Synthetic rope failure: Does it drop or recoil?

Reactions: xxdabroxx
This was/is a great learning thread. I learned more from reading the posts and replies than I could have ever learned on my own, from experienced people as well. I'm not quite ready for a winch yet but have much more info. to consider when I finally get one.

Reactions: DrDmoney and jjvw
This was/is a great learning thread. I learned more from reading the posts and replies than I could have ever learned on my own, from experienced people as well. I'm not quite ready for a winch yet but have much more info. to consider when I finally get one.
It may get better. My window motor should get here soon and I'll be able to finish my little miniature worm gear winch. I've got enough small hanging scales to place at various points in the load stream to show what happens to various loading points on a small scale. I'm getting some very needed help from Mr. FireJeep for which I am grateful.

I'm thrilled to find the worm gear drive. That simplifies the mini winch in that I don't have to build a brake for it.

It may get better. My window motor should get here soon and I'll be able to finish my little miniature worm gear winch. I've got enough small hanging scales to place at various points in the load stream to show what happens to various loading points on a small scale. I'm getting some very needed help from Mr. FireJeep for which I am grateful.

I'm thrilled to find the worm gear drive. That simplifies the mini winch in that I don't have to build a brake for it.

Am looking forward to your demonstration.

Take a look at the scribe line on the back of our fairleads. That is how big the opening on your fairlead mount needs to be for using synthetic rope correctly. 1.75"

This is a feature on our fairleads I admittedly don't magnify enough, but of utmost importance!

Ricky

This is the scribe line/template for the fairlead mount opening.
20190702_213939.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
Awesome thread guys, thanks for all the thoughts and time put into this. I always look forward to these types of threads.

Looking at TRE's website their synthetic ropes come with a 10' protective nylon sheath, should these be removed or are they a good thing?

https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product/38-black-winch-rope-safety-thimble-2/
View attachment 101636

Yes, as mentioned, we put them on there because people generally don't buy products without gimmicks they think they need to solve problems that aren't. None of my personal vehicle winches have or have had any sheath at the drum end or the termination end. I keep my stuff simple. Drum attachment, rope, Safety Thimble! Don't get me started on a "pad" under the Safety Thimble!

Reactions: Powdermonkey