit out the U-joint and broke an ear at 3,872 lb-ft. By comparison, the RCV joint never failed, but a shaft finally snapped at 7,604 lb-ft. That's chompin' at the heels of 35-spline Dana 60 territory!

This is my first Wrangler, daily drive, I'm 53 & not a complete idiot. Ask my wife ;)
I'm starting a new business, super finishing & impinging of tungsten disulfide, on engine, transmission & general engineering parts.
The gear is still on its way here (New Zealand), so I'm building this as a marketing tool in the mean time.
Something that appeals to the engine heads, like me & the straight peak, baggy pants guys.
If I pop the bonnet, guys cant see a big bore but can see the blower & gear.
It's an 04 so I'm looking at the Ripp Tuner Kit. I will fit an after market ECU & wiring loom. I will make a 3" stainless steel exhaust & snorkel for it.
It has a heavy duty clutch, headers, 62mm throttle body, 2" lift & 33" tires already.
A mate that builds muscle cars will do the wiring & dyno tuning.
We hope to get a bit more than the 220hp & 270ft/lbs that Ripp claim but still want to be able to take the dogs to the beach and go fishing in it.

This is my first Wrangler, daily drive, I'm 53 & not a complete idiot. Ask my wife ;)
I'm starting a new business, super finishing & impinging of tungsten disulfide, on engine, transmission & general engineering parts.
The gear is still on its way here (New Zealand), so I'm building this as a marketing tool in the mean time.
Something that appeals to the engine heads, like me & the straight peak, baggy pants guys.
If I pop the bonnet, guys cant see a big bore but can see the blower & gear.
It's an 04 so I'm looking at the Ripp Tuner Kit. I will fit an after market ECU & wiring loom. I will make a 3" stainless steel exhaust & snorkel for it.
It has a heavy duty clutch, headers, 62mm throttle body, 2" lift & 33" tires already.
A mate that builds muscle cars will do the wiring & dyno tuning.
We hope to get a bit more than the 220hp & 270ft/lbs that Ripp claim but still want to be able to take the dogs to the beach and go fishing in it.

There's a local guy here who has the Ripp kit and he's putting out nearly 400hp at the wheels on his 4.0... Absolutely nuts, but very cool being as though it's still the 4.0 engine!

Please be sure to start a build thread when you get this project going and post pictures of your progress. I for one would LOVE to see!

400hp that's insane with such a short wheel base
Does he run the standard running gear?
People told me to drop a V8 in mine but I like the fact that it's not a fashionable engine. So old school & something different to work with.
There's an engine for sale for $400 here as there not used to re-power any thing & the boy racers don't want them.
If things go well, I'll buy a spare and rebuild it with all the internals polished like these cranks
4-C-Cranks.jpg

Will happy start a build page.
It may be a while away Ripp said they are 3 to 4 months away
Emailed a few times since & not heard back from them.
I'll give them a bell in the new year

400hp that's insane with such a short wheel base
Does he run the standard running gear?
People told me to drop a V8 in mine but I like the fact that it's not a fashionable engine. So old school & something different to work with.
There's an engine for sale for $400 here as there not used to re-power any thing & the boy racers don't want them.
If things go well, I'll buy a spare and rebuild it with all the internals polished like these cranks
View attachment 1543

I agree! I think getting some power out of the 4.0 is an awesome idea.

This local guy has a short wheel base TJ and from what I understand he has the stock driveline because they are trying to determine how much horsepower the stock gear can take before it breaks!