Sway bar disconnect and track bar question

Wajeep

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey folks, I have a 4" teraflex long arm lift. When I purchased it, I took it to an alignment/suspension shop and they replaced a lower control arm bushing, drag link and track bar. The track bar on the jeep was OEM style and they replaced it with OEM style. When I look at the angle of the track bar it looks like its supposed to and the tires are fairly equal when you look head on. Everyone says I need an adjustable track bar to center the jeep. Is this true? Does my jeep have a lowering bracket welded on that may be the reason why they didn't install an adjustable track bar? If so, what track bar do you suggest. She is mostly a pavement princess and forest service road type jeep. This all came to light when I noticed that my front sway bar was slight off center causing my sway bar disconnect links to rub agains that frame. You can now see some damage to the sway bar disconnect bushings. Just looking for advice. If I'm looking for a new track bar, what do you suggest. Teraflex is becoming pricey...is it worth it?

Thanks, Matt

IMG_0301 Small.jpeg

IMG_0300 Medium.jpeg

IMG_0300 Medium 2.jpeg

I did a 4” lift on my 2000 several years ago and if I recall, I had to drill a new mounting hole for the axle end of the track bar. If they put a new OEM style, did they mount it in the original hole? Frankly, I did a budget lift, doing it over, I would have purchased an adjustable track bar to exactly center the axle in the front. The rear relocation bracket works great, and that axle is centered.

Not sure what brand sway bar disconnect that is, if the axle is centered, the sway bar should self center, maybe they bolt is too long. By the way, did you notice your bump stop has fallen off? The actual bump stop tube is open on the top, will fill up with wet debris and fall off….mine did!

Not sure what brand sway bar disconnect that is, if the axle is centered, the sway bar should self center, maybe they bolt is too long. By the way, did you notice your bump stop has fallen off? The actual bump stop tube is open on the top, will fill up with wet debris and fall off….mine did!

How can the sway bar self center when the chassis torque pulls it to one side?

Reactions: williambmac
How can the sway bar self center when the chassis torque pulls it to one side?

My comment is based on the sway bar being free to float back and forth in the frame bushings. So assuming the axle is centered, once the chassis torque is returned to neutral, so should the sway bar. If the axle is off center due to track bar, the sway bar bolts they used on those links will rub, I had similar links, and the bolts rubbed.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
My comment is based on the sway bar being free to float back and forth in the frame bushings. So assuming the axle is centered, once the chassis torque is returned to neutral, so should the sway bar. If the axle is off center due to track bar, the sway bar bolts they used on those links will rub, I had similar links, and the bolts rubbed.

It is hard to push a chain.

If I'm looking for a new track bar, what do you suggest. Teraflex is becoming pricey...is it worth it?
It's up to you if you want to spend the money to get the axle better centered.
For similar money, I would recommend JKS over Teraflex.
However, a cheap alternative would be this.

Reactions: Wajeep