Synthetic Rope vs Steel Cable

for the sake of science ......this is the grain or porous nature that's been described. this is a piece of cast 6061 that's been snapped.

280170463_5122232681179549_8605999973726329609_n.jpg

Reactions: BillW
TRE doesn't say cast or billet and there could be a spectrum of cast quality based on who and where it was done, no?
From TRE:

TRE Hawse Fairleads Advantages:​

• Precision CNC machined from 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum
  • MIL-SPEC Type III Hard Coat anodized to reduce fading
  • Industry Standard 10″ bolt pattern for winches 8,000 to 20,000 lbs.
  • Winch Fairlead opening is designed to cause the least abrasion to synthetic winch rope while under load
  • Scribe line on the back of each fairlead to ensure you have the correct 1.75″ opening diameter for synthetic rope.
  • 100% Made in the USA
  • Comes with all hardware needed for installation

I would take that as billet and considering the cost of the Safety Thimble fairlead they are not starting with any casting or forging based on the price.

if this is accurate it'd tell me more about what the actual base material was rather than what they charge for it.
It just means the back of the opening is radiused and it has a line delineating the fairlead mount minimum opening size to keep sharp edges away from the rope. I know what the base material is. I work with the machinist and I designed the part.

well mine wern't no high end piece. the machined surface is rolled around the backside quite a bit to allow it to travel cleanly, but i fear whats underneath once the smooth PC worn. i consider it a disposable item, due for upgrade.

well mine wern't no high end piece. the machined surface is rolled around the backside quite a bit to allow it to travel cleanly, but i fear whats underneath once the smooth PC worn. i consider it a disposable item, due for upgrade.
Synthetic lines are cheap, no need for a good fairlead to protect them anyway.

That screws me up a but because I hadn't considered a crappy forging die set.
It did for me too. The cavities on the back side of the thing screams cast though.
That isn't the Warn hawse I was using. Mine was steel or cast iron with a black PC. Either way, it wasn't appropriate for synthetic.
Cast ductile iron. Good for wire rope hell on synthetic.

Reactions: jjvw
It did for me too. The cavities on the back side of the thing screams cast though.

Cast ductile iron. Good for wire rope hell on synthetic.
Not that anyone should but some time spent smoothing the opening and getting it near polished would make one very serviceable. Too much maintenance to get the rust off after every use though.

Reactions: BillW
Not that anyone should but some time spent smoothing the opening and getting it near polished would make one very serviceable. Too much maintenance to get the rust off after every use though.
I did some file work on mine, but nowhere near a polish. I remember taking some small knobs and flashing off of the opening. I knew enough back then that they shouldn't be there. And there was some pitting that I relied on the powder coat to fill in. That was a mistake.

The bags never really made sense to me, since the only real way for the bag to slow the line is to physically attach the weight to the line. Then you have a big heavy bag being moved at a high speed.
I don't think a bag of any reasonable trail weight or type fo construction is of much help. When the line parts the bag and the cable both fall at the exact same rate, 32 feet per second per second. Unless the end of the rope happens to whip around the bag it will likely just shoot right through the fold.

the tension on the cable would alter that simple gravity vs height formula, no? the bag is not under tension the string is.

the tension on the cable would alter that simple gravity vs height formula, no? the bag is not under tension the string is.
The bag will drop the height of the line above the ground by the length of time it is able to stay on the line. At those speeds, it lowers the height of the cable by fractions of an inch before the cable shoots out of the fold. The only way you will change that is to attach the bag to the line. Then you need the crystal ball to predict the break location.

Two bullets, one fired from a gun and one dropped from your hand at the exact same time, will fall to the ground at the exact same time.