Switching wheel hubs to newer style

Shpan

Can the newer style and bolt pattern wheel hubs be used on a 2002 wrangler sport. I want to go from the 5 X 4.5 to the 5x5 bolt pattern?

For JK/JL wheels? Use adapter spacers. You need them anyway to account for the wrong backspacing anyway.

Thanks but I want to know if you can do it by changing wheel bearing hubs instead of using the spacer fix.

It can be done with quite a bit of effort and money. There are discussions about it around here.

I have spent some time searching but haven’t ever found a direct fit wheel unit bearing replacement that comes with the 5x5 bolt pattern, or a 5x5.5 for that matter. I think that is why people not wanting to stick with the 5x4.5 go with spacers (5x5) or a manual hub locking setup such as the Yukon wu-08 (5x5.5)

I have spent some time searching but haven’t ever found a direct fit wheel unit bearing replacement that comes with the 5x5 bolt pattern, or a 5x5.5 for that matter. I think that is why people not wanting to stick with the 5x4.5 go with spacers (5x5) or a manual hub locking setup such as the Yukon wu-08 (5x5.5)

I'm not aware of a direct swap. Anything that gets one to a different bolt pattern is going to be an ordeal of some kind.

I'm not aware of a direct swap. Anything that gets one to a different bolt pattern is going to be an ordeal of some kind.

I've got a JK and a TJ...they look really similar (aside from the bolt pattern). Are the axle splines different? Or is the opening in the knuckle different in some way? I wonder why they changed this aspect. They no doubt had a mountain of dana 30's & bearings etc, why redesign this component? Probably kickbacks from wheel manufacturers (or spacer manufacturers).

I've got a JK and a TJ...they look really similar (aside from the bolt pattern). Are the axle splines different? Or is the opening in the knuckle different in some way? I wonder why they changed this aspect. They no doubt had a mountain of dana 30's & bearings etc, why redesign this component? Probably kickbacks from wheel manufacturers (or spacer manufacturers).

This is what I can come up with for reasons.

The JK has wheel speed sensors. That would be one reason the unit bearing changed. Which could easily change the outer knuckle. Then there is the difference in steering linkages affecting the outer knuckles. The wider axle also changed the wheel backspacing, which would also change the outer knuckle design.