Suspension Crossroads

Ck'sTJ

ok so its time for phase 2. Suspension upgrade. I'm torn on direction at the moment.
History... 01 TJ. PO had installed 2 inch procomp springs , shocks , 33's KO2s . Jeep is a bit rough riding with 26 lbs of air in tires. Inspection reveals , sway bar in bit of a bind and some of the control arm rubbers are cracked and aged.
So the 2 options I'm considering ...
A. Keep current springs.
New shocks Rancho or OME.
Replace all 8 CA's with Curries JJ
Jks track bars front n rear .
Bump stops .
Option B.
OME hybrid kit.
Shocks , springs , track bars .
New factory CA's.

Either option will get disconnects and all new ball joints , ZJ upgrade , motor mounts , 1"body lift.

Posting this for open discussion concerning ride quality on off road.
Off road will be weekend trail rides Texas hill country , nothing extreme.

Sounds like our off-road uses are similar. I went from a 2" spacer lift with cheap Rough Country shocks which made the TJ ride really rough on road and worse off to the OME hybrid kit and I'm really happy with how the TJ performs both on and off-road; the difference is night and day. About a year after installing the kit, I chose to upgrade control arms when the bushings in my OEM arms were shot and that refined the ride even more. Here's how mine is set up.

OME 2.5" light duty springs +10 mm spacer in front netted about 2.75" of lift (soft top, stock bumpers, no winch, running 31's with full size spare)
OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks
Metalcloak front adj track bar (replaced due to JKS joint failure)
JKS rear adjustable track bar
JKS extended rear links and Quicker Disconnects up front
Metalcloack Duoflex adjustable control arms

Thanks for the info. Good set up.
We are also running no top with full size spare. Santa will bring bumpers and a winch in December so I've gotta pick a direction soon.

Reactions: DaveC
ok so its time for phase 2. Suspension upgrade. I'm torn on direction at the moment.
History... 01 TJ. PO had installed 2 inch procomp springs , shocks , 33's KO2s . Jeep is a bit rough riding with 26 lbs of air in tires. Inspection reveals , sway bar in bit of a bind and some of the control arm rubbers are cracked and aged.
So the 2 options I'm considering ...
A. Keep current springs.
New shocks Rancho or OME.
Replace all 8 CA's with Curries JJ
Jks track bars front n rear .
Bump stops .
Option B.
OME hybrid kit.
Shocks , springs , track bars .
New factory CA's.

Either option will get disconnects and all new ball joints , ZJ upgrade , motor mounts , 1"body lift.

Posting this for open discussion concerning ride quality on off road.
Off road will be weekend trail rides Texas hill country , nothing extreme.
I'm in Cedar Park in central Texas, and am working my build. Couple questions:
1. are the shocks procomp as well?
2. 33's on 2" lift is pretty tight, is there a body lift as well?
3. What is your goal on tire size, stay with 33's?

I don't think the OME kit is bad, but with option A you get, I would assume, adjustable CA's, which is prepping for anything you want to do in the future. Track Bars assuming adjustable, same thing. In option A you get all of that, and you get new Rancho shocks....which would probably be the best change to help with a rough ride.

If you measure the springs and you're at 14 and 10" front and back (stock is 12" and 8") then the springs are doing their job and you're at your lift height, so why replace them at this point when you can get so many other cool things in Option A that are adjustable....that way you get foolish and decide to go higher and 35's you've got the baseline.

Hey!
so my Jeep had the exact same setup yours does right now from my previous owner. It rode like crap and was really rough around town any potholes or speed bumps we’re super hard on my back.

I went with the OME setup using Currie jj control arms basically the dpg super ultimate kit and man is it night and day compared to the before I’m still on 35 lbs of air in my tires but it rides great I’m gonna lower the air in the tires today probably and I’m sure it’ll be even smoother.

You will be amazed what getting the right air pressure can do to improve the ride. I'm at 24 psi right now and it rides like I'm on a pillow (for a Jeep). Seems to put the tire even for long tread life. Let the Jeep decide what to run your psi at, but it is normally in the 24-29 psi range.

What size tire do you want to end up running? If your just doing basic fire roads you don’t need $3000 of add ons. New stock replacement arms are like $200 bucks, 3” jks or bds springs $3-400. Ranch shocks $200. Winch $400-600 bucks... or new stock arms with a zone 4.25” lift depending on later plans and a winch. Unless you want to just go full nasty ;)