Synthetic Rope vs Steel Cable

My Warn Zeon wiinch has synthetic rope on it. Not thinking of changing, just wondering about safety factors. Does synthetic rope recoil like steel cable?
Your question is obviously not steel vs synthetic but rather safe usage of synthetic. I think you should follow all of the safe methods for recovery regardless of the line type. Just because the synthetic doesn't release the same energy doesn't mean you should do anything careless. Keep people away and always be aware of the direction things are going to go when they break. My guess is most folks wouldn't want any recovery gear thrown at their nuts regardless of what it's made of. The last thing we need is a bunch of idiots filming youtube videos straddling the line shouting, "it's all good, it's synthetic."

Reactions: IJK and BillW
No. The cable, the bag, a bullet fired from a gun, and a rock will all fall at the same rate. (yes ... I know ... in a vacuum but for real world purposes its the same rate)
Two bullets, one fired from a gun and one dropped from your hand at the exact same time, will fall to the ground at the exact same time.
i didn't mean to challenge physics...........just came out all wrong.
Blaine fixed it in the next post, with engagement time.

Reactions: jjvw
That weight of that flappy thing isn't supposed to fall faster. As the line breaks it is "supposed" to go all swerve like and catch onto the flag. The flag then uses air and it's weight to "catch" the line and burn off the energy. That's the theory. It burns energy as it accelerates and flaps around. I guess when you use a backhoe to rip the steel it doesn't grab the flag so it doesn't really do much.

Reactions: someguysjeep
For Sale: 125’ 5/16” Warn Steel Cable. Guaranteed to blow your nuts off if you’re an idiot.

4A6813A8-9791-4EDF-AB41-B890A834A773.jpeg

• USA Proud
  • Haha
Reactions: SouthernLJ and RINC
That weight of that flappy thing isn't supposed to fall faster. As the line breaks it is "supposed" to go all swerve like and catch onto the flag. The flag then uses air and it's weight to "catch" the line and burn off the energy. That's the theory. It burns energy as it accelerates and flaps around. I guess when you use a backhoe to rip the steel it doesn't grab the flag so it doesn't really do much.
this seems like the best case, the bunched wire snags the bag and it becomes a momentum draining drag anchor.....but is dependent on that crystal ball mentioned earlier...... to close to the break and it scoots right through b4 enough coil is able to snag the bag.

Reactions: BillW
Synthetic and wire rope don't recoil exactly the same. Wire rope is wound and straightens out when stretched under load. When it breaks it acts like a spring that is snapping back to it's natural shape from its breaking point. You can see it winding back in the first video. Synthetic is braided so it can't "unwind". The rope expands along its entire length at the same time like a very long chinese finger trap. It won't just fall to the ground but the reaction force is significantly lower.

As far as the fairlead question, what about the roller fairlead? Back in the day when I had my 74 CJ5, roller fairleads were about all you saw. Now it seems the Hawse is most common.....

Synthetic and wire rope don't recoil exactly the same. Wire rope is wound and straightens out when stretched under load. When it breaks it acts like a spring that is snapping back to it's natural shape from its breaking point. You can see it winding back in the first video. Synthetic is braided so it can't "unwind". The rope expands along its entire length at the same time like a very long chinese finger trap. It won't just fall to the ground but the reaction force is significantly lower.
The first video is fairly anomalous. Regardless of how they recoil, the speed of the line after the break is relatively the same. The force still works out to be the same mass x velocity equation. The only reason for the lower force is less weight per foot for the same diameters of line.

As far as the fairlead question, what about the roller fairlead? Back in the day when I had my 74 CJ5, roller fairleads were about all you saw. Now it seems the Hawse is most common.....
You can thank the internet for that one. When synthetic rope first came on the scene some failures occurred with worn out rollers at extreme off angles so all rollers were condemned and the thus the rise of the hawse. The web mob was so bad that it convinced winch manufactures to stop including rollers in their winches if they came with synthetic regardless of the data that rollers were just fine.

You can thank the internet for that one. When synthetic rope first came on the scene some failures occurred with worn out rollers at extreme off angles so all rollers were condemned and the thus the rise of the hawse. The web mob was so bad that it convinced winch manufactures to stop including rollers in their winches if they came with synthetic regardless of the data that rollers were just fine.
Several of the ones I saw were off angle and way up. Oddly, they were reported by folks with steel cable that said it caused the line to part under a high load.

1652717935916.png

Reactions: BillW and Blackjack
not well enough to follow ..plz explain.
i said more efficient due to mass it's handling not if it was actually needed. but if you have an opinion of them plz share.

oh boy it's turns out it's a factor55 video, most is ridiculous pulling points, but the recoil is evident............14-15m is the dyneema rope and it snaps back to the pulling rig.
Best quote: "it might not kill you, but it will de-nut you"

still come in the Warn M8 box, very similar the the 1 posted above. had it up for sale on FB nobody wanted it. cable too.
i thought i read some older roller leads weren't overlapped enough and the synthetic line could get off an end and chaffed.

is a 5-7# set of bulky rollers desirable vs a .5-1.5# of sleek aluminum.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband
still come in the Warn M8 box, very similar the the 1 posted above. had it up for sale on FB nobody wanted it. cable too.
i thought i read some older roller leads weren't overlapped enough and the synthetic line could get off and end and chaffed.

is a 5-7# set of bulky rollers desirable vs a .5-1.5# of sleek aluminum.
Agreed, I have a roller + steel cable off my m8 (non-S) that I've received no interest in so far. I could only imagine that warn knows this and charges that premium for the "synthetic version" for that reason.