Tail light wiring differences

dxbtj

I took my tj to get one of those cheap led tailights installed but the garage had difficulty to get them to work.

The led taillights had 3 wires vs the stock tgat had 4 multi colored. For reference my tailights are the orange + red style lense

When looking online at pictures of TJ plugs i noticed some looked like a vertical 4 pin and others looked like a more square style. Is this a yearly difference in the plugs or import/export spec difference?

I believe your Jeep has an extra wire. Do your factory tail lights have separate orange turn signals? If so, that is probably the 4th wire, and I am not sure how they would get wired to a light with a brake light/turn signal combination.

I believe your Jeep has an extra wire. Do your factory tail lights have separate orange turn signals? If so, that is probably the 4th wire, and I am not sure how they would get wired to a light with a brake light/turn signal combination.

Thanks for the response! Yes it does have the orange turn signals. I wa shoping maybe some of the other TJ taillights could be a direct plug in as i saw they had different style connectors

Im not sure if that converter would eork since it has 4 wires? But my knowledge is quite limited i woll try to post pics of the different plugs i saw online

So the differenr plugs i saw were like the below

My style is the orange light. But if i remember correctly my plug seems to look nore like the squarish one posted.

Maybe they mixed and matched parts for export to GCC

184254.jpg

Quadratec_Driver_Side_Tail_Light_98-06_Jeep_Wrangler_TJ.jpg

53333.jpg

So the differenr plugs i saw were like the below

My style is the orange light. But if i remember correctly my plug seems to look nore like the squarish one posted.
test
Maybe they mixed and matched parts for export to GCC

View attachment 80654

View attachment 80655

View attachment 80656

I have a 2004 TJ. The 2nd picture matches the plug I have on the driver's side tail light. The square one (1st picture) matches the plug on the passenger side tail light with three wires, one being orange. The trailer harness I ordered from Quadratec is supposed to fit the passenger side per the directions but it can't due to the difference in plugs. It has plugs that mate with the driver's side plug but when I install it on the driver side, the brake lights and turn signals do not work on the 4 pin trailer connection. I have one of those test lights that plugs into the trailer connection that verifies correct operation. I looked at the Curt #55363 harness but it has connectors that fit the ones pictured in photo #2. Anyone else run into this?

Last edited:
I have a 2004 TJ. The 2nd picture matches the plug I have on the driver's side tail light. The square one (1st picture) matches the plug on the passenger side tail light with three wires, one being orange. The trailer harness I ordered from Quadratec is supposed to fit the passenger side per the directions but it can't due to the difference in plugs. It has plugs that mate with the driver's side plug but when I install it on the driver side, the brake lights and turn signals do not work on the 4 pin trailer connection. I have one of those test lights that plugs into the trailer connection that verifies correct operation. I looked at the Curt #55363 harness but it has connectors that fit the ones pictured in photo #2. Anyone else run into this?
Curious if you had any success in this? I just started to install mine and had the same issue, the passenger side plug is different than the supplied connection. I even looked around to see if maybe I had the wrong plug but it's it. I had to quit because I thought it was a 20 minute job and ran out of time but I was hoping there was a real quick solution.

No personal experience, but normally a trailer plug would need to be tapped near the driver side (or which ever side the wiring harness runs to). Otherwise, how would it get a left turn signal from the passenger side for the trailer.

I to am having a problem mounting LED taillights.
My old units had four wires for:-
Reversing
Stop
Running
Turn
The new LED units has only three how do I hookup the Stop and turn wires.

My old unit is the same as in the pic below. (Thanks DXBTJ)

1593034157109.png

I to am having a problem mounting LED taillights.
My old units had four wires for:-
Reversing
Stop
Running
Turn
The new LED units has only three how do I hookup the Stop and turn wires.

My old unit is the same as in the pic below. (Thanks DXBTJ)

View attachment 171907
Heya,
Did you manage to get this sorted? I'm about to install some LED rear lights that has similar wiring.
Is it as simple as combining the two turn signal and brake wires into the one wire from the light?
Cheers