WTB: Swap 2003 for 2002 hardtop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheesh!😭 I sure wish we were closer. I've got the '02 style hard top and wanting the '03.

Reactions: Zedd
How does your cabin pressure behave not having the hard top vents?

How does your cabin pressure behave not having the hard top vents?
It feels fine to me. Alittle suction-ie. Only prob is a slight leak in the back trunk area. Ive got like 2 threads about the leak and people shouting their opinions about it so dont even get me started😂. (Would most likely not affect you if we actually swapped)

• Haha
Reactions: bedhed
Okay, now you've got me curious with the threads.😆 I'm going to go check them out. Mine has a leak too, but it seems like a design flaw to me, more than anything else. Mine is at the very top-center of the rear hatch. The hard top and rubber seal are flat, unlike the glass. The glass has a very slight curve. So, the glass doesn't fit tightly against the seal at the center. It's strange. Not sure if the glass is for the '03 style, or the seal just needs replacing. Either way, it's more of a dribble than anything, so I haven't worried with it, yet.

Okay, now you've got me curious with the threads.😆 I'm going to go check them out. Mine has a leak too, but it seems like a design flaw to me, more than anything else. Mine is at the very top-center of the rear hatch. The hard top and rubber seal are flat, unlike the glass. The glass has a very slight curve. So, the glass doesn't fit tightly against the seal at the center. It's strange. Not sure if the glass is for the '03 style, or the seal just needs replacing. Either way, it's more of a dribble than anything, so I haven't worried with it, yet.
Similar-ish to mine

I just went through the Leaky Trunk thread. There's quite a lot going on in there. Cool that so many are replying though. Other forums I've been in don't get replies like that. Anyway, that's beside the point. I'm going to go back through that thread later today and try to get myself up to speed with the leak problem. If you want, feel free to shoot me some pictures and messages. I'll send some of mine, along with any helpful advice. If not, I'll jump in on the thread with anything I come up with. Mine isn't leaking in that spot, so we should be able to sort it out.

OR, if you happen to find a need to travel to Florida, I'll swap you in a heartbeat.😆 I just don't want the vents in mine. I have plans to "shave" them before repainting the whole top. That's a lot of work I'm not looking forward to though.

What it really comes down too, is that the windows bottom rubber isnt chunky enough, and that the previous owner added rubber on top of the gate to plug the leak. It works well, except that it doesnt work because water still gets in. The gate is slightly saggy because of the tire, and that I need to get a nut to place of the latch to make sure the gate closes properly. I would prefer to skip all the fixing/plugging nonsense and just get a 2002 original top via a trade but until I see one on Car-parts.com, I have to live with what I have. I think it’s really lame to have a leak in a car. That’s like, an easy essential thing. But thats what I get when the previous owner bought an aftermarket top and not an original.

What it really comes down too, is that the windows bottom rubber isnt chunky enough, and that the previous owner added rubber on top of the gate to plug the leak. It works well, except that it doesnt work because water still gets in. The gate is slightly saggy because of the tire, and that I need to get a nut to place of the latch to make sure the gate closes properly. I would prefer to skip all the fixing/plugging nonsense and just get a 2002 original top via a trade but until I see one on Car-parts.com, I have to live with what I have. I think it’s really lame to have a leak in a car. That’s like, an easy essential thing. But thats what I get when the previous owner bought an aftermarket top and not an original.

Ohh! It's aftermarket. I didn't see that part in the discussion. It is pretty lame, no doubt. I've grown to partially accept it. What's crazy is seeing all of the videos of these guys with brand new (at the time) JKs with leaky doors, due to poor design. With our TJs it isn't so bad. In our case, it's more of a routine maintenance and tweaking thing. Unless you're to the point of being over it, I can snap several pictures and measurements today. That may help. If you're over it, I get it. I've definitely been in that position more than once. Let me know if you want to keep giving it a shot and I'll see what I can do to help.

Ohh! It's aftermarket. I didn't see that part in the discussion. It is pretty lame, no doubt. I've grown to partially accept it. What's crazy is seeing all of the videos of these guys with brand new (at the time) JKs with leaky doors, due to poor design. With our TJs it isn't so bad. In our case, it's more of a routine maintenance and tweaking thing. Unless you're to the point of being over it, I can snap several pictures and measurements today. That may help. If you're over it, I get it. I've definitely been in that position more than once. Let me know if you want to keep giving it a shot and I'll see what I can do to help.
I think where it’s at now is the best it’s going to get until it really bugs me. Not being able to use a portion of the trunk is really lame.
I actually go over it in this video:

Got it. I'll jump on your thread and add my thoughts in a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.