TAN—Thread About Nothing

Reactions: cliffish
will have to give this a try. Do you cook them hot/fast on the grill or smoke them?

I like to smoke them for a hour or so, then sear them off like you are doing. That way they get some smoke flavor.

I’ve done them hot and fast like a steak, didn’t return as good result.

edit, I pull at 120 and they usually end up 127-130. I find that a perfect medium-rare.

I like to smoke them for a hour or so, then sear them off like you are doing. That way they get some smoke flavor.

I’ve done them hot and fast like a steak, didn’t return as good result.

When I get a bunch, I usually smoke them to 110 deg then vac pack and freeze. When I want to cook, I will break out the sous vide (water cooker) cook to 132 deg (all day) and reverse sear for a quick mid week dinner.

Reactions: Tomcat
When I get a bunch, I usually smoke them to 110 deg then vac pack and freeze. When I want to cook, I will break out the sous vide (water cooker) cook to 132 deg (all day) and reverse sear for a quick mid week dinner.

I like your style!! I need to grab one of those sous vide cooker to do more of this. My neighbor got one and it’s amazing how perfect the meat gets.

I like your style!! I need to grab one of those sous vide cooker to do more of this. My neighbor got one and it’s amazing how perfect the meat gets.
They are unbelievable to use, can't over cook anything. Especially fish. People use them to do chicken at 145 deg but do it long enough to "pasteurize it" so instead of going to 165 deg you do 6 hours at 145 and it is really juicy. I will take $1.99/lb bottom round and put it in for 21 hours and it is fork tender like a filet, cooked edge to edge in perfect, uniform color.

They are unbelievable to use, can't over cook anything. Especially fish. People use them to do chicken at 145 deg but do it long enough to "pasteurize it" so instead of going to 165 deg you do 6 hours at 145 and it is really juicy. I will take $1.99/lb bottom round and put it in for 21 hours and it is fork tender like a filet, cooked edge to edge in perfect, uniform color.

I’m going to order one!!! Any advice on which one to get? That sounds amazing!!!

Wanna hear something funny? I got home the other day and was pleasantly surprised when my wife said she's had two racks of ribs on the smoker at 225 for two hours, just like I like 'em. I went out about 20 minutes later to wrap them in foil & crank up the temp for another hour, and much to my disgust I saw they were already wrapped in foil!

I asked if these had been in the smoker like this the whole time & she said "yeah, that's how you do them every time - wrap in foil at 225 for about 2 hours & then unwrap them & put it on about 350". 😫

I unwrapped them, they were grey, limp, & the rub had turned into this sort of paste. It was just awful. I attempted a recovery operation but I was unsuccessful.

Wanna hear something funny? I got home the other day and was pleasantly surprised when my wife said she's had two racks of ribs on the smoker at 225 for two hours, just like I like 'em. I went out about 20 minutes later to wrap them in foil & crank up the temp for another hour, and much to my disgust I saw they were already wrapped in foil!

I asked if these had been in the smoker like this the whole time & she said "yeah, that's how you do them every time - wrap in foil at 225 for about 2 hours & then unwrap them & put it on about 350". 😫

I unwrapped them, they were grey, limp, & the rub had turned into this sort of paste. It was just awful. I attempted a recovery operation but I was unsuccessful.
I'm going to assume she has other redeeming qualities?

• Haha
Reactions: Hog and Rick Flair
I'm going to assume she has other redeeming qualities?

Maybe I should make her sit down and list the reasons I shouldn't divorce her over this meat abuse. I'm pretty sure the state of Utah would just annul it given the circumstances, I don't think I'd even need a lawyer

Alright pellet grillers I've ordered a Rec Tec 340. It's small but I'm sure it will be plenty for my wife and I. I'm excited to get it.

I've been doing sous vide since making your own circulator was the only way to do it other than buying scientific equipment. Now I'll be able to turn a knob and add some smoke and sear after. I've got a round Webber but it isn't convenient for everyday use. My wife is sick of me smoking out the house searing in cast iron.

