Syked ECU Tuning Software (for 97-04 TJs)

Well I had a few free minutes this weekend to adjust my timing map.
I can definitely vouge the 4.0L do like more timing, I can feel a big difference in mid range power and way less throttle to get the beast moving from a stop.
when I have more time I will adjust fueling, to see if there more to be had.

Last edited:
I finally took the time to test the stock tune vs additional timing. I did several 0-60 runs with each tune and with stock tune times were 14.15 to 14.20. Modified timing was 12.75 to 12.79. I was surprised at repeatability. I used obdlink lx for testing.

Those numbers don't really mean anything to me because the only time I have gone WOT was testing today. The difference in the way it drive is very noticeable. The difference driving back to back is significant. Less throttle results in more acceleration.

My laptop is on the blink now. When I get the laptop going again I'll try adding a little fuel and see if there is more power there. Test were done with 87 octane.

I'm also changing from 4.10 to 5.38 and will test that difference too.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
For those with Syked ECU Tuning, there is now a forum on their website. It is new and doesn't have many members at this time, but it should grow as word gets out. If you have questions go there and share here. I found that Rubicon speedo correction is not yet available, but on the list of things to do.

Brianj5600:
Following here & there.
Purchased SET software / tuner for an '04.
I'm looking to make changes for my stroker; AE, A/F, spark. Starting to make sense of some of it.
I'll save the specifics to the forum there.
I'll throw my hat in here in case anyone wants to bounce things back & forth.
The more people jump into this, hopefully the more info/help we'll be able to share.

Reactions: Brianj5600
I wonder how long it will be before open source tuning comes along... I need to poke around a bit.

I picked up a superchips flashpaq locally for dirt cheap. It for sure raises the timing, but I havent logged how much or what other changes it made. Even the '87 octane' tune has a fairly agressive timing table, escpecially for an engine without a knock sensor.

Reactions: Brianj5600
Brianj5600:
Following here & there.
Purchased SET software / tuner for an '04.
I'm looking to make changes for my stroker; AE, A/F, spark. Starting to make sense of some of it.
I'll save the specifics to the forum there.
I'll throw my hat in here in case anyone wants to bounce things back & forth.
The more people jump into this, hopefully the more info/help we'll be able to share.

Have you looked at all into adding knock sensors? You may have seen my post at Syked forum. I've heard yes and no opinions, but no one has tried it. There is a branch that includes knock sensors.

Last edited:
Just build a set of 'det-cans'
Basically you take one of the little spy toy listening devices, extend the microphone wires long enough to attach the mic to the block. There are probably 50 different ways to do it, but the concept is the same.

There are standalone knock sensors too, usually some type of sensor and a LED meter that picks up the added noise.

Interfacing non-factory sensors to a ecu is just about impossible.

Adding a knock sensor to a ecu not programed for one is highly unlikely.
I havent looked into syked too much yet, but have experiance tuning subarus and megasquirt ecus.

The software is in Syked for knock sensors. I don't know if the hardware is in all the jtec ECUs. Some other engines using jtec in other platforms have them.

This thread has really piqued my curiosity and interest in TJ engine tuning. The problem is, I know zero about tuning computer controlled engines. Haven't tuned an engine since dual point distributors and Holley and Webber carbs. Would someone mind going over this for me? I imagine the theory is the same with much different mechanics. Please and thank you.

Edited to add: Looks like a good place for me to start. http://www.enginebasics.com/EFI Tuning.html
Carry on...

Last edited:
I have tracked down that 4.7 ho uses pin 25 in the black connector is for knock sensors. I haven't spent a lot of time researching though. Here is a screen shot of knock sensor configuration.

Annotation 2019-03-26 153611.png

Hey @Brianj5600, any updates with the tune?? I’m really excited to get my hands on a tuner and start playing too. Built a FSAE racecar whiles studying and got my feet wet with tuning.

How’s the 8 month report?

Brian - I just found this thread coming from ours on the other board. I've looked into stand alone knock sensors in the past and most are pricey. I did find a couple rudimentary idiot light styles. Have a look at Viatrack for example. Very basic and there's a few guys making them.

Aside from correction tables, the stock pcm references two main spark tables, one for part throttle and one for WOT. I still haven't done a side by side comparison with your and my table. Which one have you tuned in the attached screenshots?

Hey @Brianj5600, any updates with the tune?? I’m really excited to get my hands on a tuner and start playing too. Built a FSAE racecar whiles studying and got my feet wet with tuning.

How’s the 8 month report?

8 months? I've had the tuning software more like 8 weeks. I really have not messed with anything other than timing above 50 kPa. It helped a ton. I'm still considering a turbo to help it along on the interstate. I don't need one around Tennessee, but out west pulling a expedition trailer would be a plus.

Brian - I just found this thread coming from ours on the other board. I've looked into stand alone knock sensors in the past and most are pricey. I did find a couple rudimentary idiot light styles. Have a look at Viatrack for example. Very basic and there's a few guys making them.

Aside from correction tables, the stock pcm references two main spark tables, one for part throttle and one for WOT. I still haven't done a side by side comparison with your and my table. Which one have you tuned in the attached screenshots?

Are you using Hp Tuners or Syked? I've not giving up yet on activation of a knock sensor on my factory PCM. The software is there in Syked. I also have had good luck looking at plugs to determine if I am getting close to detonation. I've had a few motors with nitrous and a turbo V8 making good power. None had a knock sensor and tuned by heat in the sparkplug.

Syked has 3 spark tables, warm up, egr off and egr on. The tables are egr off. Just watching timing while driving I'm not sure it ever uses egr on table. That table has greatly reduced advance.

8 months? I've had the tuning software more like 8 weeks. I really have not messed with anything other than timing above 50 kPa. It helped a ton. I'm still considering a turbo to help it along on the interstate. I don't need one around Tennessee, but out west pulling a expedition trailer would be a plus.

Ha, my apologies. I glanced at your join date and thought it was your post date.