Tailgate hinges: are stainless hinges a good idea?

Shropshirewrangler

TJ Enthusiast
My tailgate hinges are fucked allowing the tailgate to drop to the extent that it needs to be lifted over an inch to latch.
Here in the U.K. I can get these - https://jeeppartsuk.co.uk/shop/jeep/wranglers/wrangler-tj/tailgate-hinges-stainless-2/
I want to keep the Jeep as stock as possible and am prepared to pay for shipping from the U.S. but an internet search doesn't find me the genuine article.
Can any of you guys in the States point me towards a good supplier of OEM hinges who are able to ship overseas?
Thanks in advance for your help.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
If you live somewhere where the roads are heavily salted (or an otherwise corrosive environment), I recommend against the stainless hinges. The stainless metal itself is very corrosion resistant, but it acts as a cathode to the surrounding carbon steel, resulting in accelerated corrosion of the base metal.

Otherwise they are a great aesthetic item and will likely last a long time. Just make sure any paint chips or scratches in adjacent metal or under the hinge are repaired.

If you live somewhere where the roads are heavily salted (or an otherwise corrosive environment), I recommend against the stainless hinges. The stainless metal itself is very corrosion resistant, but it acts as a cathode to the surrounding carbon steel, resulting in accelerated corrosion of the base metal.

Otherwise they are a great aesthetic item and will likely last a long time. Just make sure any paint chips or scratches in adjacent metal or under the hinge are repaired.

That condition is not so much due to SS but rather any material if the hinge is not sealed to the body surface like the OEM hinges that have a paint seal preventing any moisture from being trapped behind the hinge. Very simple to bed the hinge in RTV or something similar. I have a roll of self adhesive roof flashing material that can be cut to shape and applied to the surface to seal out any moisture.

For the price of the above hinges, I'd get the Mor ryde tailgate reinforcement. They aren't stainless, but I got some for about $280 and I think you can get just the hinges for cheaper. I love that setup. You can grease it, it just feels so much better than OEM, but if you want to stay OEM then look for hinges that are possibly powder coated or something.

I don't think my OEM hinges had much corrosion, but they made so much noise and were sagging. I wanted to replace them before my spare fell off. I sometimes mount my road bike back there too so I was adding a bit of extra weight to the tailgate and I wanted to add a tailgate table.

Thanks Chris I've contacted Moryde for part number for TJ hinges as all I can find are JK hinges.

Maybe JK hinges fit a 2002 TJ?
If it helps, I bought Moryde tailgate hinges for my LJ in February 2017 and the part number was JP54-025. I'm not that familiar with JK's but I'm pretty sure the hinges are different.

I got the full kit for $301 shipped to my door from an RV parts place, but I can't find the website nor the same listing.

This is the OEM hinge mount area
20191204_140337_HDR.jpg
on the tub, don't think SS could do much worse.

We have Kentrol 50496 SS hinges, they are powdercoated black. very nice, we got them for $130. I believe the powder coating would insulate them against any kind of galvanic corrosion

1575550584109.png

Reactions: Steel City 06