Tail Light Wiring?

TJ's-TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Here is what I think:

Drivers side:
Violet/Black = Back-up (assume this gets 12V when in reverse)
Black/Yellow =Tail light (gets 12V when the lights are on)
Green/Red = Brake/Turn (gets 12V when the brake is on, pulsed 12V when turn signal is on?)

seems to be supported by this pic:
1570794847419.png

The wiring diagrams are less than clear because they call the black/yellow tail/stop
1570795749795.png

Can anyone confirm/explain?

1570794847020.png

Last edited:
sorry for the necro thread, but i am trying to replace my taillights with LEDs and when i took the driver's side light off my jeep and cut the harness free, i found my wires are not the same color as in this thread. i have a solid white wire, a white wire with a black stripe and a green wire with a black stripe. any ideas? advice? i am not an electrical guy, so don't get too technical. this was supposed to be a fast and easy swap, dammit.

sorry for the necro thread, but i am trying to replace my taillights with LEDs and when i took the driver's side light off my jeep and cut the harness free, i found my wires are not the same color as in this thread. i have a solid white wire, a white wire with a black stripe and a green wire with a black stripe. any ideas? advice? i am not an electrical guy, so don't get too technical. this was supposed to be a fast and easy swap, dammit.

Do you have a test light? If so, turn your lights on and turn that side turn signal on. The wire with constant voltage will be the tail light. The one turning on and off will be your turn signal. The third will be your reverse.

Reactions: CreepinDeth

Do you have a test light? If so, turn your lights on and turn that side turn signal on. The wire with constant voltage will be the tail light. The one turning on and off will be your turn signal. The third will be your reverse
This…..
I wouldnt be wiring anything without the proper tools
($10 for a cheap voltmeter or light)

Invest in at least one of them if youre gonna guess at wiring