Switched wheels and handling characteristics changed?

DeadStang

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Maybe this is a newby, "uh, duh!" question, but I put my JK Rubicon wheels (with the correct spacers) on my LJ and it seems to wander and handle poorly now. Am I hallucinating, or is this an obvious "thing?"

LJ Rubi wheels.jpg

20191108_160756.jpg

Tire pressure and load rating seem to have a significant effect on the handling of our jeeps. The slightest change can affect it. How do those sets compare on PSI, load rating, width, and track width?

What size tires are on the JK wheels? Larger than the previous ones? Did you do or get and alignment done after the switch? These things can definitely affect handling.

Reactions: Apparition
You say wheels. But I believe you mean wheels and tires. Tires with differnt tread pattern, load rating, wear rating, and sidewall height will change the handling of the Jeep itself.

In addition to what the others have said, the new tire and wheel combo is quite a bit heavier than stock. Yes, they will definitely feel and handle differently, plus they will expose any weak points you may have in your front end. If those are 32's, you now should look into a proper lift to support them. For mostly road use 2". For more serious offroading, 3".

dude I love that looks have the same rims/tires,i had aftermarket rims an tires before an it rides better now..
EAFD830B-9560-4051-8B18-CCAFB87CE6E9.jpeg

Using spacer rings can cause alignment to change. Moving the centerline of the tires out (or in) will effect scrub.

Yes — wheels AND tires, sorry. The tires are BFG M/T that are stock on an '18 JK: 255 75 R17, load range C, about 31.5" tall at the most. I was hoping an alignment would cure it, but I had that done yesterday and there is no change. The tires that were on the stock wheels were wimpy road tires (and the fronts were extremely worn out with excessive wear on the inners of each, although you can't see it in the picture), but even with terrible tires on the front, it handled really well.

Yes — wheels AND tires, sorry. The tires are BFG M/T that are stock on an '18 JK: 255 75 R17, load range C, about 31.5" tall at the most. I was hoping an alignment would cure it, but I had that done yesterday and there is no change. The tires that were on the stock wheels were wimpy road tires (and the fronts were extremely worn out with excessive wear on the inners of each, although you can't see it in the picture), but even with terrible tires on the front, it handled really well.
those are 32's inch you must have a bent rim or something I run the exact same an my rubi handles great I run the hyway 80 all the time......double check ur adapters.......

Reactions: DeadStang
Now that's a great idea! :eek:

It's a pretty cool LJ — I bought it last fall with 34K miles...it was a one-owner Jeep (a man now in his mid-80s, maybe towed behind a motorhome?) from San Diego that was all the selling/local dealer-serviced. I searched for months before locating this one. I found a couple of Easter eggs in it recently. The first was his selection of 4 Hank Williams CDs loaded in the CD player, and Friday I looked down beneath the spare and there was a Hide-A-Key box on the back bumper with a 3rd chipped key inside! Super neat Jeep — I really liked driving it until I put the new Wrangler wheels on.

Maybe I'll just buy a set of appropriate tires for the stock wheels and forget about it.

If you got a good enough deal on those 18" rims and tires you might come out ahead by selling them off. Put that towards the cost of new rubber on your stock rims.