Synthetic rope failure: Does it drop or recoil?

I'm not advocating for the abrasion guard, I'm saying the comparison is has some flaws. The comparison clearly shows that the other guard is much better, but a more realistic comparison would tell us whether they are good enough.

You can't fault me for missing a point that wasn't in the videos. The videos don't show what the guard looked like afterwards. So it's a reasonable assumption that the rope broke from rubbing against the guard while under a tensile load, and the guard didn't because it was only subjected to the friction.

Once again, the comparison isn't realistic because the rope is being run over a knife edge which really increases the stress due to the small contact area. While yes the woven guard was terrible in that scenario, the videos don't prove that they wouldn't work over an edge with a much larger radius. I definitely suspect that they wouldn't be up to snuff, but there's no proof in the videos.
I would not have done the video the way I did were it not for me witnessing many sets of rigging on trails where the tubular abrasion guard was run over a knife edge and I picked it up and put a wadded up sweatshirt under it to save the rope.

I'll get you a picture of the pin prick sized hole in the abrasion guard that shows the wear and how fast the line cuts a hole in it.

At no point in time during the use of a winch for recovery is a tubular abrasion guard slid onto the line good enough or even anything resembling close enough.
They hide damage.
They are unwieldy to spool in and generally get caught and bunch up.
They add unnecessary bulk to the line that can better be used for additional footage of line on the winch.
They wear through almost instantly under winch loads.

Got this today

A37B84BD-BDCB-425C-85F6-BEF043029FC7.jpeg

D2237E73-64AD-48DD-878D-53D2CD8F17C8.jpeg
006178FD-160B-4EAC-AE1F-DA3CA53E2530.jpeg
F0AE0D4A-E3E5-4595-83AC-44C6E59D70B9.jpeg
893A4AA4-1831-4A5E-9853-185DA1F8272E.jpeg
B7CC2ACB-2EE4-4232-A3C5-31837E73D98C.jpeg
8FDDFCCD-EED7-4402-9216-141CB4BBE4E1.jpeg

There’s a casting ridge right at the apex of the opening of the old one

I have learned more than I ever knew about mounted winches than I knew before, by reading these posts.
Sadly, even well known companies have hopped on the recovery gear bandwagon and it is clear from their products that knowledge does not equal understanding. One of the worst offenders is Poison Spyder. Their hawse fairlead is barely radiused around the opening.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Sadly, even well known companies have hopped on the recovery gear bandwagon and it is clear from their products that knowledge does not equal understanding. One of the worst offenders is Poison Spyder. Their hawse fairlead is barely radiused around the opening.
The Warn fairlead had half as much radius on the inside as the outside, you would think they would be the same.

The Warn fairlead had half as much radius on the inside as the outside, you would think they would be the same.
How does that matter, the line only varies in angle from a full to empty drum? Let's be realistic, there isn't a need for anything other than proper clearance on the inside and a very small radius to be sure you can fully load the drum and empty it without hitting an edge.

How does that matter, the line only varies in angle from a full to empty drum? Let's be realistic, there isn't a need for anything other than proper clearance on the inside and a very small radius to be sure you can fully load the drum and empty it without hitting an edge.

I thought the same as you but the evidence is melted rope on the inside radius.

Can't argue with that, surprising that the rope bends so much going to the drum, mine is almost a straight shot but I've got an old steel hawse (and steel line).
The TRE Has the same radius inside as out, which seems would give the rope less friction exposure.

So that black shmeg on the Warn pictures is the rope? I thought it was damage to the finish on the fairlead, just figured it out. Was your Warn steel or Al?

Update! The need for a new fairlead led to a whole new front bumper and shedding 35lbs.

I ended up with a Motobilt stubby to replace the heavy old square tube anchor.
20190729_142611.jpg

What matters here is fitting the TRE fairlead.
20190729_172702.jpg

While the width is more than adequate, Motobilt's fairlead mount opening is not tall enough to clear the TRE scribe line.

However, I when I use this piece of tube to trace where the rope will feed, ....
20190729_172641.jpg

20190729_172620.jpg

... I could not find a position where the rope could contact the mount opening. As best as I can tell with this particular arrangement, I shouldn't need to widen the opening.

Does anyone see something I'm not seeing or know something I'm not knowing?

Reactions: TJ Starting
Update! The need for a new fairlead led to a whole new front bumper and shedding 35lbs.

I ended up with a Motobilt stubby to replace the heavy old square tube anchor.
View attachment 107100

What matters here is fitting the TRE fairlead.
View attachment 107102

While the width is more than adequate, Motobilt's fairlead mount opening is not tall enough to clear the TRE scribe line.

However, I when I use this piece of tube to trace where the rope will feed, ....
View attachment 107103

View attachment 107104

... I could not find a position where the rope could contact the mount opening. As best as I can tell with this particular arrangement, I shouldn't need to widen the opening.

Does anyone see something I'm not seeing or know something I'm not knowing?
Your test rod needs to move down to the top of the bumper. That is a scenario that the line will see when it stacks up on one side.