Tail-light wiring can't be true, or am I missing something?

q8ieng

TJ Enthusiast
I have Wrangler 2000 Sport

I am in a truly long journey in fixing the tail-light, as they are not working properly.
I took off the tail-lights, both of them..
And there was a surprise!!!!!

3-wires on the driver side (Black&Yellow, Purple&I guess another colour, Green&Reddish)

4-wires on the passenger side!!!
(Purple, Black&Yellow, Green&Red, Brown&Red I guess)

and TWO wires they are separate whicH I do not know what for (marked on the attached photos) - Passenger side

Is this fine or is there something wrong?
I checked manuals available in here, and on google images I got diagrams too but each one is different and I am lost!

Can anyone help please?
Photos attached

thank you.

42ED2D84-A7C0-4537-93C3-C67F9909A13A.jpeg

BB894EEF-9F59-4EAA-9A07-2D32FCDB0F42.jpeg

AFB60C60-82CA-4C3C-9BF4-3094D5C7F4CB.jpeg

That's normal I think, the wires on yours go from passenger side with four wires to the drivers side where there are only three and end there. The DG/RD wire passes through the passenger side on it's way to the driver side.

On yours DG/RD (driver) and BR/RD (passenger) are probably signals/brake lights. VT/BK or purple is probably reverse lights and BK/YL is the parking lights.

That's normal I think, the wires on yours go from passenger side with four wires to the drivers side where there are only three and end there. The DG/RD wire passes through the passenger side on it's way to the driver side.

On yours DG/RD (driver) and BR/RD (passenger) are probably signals/brake lights. VT/BK or purple is probably reverse lights and BK/YL is the parking lights.

Thank you for your reply.

But what is the difference between Parking light and Brake light?
You meant I connect both wires to the same Light?

but driver side has only 3 wires!!

Check a wiring diagram for an export Jeep. They are different because of the amber turn signals.

Check a wiring diagram for an export Jeep. They are different because of the amber turn signals.

An export Jeep must be in KM not Miles correct?
But my Jeep is running on Miles..

and where to get it.. 😞

The fourth wire is ground through the housing.

The wire colors I quoted are from a US spec jeep and match the OPs Jeep exactly, I don't understand your point. I know there is a difference in how they operate but simply saying check another diagram isn't too helpful.

Brake light is the high power filament. Parking light is the low power. Post a picture of your taillights and what issue you are having, maybe that'll help. At this point everything looks fine. There are converters that easily switch between US and export taillights but you have to know where you are starting from.

The wire colors I quoted are from a US spec jeep and match the OPs Jeep exactly, I don't understand your point. I know there is a difference in how they operate but simply saying check another diagram isn't too helpful.

Brake light is the high power filament. Parking light is the low power. Post a picture of your taillights and what issue you are having, maybe that'll help. At this point everything looks fine. There are converters that easily switch between US and export taillights but you have to know where you are starting from.

Mkay

Thank you pagrey for the time.
I just found this diagram, it is what I have I guess. And it clearly says that the 4th wire is not being used, so I will just neglect it. Correct?

and it is not a diagram of export cars.

my tail-light, I really don’t know which one it is, as the previous owner had it changed several times, BUT, I do believe that since it is running on Miles that means it is not for export, which implies that I have the (red and white) light.
And this what I am trying to install.

correct me if am wrong please, or if there is anything I said doesn’t make sense

C3525FFA-40B1-4E07-A12A-5E501DA71F9A.jpeg

Reactions: Daryl
It looks like you've got it figured out and you don't have to connect the DG/RD wire on the passenger side. Since your taillights are't orange it also sounds like those are correct. Just hook them up until you get it working they way it is supposed to.

@Daryl I didn't mean anything negative, both the non-export and export Jeeps have the same wires in the same places the same colors they just do different things so it can be confusing just looking at a diagram. Wiring for most people is a terrible experience at best.

Reactions: q8ieng and Daryl
It looks like you've got it figured out and you don't have to connect the DG/RD wire on the passenger side. Since your taillights are't orange it also sounds like those are correct. Just hook them up until you get it working they way it is supposed to.

@Daryl I didn't mean anything negative, both the non-export and export Jeeps have the same wires in the same places the same colors they just do different things so it can be confusing just looking at a diagram. Wiring for most people is a terrible experience at best.

Thank you tons, they worked fine.
BUT, there is a problem the back-up light is not working even though I am using the same wires on the diagram.

Note: my TJ was on Manual gear, but the previous owner converted it to Automatic.

What are the possible things to check?

Thanks again

IMG_6938.jpg

I have Wrangler 2000 Sport

I am in a truly long journey in fixing the tail-light, as they are not working properly.
I took off the tail-lights, both of them..
And there was a surprise!!!!!

3-wires on the driver side (Black&Yellow, Purple&I guess another colour, Green&Reddish)

4-wires on the passenger side!!!
(Purple, Black&Yellow, Green&Red, Brown&Red I guess)

and TWO wires they are separate whicH I do not know what for (marked on the attached photos) - Passenger side

Is this fine or is there something wrong?
I checked manuals available in here, and on google images I got diagrams too but each one is different and I am lost!

Can anyone help please?
Photos attached

thank you.

View attachment 119896

View attachment 119897

View attachment 119904
The pair in question should go up to the connectors on the side of the tub near the rear for the 3rd brake light.

Reactions: q8ieng
The pair in question should go up to the connectors on the side of the tub near the rear for the 3rd brake light.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the two wires.
What remains now is the back up light