Swapping to a HP Dana 30

You do not want the vacuum disco. Just have to look under XJs and MJs till you find one.

Doesn't really matter, some people say the Dana 30 housing with the disconnect is a little stronger because of the cast section but the downside is you'll need to plug the actuator hole and replace the disconnect shaft with a standard one.

Doesnt matter, the actuator can be blocked. The housing will take a 1 piece shaft as mentioned. Knuckles, steering, brakes, hubs, etc...can all swap over from your OE dana30.

You just need to install reverse cut gears.

It doesn't matter whether it comes with the vacuum disconnect or not. In fact many feel that side of the axle housing is stronger due to the square steel housing for the disconnect. If you find one with the disconnect all you have to to do is cover the opening with some 1/8" or close sheet metal after you replace the shaft with the one-piece shaft.

What do you mean with a 1 piece shafts? cant i just gut my Dana 30 and stuff everthing in the hp30 i know the ring and pinion arent the same but I'm going to 5.13s so doesnt matter to me anyways cuz I have 4.88s now

Sure you can swap. If you get the vacuum axle those shafts (at least one of them) will not go in your LP axle so you wont be able to sell it complete when you are done. If you are throwing your LP axle in the trash it makes no difference.

I'll just leave this here:

Yeah, there is no likelihood that Jeep had over 3/4's of a million LP 30's laying around. The reason they used the LP 30 is probably because there was no need to use anything else. There is exactly zero wrong with it, it works very well for the vast majority of folks and were it not for the internet telling folks they needed one, very few would actually swap in a HP 30.

There are a small handful of folks that have a use for the HP 30 and only because it moves the driveshaft up higher. Other than that, it isn't really worth it. The gear set isn't robust enough for wheel spin wheeling in muddy rocks and we don't break the LP gear sets in the rocks so there is no advantage to the HP except saving the front driveshaft. The LP gear set is quite capable of breaking even alloys shafts and u-joints without damage to the gears so anything posted as a reason to swap one in outside of the higher driveshaft is like most things, just believing what you've read without actually solving a problem you really had.

One should also be aware that there are some HP disco housings that are not machined for the inner seal at the diff on the long side.

This is why I do not recommend the disco housings not worth the lottery. If you do end up with one you can use a National 40576S seal in there.

An HP30 is a good swap if you can find one cheap ($80) and it includes knuckles and front drive shaft, just for spares. JY guy said have at it.🆒Then you can have it regeared, add a locker, add the Currie JJ conversion kit add BMB tie rod flip kit, clean it and paint it all while you’re still driving around with your LP30. Then swap it in, remove your rear ds and break in the gears. Regear the rear when you’re ready.

I'll just leave this here:
I'm getting more cranky about everyone recommending the HP30 day by day. Where they once used to be plentiful, easy to get, and cheap enough to be considered a throwaway housing as in if you tear it up, throw it away and go get another one. Now, they are scarce, more scarce by the day and with all things that get scarce, the price has jumped up. Where they used to be 75-150 bucks, now the going rate for one is 5-600 bucks. That's bullshit because that moves them up into real axle territory and no longer a viable option.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
I'm getting more cranky about everyone recommending the HP30 day by day. Where they once used to be plentiful, easy to get, and cheap enough to be considered a throwaway housing as in if you tear it up, throw it away and go get another one. Now, they are scarce, more scarce by the day and with all things that get scarce, the price has jumped up. Where they used to be 75-150 bucks, now the going rate for one is 5-600 bucks. That's bullshit because that moves them up into real axle territory and no longer a viable option.

5-600 dollars? Wow... I never would have thought that would happen.

Pics look like it goes in from the knuckle side, is that correct?

That is where they go in the old closed knuckles but will install in the axle tube by the carrier on the 30. I always make sure to get two as even with an axle seal installer I occasionally mess one up. You also have to remember that there will be no guide so you have to pay attention as you install the axle shaft.