Switching from 4 to 6 cyl.

It's not a drop in replacement. It's about as much work to put an LS motor into a TJ as it is to put a 6 cylinder in place of a 4 cylinder. May as well go for the gusto.

Reactions: Chris
Even with the added cold air intake, my '97 tj 4 cyl. is gutless. Can I pull it and drop in a 6? I have a standard trans. Recommended engine?
The cold air intake does nothing to help it and it is 4 cyl so lack of power is expected. I have been driving a 4 cyl TJ since 2004 and it is ok for me. Don't be afraid to rev it high because it performs best at 3k-4k rpms. Make sure your gearing is appropriate for the tire size.

If gearing won't solve your problem, sell it and buy a 4.0 TJ. Kalifornia is a pita in regards to engine swaps. Has to be same or newer year and cleared by a referee. There is certainly more to it, that is the info I do know.

As you found out, cold air intakes, throttle body spacers, etc, don't help. A regear could help restore lost power by keeping the engine in it's power/torque zone. What size tire are you running?

Waste of time and money. If you're going to swap in a 4.0 (which is no easy task), you're better off spending the money and putting in a V8, seriously.

It's not just a simple swap by any means.

The cold air intake isn't doing anything with your 4cyl. Suggest selling it online and buying a stock airbox. It's worth it.

Reccomend keeping tires around 31x10.5 or so, accepting it's a 4cyl and love it.

Or, sell it, and buy a 4.0. You'll likely get maybe $1k less for it being a 4 cylinder. I don't know if that rule holds true nationwide but around my neck of the woods it's about a grand difference. Sometimes more.