Tail Light Wiring Issues

ArticTJ

I took my corner armor off to paint and now running into issues with my wiring. It was cut and re wired to fit through the hole in the armor. I have these three from the harness. However there’s this 4th yellow wire.
image.jpg

It comes from the same wires as everything else. From the top.
image.jpg

I currently Have no break lights or turn signal

That yellow wire is not likely factory. Generally on the left side, there are four wires coming from the body side because the right side is wired through the left. It could be a remnant from a DIY trailer wiring harness or some other aftermarket accessory. If both of your taillamps work without it you probably can remove it.
Screenshot_20200330-194722_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

This diagram is from a 2006. Your wires may be different colors.

Last edited:
So I back tracked the Yellow mystery wire. It leads to the Green w/ Red tracer. However when I connect it to the other end of the Green w/ Red tracer. It doesn’t solve the issue. Anymore ideas?

Also to add. Not sure how much it helps but the right side works perfectly fine. Just the left(driver) side that has the issues

Could be a fluke and you burned the filament for brake/ turn. Take the bulbs out and swap right to left and vice-versa, try the simple things first;)

SC06 is correct, yellow is a trailer turn signal.

Bulb was good. After talking to my buddy I didn’t realize/forgot the turn signal needs to be bolted down for the ground. Gonna try again tomorrow and see how things go.

Could someone please help? I have a 2006 Wrangler but my wiring colors are not like on this post or in the manual. This photo is of my right tail light I have three wires and I neither one of them is white and light green or light green and yellow. I do have a brown and red but I also have a violet and black and a yellow and black. Could someone please help me figure out what these color combinations represent as far as turn signal and reverse?

Could someone please help? I have a 2006 Wrangler but my wiring colors are not like on this post or in the manual. This photo is of my right tail light I have three wires and I neither one of them is white and light green or light green and yellow. I do have a brown and red but I also have a violet and black and a yellow and black. Could someone please help me figure out what these color combinations represent as far as turn signal and reverse?
those are the colors on my 04.

04 tailights.PNG

Did you ever figure this out?

That yellow wire is not likely factory. Generally on the left side, there are four wires coming from the body side because the right side is wired through the left. It could be a remnant from a DIY trailer wiring harness or some other aftermarket accessory. If both of your taillamps work without it you probably can remove it.
View attachment 149442
This diagram is from a 2006. Your wires may be different colors.
So if my LEDs have black (PARK), red (STOP/TURN), and green (BACK UP), what's the wiring match up? I think it's safe to say the green LED wires pair to the WT/LG (white/light green) wires for backing up, but I'm stuck on where to connect the black and red wires.

Thanks in advance.

So if my LEDs have black (PARK), red (STOP/TURN), and green (BACK UP), what's the wiring match up? I think it's safe to say the green LED wires pair to the WT/LG (white/light green) wires for backing up, but I'm stuck on where to connect the black and red wires.

Thanks in advance.
Black to WT/YL, D/S red to DG/RD, P/S red to BR/RD.

Reactions: schabj3
Thanks I’ll give this a try. What do I do with the spare BR/RD on the driver side?
I'm not sure about that. It's a feed from the R/S, but I don't see what purpose it serves to the L/S. On the '04 schematic above, it says "not used, but there isn't a notation on the '06. Connect everything else up and see if it works. You might just need to cap it off.

I'm not sure about that. It's a feed from the R/S, but I don't see what purpose it serves to the L/S. On the '04 schematic above, it says "not used, but there isn't a notation on the '06. Connect everything else up and see if it works. You might just need to cap it off.
So I confirmed functions with multimeter. I made the connections by just twisting the wires but none of the lights are functioning.

Leads me to believe one of two things:

- Need better connections (solder)
- Lights are dead on arrival

I’m not great with how to test that the wires work but does it make sense that nothing would work if the connections are not super strong? I’m worried that if I solder everything it still isn’t going to work.

So I confirmed functions with multimeter. I made the connections by just twisting the wires but none of the lights are functioning.

Leads me to believe one of two things:

- Need better connections (solder)
- Lights are dead on arrival

I’m not great with how to test that the wires work but does it make sense that nothing would work if the connections are not super strong? I’m worried that if I solder everything it still isn’t going to work.
When you say " confirmed functions with multimeter", do you mean that you checked Voltage? If you're getting voltage, the system is functioning properly, the lights aren't. How are these grounded? You don't mention a ground wire. The factory lights are grounded when screwed to the body. If the same, you need to make sure that you have a good ground when testing. If not, make sure that the ground wire is connected solidly.
When you make your final connections, use crimp on connectors. I like to use UNINSULATED connectors with heat-shrink over them. Use a GOOD crimper, not the cheap junk you can get everywhere. If you think that someday you might need to remove them for some reason, insulated spade connectors work well.