Tailgate - Rear Body Mods

On a different forum a guy,,, Don? recessed the stock tail lights. It turned out real slick and virtually free. He cut a cardboard template and then cut the fender so the light dropped in.

Wish I had saved a photo.

found some pictures...

1466971127.38526900.jpg

1312852773.jpg

I do miss my YJ.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and StG58
On a different forum a guy,,, Don? recessed the stock tail lights. It turned out real slick and virtually free. He cut a cardboard template and then cut the fender so the light dropped in.

Wish I had saved a photo.
Either those or some round ones, if you like that style. I have some surface mount led's on the way to replace the stock boxes. Flush mounting stock lights for mine requires moving the evap canister, which is in the passenger side wheel well right behind the light. The surface mounted lights avoid that issue.

Reactions: StG58
Have to check my '05. ^^^^ This is one of those mods on my TODO list but I have never looked into the right side wheel well. That said Don had to cut into the top of the inner fender, into the passenger space. I think I'd drop the light to fit it into the wheel well space. And wrap the license around the body without the plastic holder. Must admit I likethe clean "Jeep" tailgate without a spare tire. I've considered mounting my spare inside the tailgate. I never "need" and rarely use that back 12".

Have to check my '05. ^^^^ This is one of those mods on my TODO list but I have never looked into the right side wheel well. That said Don had to cut into the top of the inner fender, into the passenger space. I think I'd drop the light to fit it into the wheel well space. And wrap the license around the body without the plastic holder. Must admit I likethe clean "Jeep" tailgate without a spare tire. I've considered mounting my spare inside the tailgate. I never "need" and rarely use that back 12".
05's have the evap system in that corner but may be different on Can vehicles. You can see/feel it if you pull down the splash guard underneath that corner.

If you have an older TJ you'll have cast aluminium hinges. The newer TJ got stamped steel hinges with cheap plastic cover. I throw out all the cheap plastic on all my cars.

For your use, the steel ones might be better since you could weld to them.

Last edited:
Just to clarify you do not have to move evap to install flush mount tails!! Just cut some of the metal frame off around the canister. Removal cutting paint and reinstall takes a couple hours time nothing crazy

Reactions: Rob5589
Is this the look your going for ? @StG58 (with the gas can sitting left of the spare wheel) I like the new school twist on the old willys. :thumbsup:
willys rear war.jpg
willys rear.jpg

That's where I got the idea. Saw an old MB running a trail and thought I might be able to pull it off. There's just enough room with 31's.
It will definitely look the part..I'm keen to see what the finished product looks like..(I sure you are too haha)

It will definitely look the part..I'm keen to see what the finished product looks like..(I sure you are too haha)
Ya, Can't wait to get it finished. It's actually a pretty simple mod, not a lot of materials and tweaking to it. Two pieces of 1x2x16" long aluminum flat bar, a few bolts and washers, new tail lights and a gas can mount. I decided to move the hole in the stock tire carrier instead of remaking the tailgate bars and hinges for now. There's only one hole on the top that is going to be an issue, and a small piece of steel flat bar welded to the edge will fix that. Found some LED trailer lights that look just like the stock TJ tail lights, but are only an inch and a half thick. No flange sticking out around the edge too, which gives me another inch to play with. Also found some flush mount LED flood lights, to put into the bumper for actual, useful, back up lights. (Tractor supply houses are such wonderful places!) I'll have to put some sort of sheet metal guard behind them to keep the back sides from getting beat all to snot. The gas can mount is going to be an old school "bucket" mount, like in the picture with the strap that goes from front to back over the can? I'll trim the sheet metal in the back to clear the tailgate. It's about an inch too tall. Probably paint it black to match the bumper. It's a fun project that recalls Jeep heritage. (and gives me 20 liters of additional gas for when I need it.)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Redoing the back end of the body / tailgate and would like some input.

I'm moving the spare tire mount to the right 4-1/2" (towards the hinges), out away from the tailgate 1" and adding a NATO gas can mount to the rear bumper on the left. (oh, and the body up 1") I need some input on a couple of parts.

1) Taillights - I'd like to go with a flatter taillight that doesn't stick out as far from the body. Something without the flanges turned out would be nice. What would you all recommend? Square, round, pretty flower shaped...whatever. As always performance over price, but my money tree is a little wilted. I do kind of like the square one's a little better.

2) License plate relocation bracket - Something that goes in the wheel and isn't a pain in the backsides to remove if you need to use the spare. Third brake light, license plate light and a decent license plate mount. What'cha got and how's it working out for you?

You are welcome to give me crap about putting a gas can on the outside of my rig, but I have my reasons. I'll have pictures of the prototype when the 1x2x16" aluminum flat bars comes back from the machine shop. If it works out reasonably well, I'll be doing beefed up hinges and flat bar to beef up the whole tailgate assembly up. Max design tire size is 32x11.50's. My 31x10.50's fit comfortably back there now.

I just found this write up today and thought about this thread. Obviously, it's a bit different from what you are doing but I thought that it may provide some kind of inspiration since it's so similar.

http://*****************/forum/f9/new-dirtworx-rear-bumper-4168282/

*Edit - Ugh...replace the stars with jeepforum.com*
*Edit 2 - jeez...can't even type the name of the site. Jeep Forum dot com

I just found this write up today and thought about this thread. Obviously, it's a bit different from what you are doing but I thought that it may provide some kind of inspiration since it's so similar.

http://*****************/forum/f9/new-dirtworx-rear-bumper-4168282/

*Edit - Ugh...replace the stars with **************
*Edit 2 - jeez...can't even type the name of the site. Jeep Forum dot com
lol, ya...we can't link to some sites...

That was one of the options that I explored early on in the project. The can really doesn't stick out all that far beyond the tire, but it does stick out some. It works with much less fiddling around (and bigger tires) than what I have going on. The biggest tire that will almost fit the gas can flat against the back is a 32". I run 31's and the only way that I'll go to a 32' is for tuning purposes after the 5.13 gear install.

I did think about giving Robert a call at Dirtworx. He's happy to modify his bumpers to meet your needs. That would have been the simple solution. I really wanted to tuck the can and tire up as close to the back of the TJ s possible.

Thanks for sharing that @Serbonze, at least now I know that I am not the only idiot out there!

Reactions: Serbonze