Ya'll are up to some cool shit. @jeepins that paint came out clean.

I've been flying my new drone a bit lately, I got a mavic mini for my birthday.
View attachment 166788

It's pretty cool what drones are capable of, even entry level ones like I've got. That's across the street and river from my house and about 800' up a hill. My house would be just out of frame on the left.
I have been looking at getting one of the mini's. Looks fun, but I am not sure what I would actually do with it. I would hate to spend $500 on the kit, fly it a couple of times then have it sit on the shelf like so many other toys. I keep watching YouTube videos on it though, so if I keep my interest in it for a few weeks I may break down and get one. You can get them on Dell.com and I have $200 in gift cards. I can't think of anything else I want from there right now, so probably in the near future

Anything that you don;t like about it?.

Reactions: xxdabroxx
I have been looking at getting one of the mini's. Looks fun, but I am not sure what I would actually do with it. I would hate to spend $500 on the kit, fly it a couple of times then have it sit on the shelf like so many other toys. I keep watching YouTube videos on it though, so if I keep my interest in it for a few weeks I may break down and get one. You can get them on Dell.com and I have $200 in gift cards. I can't think of anything else I want from there right now, so probably in the near future

Anything that you don;t like about it?.
I wish it had autotracking for following the jeep on the trail but other than that it’s killer. It holds its own in moderate winds and seems to take great photos and video for the size of the camera.

I regularly fly mine a half mile away without issue and that’s way farther than you can actually see it. I have a lot of trees and power lines where I fly it too.

if you already had a mavic pro I don’t think id get the mini but as a first drone I think it’s a good foot in the door. Definitely get the fly more combo just for the extra batteries and hub. You can use the hub as a power bank too if you want. I’ve been charging my batteries like once a week and flying one pack every few days. It’s nice that it’s alway ready to go.

14015A52-FD56-4FDE-ABB1-91D8B1D7F430.jpeg
146ADB0A-09C2-4CA9-89BC-99C7056A3CA7.jpeg

i havent started playing with manual photo settings yet as I spend most of my time working on my flying skills. Movements aren’t second nature yet but I’m not too bad. I’ve flown small single blade helicopters in the past though so I’m not completely unfamiliar.

Our travel ball season is finally back after being shut down due to Covid. We played our first tournament this weekend in 11 months.

Jr played really well. Had several hits, pitched well, we finished 3rd overall.

It’s fun to be back at it.

My dad fwd me this in an email this morning.

Our neighbors had a very large metal pole shed that they no longer wanted. The Amish Family next door said they wanted it.
"How will you move it?", was asked.
They replied that some of their friends would help them carry it to his property about 800 yards away-that's nearly a half mile!.
Who would have thought that 250 friends would show up

I want to find the person here in N. Utah who is responsible for programming traffic lights & smack them in the face. I've lived a lot of places, but until I arrived here I never saw randomized left turn arrows. Am I going to get a green arrow before the cycle? After the cycle? Not at all? Who the fuck knows!! The last thing people want when it comes to driving is predictability.

They even change at the same light across only a few cycles. You'll be sitting in a long line of traffic waiting to turn left, the first cycle you see you get an arrow in the beginning, then the next one will be on the end, then the next cycle won't even have a green arrow, then the next one will be at the end again. I don't get it.

I want to find the person here in N. Utah who is responsible for programming traffic lights & smack them in the face. I've lived a lot of places, but until I arrived here I never saw randomized left turn arrows. Am I going to get a green arrow before the cycle? After the cycle? Not at all? Who the fuck knows!! The last thing people want when it comes to driving is predictability.

They even change at the same light across only a few cycles. You'll be sitting in a long line of traffic waiting to turn left, the first cycle you see you get an arrow in the beginning, then the next one will be on the end, then the next cycle won't even have a green arrow, then the next one will be at the end again. I don't get it.
Same here, I quit trying to figure it out, gave me a headache.