Syked ECU Tuning Software (for 97-04 TJs)

I would call HPTuners and ask them. Syked is not as easy to learn IMO. HPT is much easier to find a tuner or if you want to DIY tune there is a forum for help.

I joined this forum also because of this thread. I am reading a lot about the 4.0. I did something else. I have a bored and stroked 2.5L that is built pretty strong with a supercharger/intercooler feeding it. I had lots of issues with the build and the shop that helped me get to where I am. I am running the factory ECM with a modified tune and bigger injector. I have been looking for a different shop to help me work on my tune and ran across this thread. My first question is: Will the Syked Software allow tuning of the OEM program that was previously modified? I am way about my comfort level to even believe I can tune an engine but my understand was that very few people had the software to change the factory program for modified engines. It appears that might be incorrect. If this is possible it gives me a possible avenue to work on my tune. I have a SCT handheld tuner for loading custom tunes. Let me know please if I am reading this all correctly.

If you don't know how to tune, let FRP remotely do it with Syked. If you know how to tune, do it and post it up! lol

I do not know how to tune even a little bit. I messaged HP today and waiting to hear back. I wasn't even aware until I found this thread that anyone made software for these. 4 Years ago when we did the original build I don't believe it was available and a very few people were able to do this. I am collecting info and working on getting it figured out. I just looked at FRP's website and that is probably my best option.

Last edited:
I do not know how to tune even a little bit. I messaged HP today and waiting to hear back. I wasn't even aware until I found this thread that anyone made software for these. 4 Years ago when we did the original build I don't believe it was available and a very few people were able to do this. I am collecting info and working on getting it figured out. I just looked at FRP's website and that is probably my best option.

Up until recently, there wasn't any tuning support for the Jeep PCM's. SCT has had software for a while, Syked for a few years, and HPtuners is new. It's an exciting evolution, and I hope to see a lot more boosted Jeeps!

I agree that for people that don't know tuning, FRP is a good option.
I used him back at the beginning of my build, helpful & knowledgeable.
But as with any tuner, to get good results you will spend a lot of money and time, especially the more modified your setup is. A lot more than buying the package and learning it yourself.
Some tuning packages are more user friendly, others not so.
My Jeep is an '04 so my options are limited. B&G say they support 99-03 JTEC's. SCT didn't and still doesn't support the 99-04 models. It's good to see that HPT finally released something for them.
When I bought Syked, they were my only option available.
I'll agree Syked is not as user friendly and doesn't come with much help or support.
I'd be interested to see how the available options and features compare.

Last edited:
So, I'm back - I hope this finds you guys healthy. We have just about finished our Scout. Actually today we drove it around the block for the first time to make sure nothing fell off - and it didn't. It's been lot of fun, and we have learned a lot along the way. It didn't come out prefect by any means, but it's pretty nice. We did install the jeep 4.0 with the megasquirt and that is neat. WE have a lot to learn regarding the tuning, but we will get there. We have the tuner studio software with the autotune function, and that will eventually get us pretty close. But I'm wondering if anyone has a basic VE map for the stock 4.0.

Here is it, last week. Now we doors and the hood and nose on it.
IMG_3149.JPG

Beginner tunes:
IMG_3155.JPG

Last November - but a shot of the jeep goods so I'm on topic!
IMG_2781.JPG

Good day! Bob & Finn

Reactions: Apparition
Does any one know if the Syked software would let you edit the cruise control tables on the 97-04 wranglers? I am considering buying the system just for that - til I do some other mods.

Basically i`d like to lower the cruise control floor from 35 to say 20 or 25.

Does any one know if the Syked software would let you edit the cruise control tables on the 97-04 wranglers? I am considering buying the system just for that - til I do some other mods.

Basically i`d like to lower the cruise control floor from 35 to say 20 or 25.
No need for Syked anymore. You can now access 97-04 ECMs with HPTuners.

However, you aren't going to be able to modify cruise control tables.

So, I'm back - I hope this finds you guys healthy. We have just about finished our Scout. Actually today we drove it around the block for the first time to make sure nothing fell off - and it didn't. It's been lot of fun, and we have learned a lot along the way. It didn't come out prefect by any means, but it's pretty nice. We did install the jeep 4.0 with the megasquirt and that is neat. WE have a lot to learn regarding the tuning, but we will get there. We have the tuner studio software with the autotune function, and that will eventually get us pretty close. But I'm wondering if anyone has a basic VE map for the stock 4.0.

Here is it, last week. Now we doors and the hood and nose on it.
View attachment 178069

Beginner tunes:
View attachment 178070

Last November - but a shot of the jeep goods so I'm on topic!
View attachment 178071

Good day! Bob & Finn

Which MS did you buy? What did you do for crank position sensor? As far as VE tables go, the numbers don't always matter. With Autotune, good AFR table will build your VE table for you.

A friend had a great running car, but the VE table was in the 140s at WOT normally aspirated. His motor would have struggled to get to 100% VE. It was like that for almost a year and he finally found a parameter that was wrong. He left it the way it was until he added a turbo.

I’m waiting on someone to fully confirm they have tuned a 97 or something close using HPtuners, once it is, I’ll upgrade my unit to the new one

Reactions: hear
I think I've mentioned it before in this thread or maybe a different thread, but SCT will do '97-'04. That's what FlyinRyan uses predominantly.

I think I've mentioned it before in this thread or maybe a different thread, but SCT will do '97-'04. That's what FlyinRyan uses predominantly.

I know that, I already own HPtuners though... just need to upgrade to the newest unit for my 97 (don’t want to spend the money till I know for sure)

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Looks fun; especially at those price points. I would surely grenade my engine in short order should I start messing with settings that I don't fully comprehend. Are there presets for us idiots?

Hi Everyone. I just Joined because of this Thread. I would like to learn and share any info on tuning the 4.0. Hopefully I am in the right place.