tailgate retainers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Lxxtsy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
if anyone has a extra set laying around please let me know. I'm assuming I need these so the tail gate bar can attach to? I don't have a soft top currently nor hardware but I do have the half top setup with the tailgate bar, puzzling things together. Thanks

tailgate bar.jpg

Bikini top,duster and tonneau. Currently have hard top only. Picking up doors surrounds on friday. Found an aluminum Z channel at home depot for the bottom flaps for the duster.

Last edited:
There are two styles of retainers, factory hard top ones have a wider channel for the glass back window. Bestop retainers are narrower for the duster, just FYI.

@bobthetj03 and everyone else, you guys don't leave the retainers on when putting your hard top back on do you, Bestop said you have to remove them before putting the hard top back on and there's only one size.

@bobthetj03 and everyone else, you guys don't leave the retainers on when putting your hard top back on do you, Bestop said you have to remove them before putting the hard top back on and there's only one size.

If you have a hard top you should already have the retainers on your jeep. They need to be on there to retain the back glass window when you close it. I can't vouch for other brands, but if you bought a Bestop Duster, the Duster comes with the retainers, the tailgate bar, and the tonneau cover. The retainers and the tail gate bar are narrower than the factory hard top retainers, so when you remove the hard top to put the Duster on, you also have to change the retainers to the narrower ones that Bestop provides so it will fit Bestop's tailgate bar. Clear is mud, right?

Not necessarily. When I bought one of my LJs it came with a hard top but not a soft top. It did not have the retainers nor were the dimples even drilled out for the mounting screws.

Hmmm? Well, I stand corrected. Thought all TJ's had those retainers. I know you definitely have to have them with a soft top to hold the tailgate bar in.

I don't have them either with my hard top. Looks like at some point the original owner might of had a set since the holes are drilled out.

20170321_170809.jpg
20170321_170835.jpg

I don't have them either! Don't need them though, I only run a hard top.

No holes drilled either! Looks like there was never a soft top on this thing I guess?

If your TJ came with the dual top option, you would have the tailgate bar retainers, which can be left on with the hard top on. Some leave 'em on, some don't. Mine stay on all the time.

I did find a set I am not using from a previous TJ.

2nd if the OP doesn't want them or anyone else had a set. I bought my TJ with OEM hardtop that wasn't original to the Jeep and a Bestop NX soft top. The only set I have is the smaller bestop style. I'd like a set of original OEM soft top retainers just to have something to fill the drilled holes in the off-season.... or should I say ON-season [emoji23]

Status
Not open for further replies.