TAN—Thread About Nothing

Yeah that's the route I took. Today he woke up & without any prompting he grabbed a bottle of windex & started wiping windows lol. I think he got the message.

After one day of no iPads, video games, or TV he said last night "this couldn't get any worse!". I told him before bed that I will take away his mattress & make him sleep on the floor, lock the basement door so he can't get to any of his toys, & make him ask permission to sit on a piece of furniture if he doesn't get his act together.

Haha, amazing how obsessed they are with their damn iPads. We force our kids to go on mile long walks with us daily. They complain and complain, but I told them that one day they'll thank us that we didn't just let them sit around being lazy ass kids like most kids these days.

Shit, went we took a trip to Seattle this last winter, we made them walk a total of 30 miles over 3-days!

I kind of feel like I am on vacation today. Its super noisy on my roof, there is Mexican Banda music blaring from a job-site radio. 5 Latino men are eating tacos in the shade in my front yard. Its almost like I am in Puerto Vallarta. These gents are doing a fine job roofing my house. I appreciate their work ethic.

I kind of feel like I am on vacation today. Its super noisy on my roof, there is Mexican Banda music blaring from a job-site radio. 5 Latino men are eating tacos in the shade in my front yard. Its almost like I am in Puerto Vallarta. These gents are doing a fine job roofing my house. I appreciate their work ethic.

I worked as a coordinator or sales or whatever you call it for a roofing company one summer in college. That's where I discovered my paralyzing fear of heights taking measurements for estimates :D . Come job day I was floored by the work these dudes would put in. I'd see 'em take a 3 section extension ladder, put it on the roof at nearly a 45 degree angle, and walk up with a bag of shingles on each shoulder while timing their steps to match the deflection in the ladder as they walked. Hell of a way to earn a living.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Haha, amazing how obsessed they are with their damn iPads. We force our kids to go on mile long walks with us daily. They complain and complain, but I told them that one day they'll thank us that we didn't just let them sit around being lazy ass kids like most kids these days.

Shit, went we took a trip to Seattle this last winter, we made them walk a total of 30 miles over 3-days!

That's awesome. I'm usually the one to get the kids out of the house for that kind of stuff because of my wife's health issues, but now with my knee surgery I'm laid up for a bit and can't really get out there much with them. I've noticed the difference in behavior just over a week since I got cut, and it's really dramatic what happens when you don't give the prisoners their yard time.

Reactions: Chris
I worked as a coordinator or sales or whatever you call it for a roofing company one summer in college. That's where I discovered my paralyzing fear of heights taking measurements for estimates :D . Come job day I was floored by the work these dudes would put in. I'd see 'em take a 3 section extension ladder, put it on the roof at nearly a 45 degree angle, and walk up with a bag of shingles on each shoulder while timing their steps to match the deflection in the ladder as they walked. Hell of a way to earn a living.

Yeah they bust ass, because pay is productivity based. More squares down, more money. I use these guys a lot for roofing. They all do awesome work at a competitive rates with a real 10 year labor warranty. This is the second roof they have completed for me in 2 months. Hoping this is last one for a while. Hail has been brutal this year.

If you're driving down the road and there's a pigeon in the middle of the street, do you slow down? I don't, I think our social contract with street birds places the onus upon them to fly away before my car gets there.

Right now, nuthin’ but sitting on my butt. That’s because I spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday helping Mrs. Cheesy set up HER new house. Man, once the closing was official on the old place, it was like a switch was flipped on her. Once she is satisfied (hahahahaha, almost believed that), I get to set up MY garage; the one not attached to HER house, and MY wood shop in MY basement.
I was so glad to do an overnighter for work yesterday.

If you're driving down the road and there's a pigeon in the middle of the street, do you slow down? I don't, I think our social contract with street birds places the onus upon them to fly away before my car gets there.
100%

Reactions: Rick Flair
I hate to admit it, but Mrs. Cheesy done good with the three season room on the back of the house. I get up with the damn robins and cardinal, so I opt to sit here in the a of m with my morning coffee and my iPad before the company phone starts ringing.

Right now, listening to the thunder of a morning storm and just enjoying the solitude.

Why do people poke and dig through their noses in public like its no big deal?
I've had to clown on a few of my friends for doing that sick shit in front of me.

I've been thinking about how much I can accomplish on my truck this weekend. I think I'm going to drop it off tomorrow to get the tires rotated and balanced so I don't have to work on it on jackstands all day Sat. Also been toying with the idea of polishing the wheels. They haven't been done in forever and need it badly. My dad has a dewalt buffer I could use and I'm sure he has wool pads. All I'd need is to pick up some polish. I'd probably have to borrow it and polish the heep wheels too so it didn't feel left out.

I've been eyeing these guys stuff but I don't think it's a necessity at this point.
Super Shine Polishing Kit | Zephyr

Reactions: TJ Starting
Ya know what really grinds my gears? People who don't read emails in their entirety. I just sent an email to an architect regarding info for a project their working on for our facility. I told him about a fence alarm project that's going to impact the work he's doing and included the drawings and specifications in that email. He responds back asking if I can send him the drawings and specifications for that project.

FFS, did you even read my email?

• Sad
Reactions: Hog and TJ Starting
Ya know what really grinds my gears? People who don't read emails in their entirety. I just sent an email to an architect regarding info for a project their working on for our facility. I told him about a fence alarm project that's going to impact the work he's doing and included the drawings and specifications in that email. He responds back asking if I can send him the drawings and specifications for that project.

FFS, did you even read my email?
For a moment there, I thought you were talking about my boss. It’s a running joke with us underlings.

• Sad
Reactions: xxdabroxx
Decided to clean up a bit around the Squatch's lair. Disassembled the salmon ladder that I built for my son, so that he could reinstall it where he now lives. Removed blackberry bushes and vines from about a 30' stretch (6' wide by almost 8' high) alongside the garage, too. Also gathered up all the scrap metal. 970 lbs. of iron and steel, and 395 lbs. of "dirty" aluminum. For the basic metal, I received a whopping $11.50, which hardly was worth the effort. For the aluminum, I got $30 in cash. Would've been $31.60 if I was willing to wait for a check to be mailed, but I wasn't. Cash won out. The aluminum was in the form of two very large die-sets that were used on our 150-ton punch press, which has been gone for about a year.

Life is good.

Last edited:
That can be a tough one. I usually try and leave as much tip as I normally would based on the cost of my food or 50% of the check. There are people that don't tip though and then that makes it look like you're the asshole if they get a small tip on a big bill if the other party doesn't pay to play.
The subject of tipping always reminds me of this scene from "Reservoir Dogs". Great movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sbYy0WdGQ