Tailgate side hinge nuts

Boinked

TJ Expert
I went to install exogate hinges. One on the top bolts on the tailgate will not snug down. Im thinking it is spinning. Is there a good way to get access to it. I would rather not have to cut an access hole if i didn't need to.

20190115_115155.jpg

I can't help with the answer but I had mine apart the other day. This is what is on the inside. It isn't a nut welded to the sheet metal. If it is stripped, maybe you can remove the left nut and then try the right side while also pulling back on the hinge.

RUI7Ch.jpg

@Boinked, sorry for your bolt issue, hope you get that resolved. I would be very interested in why you chose just the hinges, and not the whole enchilada, shall we say, and what your impressions are on the hinges compared to stock. Thanks!

@Boinked, sorry for your bolt issue, hope you get that resolved. I would be very interested in why you chose just the hinges, and not the whole enchilada, shall we say, and what your impressions are on the hinges compared to stock. Thanks!
Because the hinges were a gift from a friend. He put on a ORfab carrier and the hinges wouldn't work with the carrier.

I love free parts and i hope to be able to give you an update. Currently with my stock hinges and a 33×12.5 15" steel wheel. The gate flexes and rattles bad.

@glwood , my hinges alone are holding up perfect still. Here’s the things you need to adjust correctly from day 1:

1) make sure the third brake light connectors clear the tub sheet metal and touch inside so the third brake light works. This is a balancing act
2) make sure the bottom snubber is not too extended. If it is the door will be stubborn closing and it will gradually bend the bottom of the door outward. It has to be pretty much flush with the tire.
3) lift door slightly above level and then tighten down the four tailgate bolts, otherwise it will sag below level.

Everything is A+ here

Reactions: matkal
Because the hinges were a gift from a friend. He put on a ORfab carrier and the hinges wouldn't work with the carrier.

I love free parts and i hope to be able to give you an update. Currently with my stock hinges and a 33×12.5 15" steel wheel. The gate flexes and rattles bad.
Free is a great reason! I look forward to your impressions once you've solved the bolt issue.

I was not aware that the unpainted portion of the body might show when replacing the stock hinges...interesting...@JMT, was that your experience also?

Free is a great reason! I look forward to your impressions once you've solved the bolt issue.

I was not aware that the unpainted portion of the body might show when replacing the stock hinges...interesting...@JMT, was that your experience also?
No unpainted portion of my tailgate or tub shows.

Yeah im not really happy about that. But it is a small amount and i can live with it.

@glwood , my hinges alone are holding up perfect still. Here’s the things you need to adjust correctly from day 1:

1) make sure the third brake light connectors clear the tub sheet metal and touch inside so the third brake light works. This is a balancing act
2) make sure the bottom snubber is not too extended. If it is the door will be stubborn closing and it will gradually bend the bottom of the door outward. It has to be pretty much flush with the tire.
3) lift door slightly above level and then tighten down the four tailgate bolts, otherwise it will sag below level.

Everything is A+ here
I get all of your tips, with this exception: make sure the third brake light connectors clear the tub sheet metal...what exactly do you mean by that?

I get all of your tips, with this exception: make sure the third brake light connectors clear the tub sheet metal...what exactly do you mean by that?
They will catch on the tub and pop out and fly around and you will spend 30 minutes trying to find one. that happened to me....... i wish I read his post before the installation.

Reactions: JMT
They will catch on the tub and pop out and fly around and you will spend 30 minutes trying to find one. that happened to me....... i wish I read his post before the installation.
As in when you are closing the tailgate after installing the new hinges?

As in when you are closing the tailgate after installing the new hinges?
I left my gate in place and swaped hinges one at a time. When i opened it the light buttons on the gate caught on the tub and pulled them out and sent them flying.

I left my gate in place and swaped hinges one at a time. When i opened it the light buttons on the gate caught on the tub and pulled them out and sent them flying.
Gotcha. So make sure the tailgate has enough adjustment toward the latch side so the buttons will clear, yet not too much so they still make contact when the tailgate is closed...now I understand the 'balancing act'.

Reactions: JMT

Everything is A+ here

On #2 - Has anyone confirmed that the bottom snubber is supposed to remain with the Exogate install? I went back to the instructions and it just says “Unscrew the rubber tire bumpers using a T-27 Torx bit/screwdriver”. It doesn’t specify just the 4 on the tailgate or all 5 including the one on the tub.

Later in the process it says to reinstall the snubbers, but the picture only points to the 4 on the tailgate and it doesn’t look like the 5th one is installed.

73d9ab1b8ee703e48781f28337655d7e.jpg

On #2 - Has anyone confirmed that the bottom snubber is supposed to remain with the Exogate install? I went back to the instructions and it just says “Unscrew the rubber tire bumpers using a T-27 Torx bit/screwdriver”. It doesn’t specify just the 4 on the tailgate or all 5 including the one on the tub.

Later in the process it says to reinstall the snubbers, but the picture only points to the 4 on the tailgate and it doesn’t look like the 5th one is installed.

View attachment 72487
You’re right for the full install. The #2 above is meant for a Hinges Only install, not the full kit

Reactions: jchadscud
You’re right for the full install. The #2 above is meant for a Hinges Only install, not the full kit
Wouldn't you still want that bottom snubber on, even with the full kit, to help keep the tailgate from rattling on the latch?

Ok so from what I see there is no way to access the nut plate on the door itself. Is my only option here to cut a hole? Anyone have a better idea?

1547599223049823047128158110864.jpg