TAN—Thread About Nothing

There is one in town just like that turning into a grocery store parking lot. You can never guess if you will be better off going straight though the intersection and turning into the parking lot in the later turn lane or if you should stick in the left turn lane at the light. Frustrates me to no end. I'm one of those people who is looking at the cross traffic light to turn yellow so I know when to be ready to go.

Reactions: Tomcat
There is one in town just like that turning into a grocery store parking lot. You can never guess if you will be better off going straight though the intersection and turning into the parking lot in the later turn lane or if you should stick in the left turn lane at the light. Frustrates me to no end. I'm one of those people who is looking at the cross traffic light to turn yellow so I know when to be ready to go.
If nobody's around, sometimes I just turn on the red. So sue me.😜

We bought a supernintendo retro last week. Basically a newer version of the classic super nintendo. It has like 600 games. Mario, super mario, etc...Everything is pixelated and analog sounds. It brought back a ton of memories of nostalgia :D It was funny how quick my wife picked it back up. Within 10 seconds of playing it for the first time she remembered a big stomping tree thing and ducked

20200610_153456[1].jpg

We bought a supernintendo retro last week. Basically a newer version of the classic super nintendo. It has like 600 games. Mario, super mario, etc...Everything is pixelated and analog sounds. It brought back a ton of memories of nostalgia :D It was funny how quick my wife picked it back up. Within 10 seconds of playing it for the first time she remembered a big stomping tree thing and ducked

View attachment 168904
That's badass!

Old video games are good times. I think that stuff is hardwired in my brain. When I get old an senile I'm just going to start humming the theme from levels on Super Mario Brothers, people are going to be asking Siri what I'm talking about. Her reply, "Crazy old man is humming underground theme from super mario brothers, suggest increase medication levels."

View attachment 168904

Is that the one with Mario Kart?

Is that the one with Mario Kart?

I believe its on there, yes. I have a feeling wont play all of them :LOL:

My commute is about 40 minutes each way. While I bought my Jeep back in Feb, today is the first day driving it to work.

I started a new job in March right when all this hit. Worked from home for about two months and then started coming into the office. 35 miles and takes 45 min.Thats still with traffic being lower than usual:(

I don’t think 35s, even with the regear, likes interstate driving. But today’s ride home will be 55 mph, 80*, and low humidity.

I've been picking away at the tune on my truck, it's nothing special just a cold air intake and cat back exhaust. I'm mostly messing with shift points, I've got the daily driving stuff down pretty good but want to hold first a little longer for left turns.

I've been toying with the idea of turning the tow haul button into stupid mode, IE: truck wont shift until or near wide open throttle. So if I want to pass someone it should downshift to second right away and rip. That and when cruising forest service roads etc, it wont shift and should stay in the power better. It drives me nuts when auto's shift before I want them to. If I'm ripping around a dirt road I don't want it to upshift to second if I'm planning on punching it again after a corner or water bar.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I've been picking away at the tune on my truck, it's nothing special just a cold air intake and cat back exhaust. I'm mostly messing with shift points, I've got the daily driving stuff down pretty good but want to hold first a little longer for left turns.

I've been toying with the idea of turning the tow haul button into stupid mode, IE: truck wont shift until or near wide open throttle. So if I want to pass someone it should downshift to second right away and rip. That and when cruising forest service roads etc, it wont shift and should stay in the power better. It drives me nuts when auto's shift before I want them to. If I'm ripping around a dirt road I don't want it to upshift to second if I'm planning on punching it again after a corner or water bar.
That's something I wish I knew how to do.

That's something I wish I knew how to do.
It just takes HP Tuners and watching a bunch of youtube to feel your way around the software. Some basic engine knowledge is good to have too, what sensors do what, etc. I'm learning as I go, I don't think I'm ready to tune a cam swap yet but with a wideband I wouldn't be afraid to try on my own junk. I wouldn't do it for someone else though.

That's why I don't like automatic transmissions - but downshift it with the lever! What am I missing?
Definitely can, but its nice if it upshifts on its own. You can also change shift pressures and times along with the shift points. So my stupid mode could shift harder and faster than my daily driver mode which is firm but not harsh.

