Synthetic ropes and the rope guards that come on them

@Garza why does TRE include the abrasion guard with the line? I installed mine with the guard before seeing post from @mrblaine. Am I missing something?
As stated in the other thread, the belief in the myth by the average customer is so strong that they will not purchase a quality line unless it has the guard on it. The myth was started by Warn when synthetics first came out with them making the statement that they did not support the use of synthetic line due to their explanation of the steel cable being a heat sink that pulled heat away from the winch. To which I always asked the question, what happens when you do a pull that requires most of the line to be off the drum? Where is the heat sink at that point?

Others perpetuated the myth by using a sleeve on the drum as a heat guard, then a chafe guard and since Warn introduced their own synthetics on the winches, it must not have been as important as they originally stated.

It is easier to sell and try to educate than to educate first while the customer turns his back and goes and buys the line with the guard on it. Also why I made the videos.

Thanks for the information. I haven’t used my winch yet but will remove the guard at some point.
Just received my recovery kit from TRE last Monday. Hopefully that remains unused as well.

Reactions: Chris
Let's get some stickers made that say "Friends don't let friends use slide-on abrasion guards." Or, let's just have some nylon tubing custom printed with "This is not an abrasion guard" and start handing them out with paid memberships to the forum.

Reactions: jjvw
If customers understood what they were doing, the first things any of them would do is take the "abrasion guard" off, try to buy the line without it and use something better that actually works. Yet, the folks I'm in touch with report that it is almost impossible to sell a synthetic line without one. That is how ingrained ignorance is and gets and very similar to the tight fitting holes on shackle mounts, trying to get folks to understand just how flawed they are is a battle that makes Sisyphus look like a rank amateur."

What is wrong with tight shackle holes?

Don’t believe I’m familiar with” the other thread”.

Thanks
4th thread down in this section. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/synthetic-rope-failure-does-it-drop-or-recoil.23609/

There is also the Australian video in it that really needs to be watched so those that believe steel cable is somehow special can learn that it isn't. Of particular importance is what happens when it comes in contact with something like the sheetmetal on a vehicle door under load which is also what prompted my crap response to the "do the same test with steel and see what happens" bullshit.

Reactions: Powdermonkey
Lack of movement increases the ability to bind. Side loading of a shackle isn't a wise thing, but we are forced to do it because of the way most of our bumpers are designed. A hook might actually be better than a tab in that regard. It's worth noting that a soft shackle can't be side loaded.

Reactions: matkal
Done correctly, a recovery or loading of any shackle needs to be done in such a manner that you don't side load the shackle against the pin. Or, if you do have to do a pull that side loads the shackle against the pin, you have to reduce the load against it. The tight fitting hole simply shows that folks who build bumpers with shackle tabs don't understand how stuff works, owners like them that way so the shackles don't rattle, and the whole mess is based on just ignorance. A few things stop it from being a much bigger issue than it could be. First is that a quality 3/4" shackle is so over rated for anything a 10,000 lbs. winch can do to it that few ever have an issue. The second is most pulls are done with very little line out so the winch power is greatly reduced.

What can and does happen though is there are more devices used in recovery that aren't ridiculously overkill so the understanding of angle pulls and the reductions in load capacity that necessitates for various things is not common knowledge and should be.
Crosby-rigging-tips.png

Last edited:
mrblaine, now if you can explain shackles that well I am sure you can educate people about anchors and CODs......