Texas Talk me in to moving to TX

06lj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So I have a great, but time sensitive job opportunity in the Plano, Texas area. My wife has family that lives there but I have never had the opportunity to visit. I have been researching what I can online but would love to hear some pros and cons from people who live in the area. My decision pretty much has to be made in the next 48 hours so I have been sitting up at night watching YouTube and looking at housing ads. If we do move we plan to just toss everything in storage and rent a furnished apartment until we figure out what area would be best for us. I would appreciate if anybody has some insights that might help me make a decision.
Thanks!

I've lived in NorCal a couple times, Emerald Triangle, legitimately.
I love PNW, my wife & I met in Austin and are still in the area but I beg her all the time to move West.
It'll probably be a culture shock. Priorities are shifted towards money and big things whereas my experience with the PNW prioritizes healthy living as a whole more. You're not going to be able to beat the clean air, food & water you get in Oregon. You're also headed to a relatively flat, windy area, get ready for that. On the flip, the economy is strong and you'll be well protected if militia services are ever needed. You can't beat the BBQ nor the music seen down here in Austin.
If you own a home in OR, I'd keep it & rent it & wait to see if you really like it here.

Tacos and brisket.
They also put queso on burgers

B02C8E1D-4C2A-4837-8D40-B6F29AC40D31.jpeg

63393453-93AF-44B5-817C-97AF8FBC0AA3.jpeg

I appreciate the opinions. After a lot of deliberations it looks like we will be heading to Texas. The pro's outweighed the con's. I am really, really going to miss the mountains and forests here. On the plus side I won't have to inhale months of smoke when fire season starts.

I guess that's the good way to look at it. For what it's worth, I know 2 people from Oregon who moved here, one couple is moving back in a couple of weeks, I saw the other couple a few weekends ago and the husband said he's never going back. I was like, you're a Dr, you could be anywhere, he eluded to liking the politics and gun laws here more. So it could go either way! Hope you get to cruise down to Hidden Falls and wheel with us sometime!

Reactions: 06lj and JMT
I’m right near Plano. We could meet up and go Jeep in sometime. There is tons of car shows down here if your into that think, alot of them welcome jeeps even stock ones. Jeep community is strong down here, NTJC is a big thing. Barbecue is the best you will ever have. Plus there is something to be said for the cornflower blue sky, lots of the time there isint a cloud for miles, that’s something I can’t find anywhere else. The cost of living is really low and we have a 4 wheel parts in Plano. The downsides are it’s a lot of driving to get everywhere, and our 4 seasons are summer,hell,almost summer, & maybe not summer. But you don’t have to worry about anything freezing for very long.

Reactions: FJQue
Oh and whataburgers are awesome, though some people don’t like them. Traffic isint that bad, especially if you can do the “Texas exit” and just drive off the side of the hwy. yes, we do that. Oh and the cops don’t care as much about the letter of the law, just that you don’t make an ass if yourself. That can work both in and out of your favor.

Reactions: matkal