Tailgate Dome Light Activation Switch

lrb6805

Die Living
Supporting Member
I have always felt the TJs/LJs have been lacking when it came to having a pin-switch for the tailgate that activated the overhead dome light especially for those who remove the rear seat and use the back for open storage. I have seen others look for the same thing, but I have been unable to find a definitive guide. So here is a simple How-To on how to install this feature with all the trial and error removed.

Install Time: 30-45 minutes when you have all materials and moderate electrical experience

**Don't forget to either disconnect the battery or remove the #4 Fuse for the Door Lights to protect system while installing**

Materials:
-(1) Glove Box Light Mod)
-(1) Roll of wire (16 Gauge, marine grade due to not using a top in the summer)
-(1) T-Tap with Connector (16 Gauge)
-(1) Slide Connect Female (16 gauge, I used heat shrinkable weatherproof type)
-(1) #8x1/2" self-tapping screw (or use a similar size bolt with matching size drill bit for the mounting hole on the pin switch)
-Mounting Pads (I suggest these because America)
-Zip Ties (see reason above)
-Shrink Tubing (Optional, but adds to longevity)
-1/4" braided wire sleeve (Optional, but adds to longevity)

Tools
-Power Drill
-3/8in Drill Bit (for metal unless you like messing up your wood bits)
-Heat Gun (for shrink tube)

** Note: You can buy all these products locally and are just suggestions. There are many ways to build the same system, you may have a better idea to connect components. The only part I bought online was the pin-switch**

Installation:
I first went to my tailgate and looked at mounting location possibilities. I was originally going to mount the pin switch within the hinge, but I plan on switching to other Heavy Duty hinges in the future. The next best place was on the hinge-side lip of the tailgate where the lip meets the weather stripping. I chose the hinge-side because you aren't slamming that side shut like you do on the handle-side (so the switch should last longer).

c412b82cd7ba920dee2ab92472f92de2.jpg

After finding my switch mounting point, I then went to the passenger side door pin-switch and popped it out to look at the wiring. You will see two wires. Mine had a Yellow/Green wire and a Purple/Yellow Wire. The Yellow/Green is a Universal Ground wire code, so I assumed the Purple/Yellow Wire was the positive supply (the wire where you will tap into).

6221f7b7ccfda7b6d71ad2b9b69615a6.jpg

I opened my roll of red 16 gauge wire and made an approximate cut that would allow me to remove excess length later after finalizing installation. I stripped one end and crimped the connector that attaches to the T-Tap (usually comes in sets with the T-Taps). I stripped the other end and crimped on the Slide Connect (female) that would attach to the Pin Switch tab. At this time I also slipped on the braided wire sleeve.
I opened and removed my glovebox while tugging on the door-switch until I saw the matching Green/Yellow and Purple/Yellow wires moving by the fuse panel. I then took the T-Tap and clamped it onto the Purple/Yellow Wire and plugged in the matching connector that was previously crimped above. Make sure you use pliers to securely attach the T-Tap; you will hear the enclosure snap and lock in place.
Connect the length of wire using male-side T-Tap connector and use zip ties to secure the wires and prevent future tugging.

8e5a2da48338cabc180ad02ac4e76efb.jpg

I ran the length of wire to the rear of the vehicle following the body tub-edge on the passenger side to where I would mount the Pin-Switch. I marked the exact spot for the pin-switch and drilled a 3/8" hole for the main body of the pin switch. I pushed the pin switch through the hole and then installed the mounting screw using a self-tapping screw (or drill a hole and use a small bolt).

0a259e499166cad370d9d3fb3ee5e7f3.jpg

You will see notches cut into the pin-switch plastic body, I cut it down to the lowest notch due to the small space in the area mounted. I made sure the rubber boot was installed correctly around the outside of the switch and that the tailgate closed correctly.

I then plugged in the Female Slide Connector to the pin-switch tab. I replaced the #4 Fuse and tested the system.

30037ddf9cc8cbacdb5297766596b91e.jpg

The pin switch worked perfect and each door activated/deactivated the Dome Light independent of each other.
At this time, I took the 1"x1" cable mounting squares and zip-ties and finalized my wire routing making sure it is unseen and out of the way. I also cut the wire to the prefect length and stripped/re-crimped the pin-switch side of the wire after routing it.

2786dc5f06cfbd910c2fd107e761d6ee.jpg

89d96d38bca3b958c5b76294e77621e1.jpg

Your tailgate will now turn on your courtesy dome lights.

Post any questions below or feel free to PM me and I will add/update the post if I am missing anything.

30001-32a6feb6ea1caaa3b36a2365de4c1cd1.jpg

29997-06d81cd95c54899bdc9efffe75b3e828.jpg

29998-5b1fa258d83408b23d584d515f687a3e.jpg

30002-ac49296abd42c9c843f514542bfefa08.jpg

30003-72201e81e4f3f70dfd4387be09736aff.jpg

29999-0018fecfe0cd22d5e24da3e5dd3bec57.jpg

30000-1fb99a4b0c676df48ffc4cab191e570e.jpg

Last edited:
Great write up. Well detailed, great pics and even all parts and tools are listed. Looking forward to doing this mod. Thanks Irb6805!

Just did this last week with switch linked. I didn't go all out with hiding the wire, just ran it under the carpet for now. Works great.

Added note, for those of you that go doorless in the summer. Pulling fuse 4 will NOT disable this switch (ie. it will still activate the dome light when the tailgate is open but the doors being off will not leave the dome light on 24/7). I think this is because in this method we are grounding to the tub instead of running through the fuse. Whatever the case, it is an added bonus, I was expecting to have to disconnect the door switches when I went doorless.

This is on my list of to-do’s also. I have the parts, just haven’t taken the time.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Reviving an old thread here, but could you use this same setup for a rear mounted rocker instead of pin switch? Looking to incorporate one into my setup along with some under tub rail LEDs.

Yes. You can tap into this circuit to add any sort of switch. I forget if the switch used for this post is normally open or normally closed but a rocker or toggle will work great.
Reviving an old thread here, but could you use this same setup for a rear mounted rocker instead of pin switch? Looking to incorporate one into my setup along with some under tub rail LEDs.
Into