Take apart vehicle, can’t find culprit, fixed when reassembled?

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Dave and I tore apart my front cv axle on my car when told the sound I was getting was from a bad cv axle. We couldn’t find much wrong with it. I decided to put it back in and check the other side but decided to take it for a ride first to check something else, and it’s better? No more grinding and clicking when turning . We didn’t change anything, just took the front left cv axle out and back in.
Does this happen a lot in mechanics? If so, it sure will save me a lot of money :). But I’m guessing it’s either short lived or I got lucky and a Rock or something was stuck up in there . By the way, i was the first to use the new lift. It was nice !
CCBB3071-6781-4857-A0CA-81C93219F962.jpeg
7EEADFEB-795A-4D9E-870B-E5FD18ADF093.jpeg

Kathy,

Did you notice a tear in either of the boots or grease flung around underneath the car near where that axle lives? Typically, a CV axle will go out when the boot tears. It allow dirt in and wears out the bearings. If you did not notice any tears, your CV is probably ok...

I had a Galant very similar to yours that had the same problem. I took it to a shop and paid 300 bucks for the job so hopefully you saved some money there. That's a nifty lookin' Galant, mine was silver, nice cars for a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Who knows why that happens...I'd drive it 'til the noise returns. You now know exactly how to change it. Nice lift.

Reactions: Kathy
Kathy,

Did you notice a tear in either of the boots or grease flung around underneath the car near where that axle lives? Typically, a CV axle will go out when the boot tears. It allow dirt in and wears out the bearings. If you did not notice any tears, your CV is probably ok...
No tears . All was clean

I had a Galant very similar to yours that had the same problem. I took it to a shop and paid 300 bucks for the job so hopefully you saved some money there. That's a nifty lookin' Galant, mine was silver, nice cars for a time.
Thanks! I’m hoping it doesn’t come back! This car has served me well but because it’s the ralliart model it has 18 inch wheels which in this car equates to zero turn radius. That’s my biggest complaint . I’m on the cusp of deciding do I drive it in the ground or get rid of it . She’s a keeper for now :).

Thank you all on the lift compliments. I’ll share with Dave. Funny thing is he paid extra big bucks for the extra tall model and just realized a couple days ago he forgot to put on the extensions that make it extra tall. Now to take apart to add them in .

Thank you all on the lift compliments. I’ll share with Dave. Funny thing is he paid extra big bucks for the extra tall model and just realized a couple days ago he forgot to put on the extensions that make it extra tall. Now to take apart to add them in .
Oops!

I didn't get the extra tall extensions when I was born. I wonder if they have a set I can get now.