Swapping 42RLE for another transmission

Wyatt Morris

I have the infamous issue with the 05 and 06 42rle bad shifting because of the bad PCM. Now, because that is discontinued I am looking for an alternate option. Whether that means swapping it for a different engine and tranny combo, swapping it to a manual, or another automatic and get a new computer? I really do not want to get rid of it. Or try my luck with a re manufactured computer? Any advice helps.

I have looked into them, but upon more research it seems as though the transmissions are not "new" and often times do not solve the issue.

I have looked into them, but upon more research it seems as though the transmissions are not "new" and often times do not solve the issue.

They aren't new, because no one offers a new PCM anymore as Mopar discontinued them years ago.

However, FS1 warranties them, so you'll get your money back if it doesn't fix it.

You should also check out this thread, as @Wranglerfix says he's 100% solved this issue with the 05-06 PCMs:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/05-06-pcm-issue-is-solved.21699/

I guess that will be my next course of action. I'll take a look at that video now... Thank you Chris.

I guess that will be my next course of action. I'll take a look at that video now... Thank you Chris.

No problem. I would go that route. I'm not sure exactly how he fixed it, but he seems very certain he did, so I would give it a go.