Tachometer needle on wrong side of pin

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
So my battery died this weekend, and I swapped it out. I looked down at the tach needle this morning and saw that the needle is now on the wrong side of the pin. I’m not sure how that happened, Google results say that it has happened to people before.

Is there a way to get it to the proper side of the pin without removing the cluster and turning it counter clockwise? I can remove the cluster, I’m just more curious at this point.

E720996A-01A4-4640-85A1-58DA8CD5A605.jpeg
A2F715C7-594A-40E8-A87A-62C3A686551E.jpeg

That’s an easy fix. This happened to me when I was fixing something in my grandmas Jeep. Just remove the cluster and turn it upside down. With the cluster facing you, turn it clockwise and let gravity allow the needles to fall back into place.

*edit* it looks like there isn’t enough room for the needle to clear the bottom of the cluster. Just remove the clear plastic face and move it back. There are little plastic tabs on the side that release it. Shouldn’t take you any more than 15 minutes from removal to reinstall.

Reactions: Chris
I was in the staging area of a trail ride. Went to start the Jeep and nothing. Tried a few more times and it started, so didn’t shut if off after the trail and drove straight to the parts store. They tested it and it had a dead cell. Four years almost to the day since I had bought it - 2/27/16.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
This happened to me a couple years ago. I recall having to pull the face off the cluster to move the needle back where it belongs.

Reactions: Serbonze
The tach needle is back where it is supposed to be. I just removed the cluster and turned it counter clockwise with my finger. I really wanted to see if anyone had ever tried anything different, and I found people trying magnets and reset procedures. It seems like it was just as easy to remove the cluster and at the same time clean behind it. It was nasty.

That happened to mine once. If I remember right I think I just unhooked the battery and it corrected itself when I reconnected it.

how does this even happen in the first place? And physically what does it do to correct itself? Does it rotate counter clockwise to get back into position? There's enough clearance at 6 o'clock to get all the way around?

Question in regards to needles, can they be pulled and reattached to point at different position ?
My speedometer needle is ahead by 3 mph in comparison to actual speed

There is a difference between what speed sensor outputs and what speedometer shows, and that difference is roughly 3mph.
Is the difference always 3 mph or just 3 mph at a certain speed? Like for example, is it 15-->18, 40-->43, 65-->68? or just 3 mph at a single speed, say like 65 mph?

The speedo being slightly off isn't uncommon. As tires wear, they change diameter and the speedo will always be off by some margin, usually expressed as a %.

Example: your speedo reads 65 mph but you're actually going 68 mph, then you have a [(65-68)/65] = ~4.6% different in actual vs displayed. Round this up to an easy-to-calculated-in-your-head number of 5% and you can adjust easily (take 10% of any speed you're traveling, divide that by 2, and you now have the correction).

Is the difference always 3 mph or just 3 mph at a certain speed? Like for example, is it 15-->18, 40-->43, 65-->68? or just 3 mph at a single speed, say like 65 mph?

The speedo being slightly off isn't uncommon. As tires wear, they change diameter and the speedo will always be off by some margin, usually expressed as a %.

Example: your speedo reads 65 mph but you're actually going 68 mph, then you have a [(65-68)/65] = ~4.6% different in actual vs displayed. Round this up to an easy-to-calculated-in-your-head number of 5% and you can adjust easily (take 10% of any speed you're traveling, divide that by 2, and you now have the correction).
No that is not what I am referring to, think of it as not properly calibrated guage, that will always display a reading that is 3 less than what ever measurement actually is.

Speed sensor outputs a signal, that signal is how a computer knows at what speed vehicle is traveling. Computer then sends that reading to all other components that rely on it to function.

Simply put, If I were to plug in OBD reader/scanner and go on 60 mph ride, it will be able to digitally display that I am going 60 mph, that is because car computer knows that we are going 60, it tells everything that we are going 60, if you need to display 60 then plz display 60. Speedometer takes that message and displays what it was told, which is 60, but the needle on speedometer will be pointing between 60 and 65.

It is not speed sensor, speed gear or tire size/wear related.

No that is not what I am referring to, think of it as not properly calibrated guage, that will always display a reading that is 3 less than what ever measurement actually is.

Speed sensor outputs a signal, that signal is how a computer knows at what speed vehicle is traveling. Computer then sends that reading to all other components that rely on it to function.

Simply put, If I were to plug in OBD reader/scanner and go on 60 mph ride, it will be able to digitally display that I am going 60 mph, that is because car computer knows that we are going 60, it tells everything that we are going 60, if you need to display 60 then plz display 60. Speedometer takes that message and displays what it was told, which is 60, but the needle on speedometer will be pointing between 60 and 65.

It is not speed sensor, speed gear or tire size/wear related.
Agreed, if you're ALWAYS 3mph below actual, it's a gauge issue...