Reactions: Zorba
It just takes HP Tuners and watching a bunch of youtube to feel your way around the software. Some basic engine knowledge is good to have too, what sensors do what, etc. I'm learning as I go, I don't think I'm ready to tune a cam swap yet but with a wideband I wouldn't be afraid to try on my own junk. I wouldn't do it for someone else though.
Well maybe I'll have to look into it sometime. My truck is E85 compatible and wow, talk about a power gain! I'd like to crisp it up a bit with a tune but nothin to serious since it is my daily.

Reactions: xxdabroxx
If you are going to tune fueling I'd suggest getting the tuner that is compatible with a wideband O2 sensor. I wish I would have ponied up the extra money when I got mine. There are ways to tune without it that I'll probably play with yet but it would be really nice to know what AFR I'm actually running at WOT. Narrow band O2 sensors don't work well away from stoich.

Reactions: TJ Starting
So my stupid mode tune isn't working out right, its free wheeling in first when coasting. But if I turn tow haul off and put the shifter in first it engine brakes. So I'm going to put the old shift tables back in.

In other news I'm 99% sure the first vehicle I've broken an axle in isn't the Jeep or my Olds, it's my truck. I've got a lot of play in and out on the passenger side rear axle and was getting a bad shake at highway speeds. It's like it knows that I just gave another part of it attention.

Changed a girls tire on the side of the road, she had someone else "help her" get the blown tire off... leading to the jack slipping and dropping the car on the front rotor leaving not much to jack from (low profile car). Was nearby a college campus and assumed the dummy bailed on her... he told her he was going to get a better jack. and that had been a while before i showed up.

slipped the scissor jack under the floorboard on a structurally sound area intended for jacking and a 1/8 turn at a time managed to get the car up and put on the doughnut tire.

the guy that had helped managed to totally crush and fold over the pinch weld of the rocker and floor pan dropping it on the rotor.

a few years prior my dad was in the same area and helped some college kids change a spare after observing them watching a youtube video on what way to turn the lugnut to get the tire off.

wish drivers education would teach kids how to change a tire rather than basically tell you that you can if you need to.

Changed a girls tire on the side of the road, she had someone else "help her" get the blown tire off... leading to the jack slipping and dropping the car on the front rotor leaving not much to jack from (low profile car). Was nearby a college campus and assumed the dummy bailed on her... he told her he was going to get a better jack. and that had been a while before i showed up.

slipped the scissor jack under the floorboard on a structurally sound area intended for jacking and a 1/8 turn at a time managed to get the car up and put on the doughnut tire.

the guy that had helped managed to totally crush and fold over the pinch weld of the rocker and floor pan dropping it on the rotor.

a few years prior my dad was in the same area and helped some college kids change a spare after observing them watching a youtube video on what way to turn the lugnut to get the tire off.

wish drivers education would teach kids how to change a tire rather than basically tell you that you can if you need to.

My retired Sergeant Major co-worker showed me a video of his soon-to-be driving teenage daughter learning how to do it. He gave her something like 45 minutes to swap the fronts with the rears with only the tools in the trunk, & every time she backed too far away from the car he yelled something like "you just got hit by a fucking car driving by, pay attention!".

So my stupid mode tune isn't working out right, its free wheeling in first when coasting. But if I turn tow haul off and put the shifter in first it engine brakes. So I'm going to put the old shift tables back in.

In other news I'm 99% sure the first vehicle I've broken an axle in isn't the Jeep or my Olds, it's my truck. I've got a lot of play in and out on the passenger side rear axle and was getting a bad shake at highway speeds. It's like it knows that I just gave another part of it attention.

So it seems the play in the axle was just C clip axle end play. I might've had a slightly loose axle bearing. Tires were out of balance by 1-2 oz each in the rear. My shocks are pretty old so that could have a little to do with the feel. All in all I replaced axle bearings and seals, resealed the diff cover and put in new gear oil. Should get me a few more years of service. Hopefully the diff cover stays sealed up tight this time, it was leaking around the bottom likely from jacking up the diff and warping the cover a bit.

In other news we took the jeep up to the mountains for a cruise yesterday and I got some footage of a Giant Sequoia with my drone. Once I get it edited I'll post it up, absolutely mind boggling how tall those trees are. the top was well over 200' above ground level at the road I was parked on.