Synthetic winch rope install

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Wow these Jeep shops have gotten expensive in the last 10 years!! $125 to install a $350 rope. I can get ropes online much cheaper and do it myself. I just don't know what size and length for a Smittybuilt 9.500. And I assume you put it on with a good tension like the cable? Thanks, ST

try Tactical Recovery Equipment, TRE

if i'm not mistaken it's the 12 strand dyneema you desire for it's ease of splicing. if you run 5/16" steel you go up to 3/8" synth and then you cut the length buy about 15% to compensate for full spool diameter of the thicker line.
1 might opt to change the fairlead as well if synth can get into the corners when pulled.

Reactions: Saddle Tramp
It would definitely use 3/8" diameter synthetic and according to the chart from TRE's website, it would be 85ft in length. TRE's 12 strand UHMWPE synthetic rope is rated for 20,000lbs.
I have a Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S and it uses 3/8"x100'. I installed an aluminum Thimble from TRE that replaced the hook.

Installing the rope wasn't too bad after I got the drum wedge pulled in tight and below drum surface. I spoke with Warn on phone and they state you need 10 wraps on drum before loading rope, followed by a controlled pull of about 1000lbs. on a flat surface. They also said to wind about 6ft and check to make sure it's winding tight side to side. Having a second person really helped.

Winch Conversion Chart

Reactions: Saddle Tramp
Two of the things I won't cheap out on are winch ropes and winches. I consider them to be not only for recoveries but for emergency situations too. I definitely wouldn't go with one of those cheap online Chinese ropes, stay with good quality like is sold by www.tacticalrecoveryequipment.com. And as above, make sure you go with 3/8" for synthetic even though the wire rope may be 5/16. That's because you want an extra safety margin for if the rope has to rub over something while being used and synthetic, as great as it is, simply isn't as abrasion resistant as a wire rope is.

I wouldn't let that turn you away from TRE if they are using 75 or 78, creep is not really an issue for winch line unless you regularly hang your Jeep to dry after you wash it.

so don't you jus amazon a coil of winch rope an wind it on with the winch ?
the only time in 4 years I've used my winch is to suck someone else out......of mud or snow.