SYE Install Screw Up

lBasket

Branch Manager
Supporting Member
Soo I was following the JB Conversions install document and it neglects to mention removing the front DS and yoke nut entirely. So here I am, TCase split apart, with that huge nut still bolted on nice and tight. Is there any trick to immobilizing it so I can remove it? Or do I need to put it back together just to get that nut?

I tried putting on the rear DS but it appears to be stuck in Neutral now, the selector inside doesn't want to go to 4lo or 4hi. Assuming there is something the back half of the case does to let you shift gears? Maybe there is a way to manually select 4lo and chock the rear tires to get the nut off?

Man I much prefer written instructions so I was stoked to just be able to read that PDF but now I feel soo dumb for trying to use it

The easiest/quickest method may be to put a big wrench (pipe/adjustable) on the yoke to hold it while you loosen the nut…
Looks like my biggest adjustable wrench is only like half the width of the yoke fully open.

I'm thinking I'm gonna try messing with the shifting forks to get it into 4lo tomorrow

Reactions: LJBean
I took a length of steel flat bar and made a yoke holding tool. Took some grinding and a bit of welding though…

I mean i would just run to habor freight and get a pipe wrench, if that doesnt work.
Yeah looks like it does have some flats so sounds like the way to go if I can't get it in gear.

I can't believe the instructions skip that step how dumb lol

The back cover doesn't help it shift in any way other than simply keeping the output shaft and shift forks aligned. You may need to help it but you should be able to get it into 4 hi. But then, I'm not sure how well the chain will hold it without the rear cover there to support the back end of the output shaft. I'd probably throw that back on too before trying it.

Reactions: lBasket
If you're smart, you'll slip a short section of pipe over the handle if you get one that won't reach the bottom of the frame as a back up. That way you only have to do half the work.
That's a good idea. I was kinda figuring anything big enough to go around the yoke would have a pretty dang long handle too.

Doesn't the 4.0 have like 200 ft lbs peak torque? Looks like I'm gonna have to outdo it lol

That's a good idea. I was kinda figuring anything big enough to go around the yoke would have a pretty dang long handle too.

Doesn't the 4.0 have like 200 ft lbs peak torque? Looks like I'm gonna have to outdo it lol
Yeah, doesn't quite work that way. If it did have 200 and you run that through the 1st gear ratio in the trans, then x 2.72 from the t-case and then x 3.73 for a common gear ratio in the rear axle, you may have your work cut out for you to equal that.

Yeah, doesn't quite work that way. If it did have 200 and you run that through the 1st gear ratio in the trans, then x 2.72 from the t-case and then x 3.73 for a common gear ratio in the rear axle, you may have your work cut out for you to equal that.
Haha yeah, funny to think about but not quite.

Although with a long enough lever arm, anything is possible...... just not inside my garage

2022-01-1820.47.411714387730674894970.jpg

• Love
I'm over in Highlands Ranch, if HF doesn't have what you need DM me since I might. The HF down by me (Quebec and 470) has been a bit light on the shelves last time I was there.

Reactions: rasband
Damn Basket, don't you have a tree branch or something you can use?

TJFest 2021 joke for those wondering WTF I'm talking about

• Haha
Damn Basket, don't you have a tree branch or something you can use?

TJFest 2021 joke for those wondering WTF I'm talking about
Nah it's too short after I crushed it... It's up on display in the garage though 🙂

Another alternative if you want, I’m at 25 and dry creek. Let me know and I can bring it home from work.

View attachment 303646

This little fella might help too
View attachment 303647
Wow! Tool envy for sure. What's that first thing?

Reactions: Apparition