Swapping a JK Dana 30 and Dana 44 into a TJ

...and if you plan to wheel it, you'll need to gusset the inner C on that front JK axle and possibly reinforce the tubes.
Doubt it will ever be rock crawling. Highway, gravel road, dirt road, beach, some trails - no technical crawling stuff. Just can't find any TJ axles around that aren't busted/ bent, rotten or already rigged up (and uber-expensive here).

Haven't even taken any measurements yet. Have an 8.8 available too but that has sounded like way more work than the JK axles. Going to have a driveline outfit do the fab & I'll install.

What size tire are you trying to run?

Doubt it will ever be rock crawling. Highway, gravel road, dirt road, beach, some trails - no technical crawling stuff. Just can't find any TJ axles around that aren't busted/ bent, rotten or already rigged up (and uber-expensive here).

What axles do you have now? I'm gunna guess a Dana 30 front & Dana 35 rear?

What is the reason for wanting to swap axles to these JK axles?

And what Chris asked above what size tire are yo wanting to run?

What @B00mb00m is suggesting I show is the JK axle is inherently flawed with 6* of separation between pinion and caster. Although not necessary, I've cut and sleeved the factory tubes to achieve desired D.O.S. (degrees of separation), which in my build, is 14.4*

123725198_10158523440172419_438599973448497517_o.jpg

126191808_10158549794847419_125144650222177856_o.jpg

What axles do you have now? I'm gunna guess a Dana 30 front & Dana 35 rear?

What is the reason for wanting to swap axles to these JK axles?

And what Chris asked above what size tire are yo wanting to run?
No axles at all. Bare frame from 03 TJ. Finding Rubi Dana44s in Alberta is impossible. Lots of JKs hitting the part-out circuit so I figured it would be the most economical option.

No axles at all. Bare frame from 03 TJ. Finding Rubi Dana44s in Alberta is impossible. Lots of JKs hitting the part-out circuit so I figured it would be the most economical option.

Got it. Well if you're okay with doing the fab work or know someone who can then I say go for it. And I'd imagine finding Dana 44 axles up there are as hard if not harder than down here. And they are like finding a needle in a hay stack.

The 8.8 is about the same amount of work to install. You have to remove the old brackets & mounts from the axle and then weld on the TJ brackets or a truss with the brackets. Same amount of work you'd do on the JK axles. The 8.8 is about 1" narrower than a stock TJ axle where the JK axles are about 5" wider than stock.

Reactions: FishinSam
Got it. Well if you're okay with doing the fab work or know someone who can then I say go for it. And I'd imagine finding Dana 44 axles up there are as hard if not harder than down here. And they are like finding a needle in a hay stack.

The 8.8 is about the same amount of work to install. You have to remove the old brackets & mounts from the axle and then weld on the TJ brackets or a truss with the brackets. Same amount of work you'd do on the JK axles. The 8.8 is about 1" narrower than a stock TJ axle where the JK axles are about 5" wider than stock.
I'd prefer the wider stance of the JK axles and I have friends at a driveline shop that could assist in getting the truss and mount kits welded properly. I can weld but I would rather a professional do it once and perfect.
Thanks for the info

I'd prefer the wider stance of the JK axles and I have friends at a driveline shop that could assist in getting the truss and mount kits welded properly. I can weld but I would rather a professional do it once and perfect.
Thanks for the info

If you want the wider stance then I say go for it. You aren't doing anything that hasn't been done already so I'm sure if you run into any snags you can find help.

Jeep TJ Axle Swap With Jeep JK Dana 44 - Jeep JK Urge To Merge (fourwheeler.com)

XJ/TJ/LJ/ZJ to JK Dana 44 Front Axle Swap Kit - Iron Rock Off Road

All sorts of video's on YouTube

JK axles under a TJ - Bing video

Barnes 4WD makes a truss

Jeep JK Dana 44 Rear Axle To Jeep TJ, LJ, XJ, ZJ, Or MJ Swap Kit (barnes4wd.com)

Jeep JK Dana 44 to Jeep TJ, LJ, XJ or MJ Front Axle Swap Kit (barnes4wd.com)

Good luck and let us know how it goes. And have fun...

Reactions: FishinSam