Taxation in the USA

RMETeeJay

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I've been looking at the way each state collects taxes (state, county, local, wage, sales, etc) at this site. It's really interesting to see and compare how each state works. It really helps explain where businesses and retirees choose to locate.

https://statetaxindex.org/
And here are a bunch of additional maps with specific topics (groceries, beer, candy & soda, etc):

https://taxfoundation.org/publications/tax-maps/

Last edited:
nice. I remember doing an analysis when moving from Oklahoma to Colorado and I had to do it all manually, looking at each states income taxes, area property taxes etc. It was manual and incredibly time consuming. I think I'd have to do it anyway to consider a specific move but this is a good resource to filter out states that are just way off base, like CA, MN and the cluster of states around NY. I'm actually surprised at the south being taxed higher than Colorado. Wouldn't have expected Arkansas to rank so poorly.

Reactions: Chris and RMETeeJay
I feel like a lot of this is going to change for the worse soon, as residents move out of higher tax areas to lower tax areas but vote for the same ideas.
I think the same, however surprisingly enough despite Colorado's hard left turn in the last decade, we actually just voted to decrease the state income tax (only from 4.63 to 4.55%, but at least it's in the right direction). I'm guessing the massive population growth has resulted in an increase in the taxable income base large enough to offset the costs of additional population.

Wouldn't have expected Arkansas to rank so poorly.

I wanted to blame governor Clinton. Then I looked up the Governors of Arkansas and found that he can't get full credit. Bill's just one of 24 different people in the last 100 years that have been their governor but considering that 20 of those were Democrats and that he was voted in 5 different times I doubt he ever tried to limit taxes.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I think the same, however surprisingly enough despite Colorado's hard left turn in the last decade, we actually just voted to decrease the state income tax (only from 4.63 to 4.55%, but at least it's in the right direction). I'm guessing the massive population growth has resulted in an increase in the taxable income base large enough to offset the costs of additional population.
They also have a map showing where we have moved:
https://taxfoundation.org/state-migration-trends/

I spent a year around 2000 tracking every tax that I paid.

I was in the lowest tax bracket, no complications to my return like capital gains or whatever. I'm in PA, which is fairly middle of the road for overall tax burden.

Of course there are taxes built into everything you buy that can't be quantified, so my numbers are short of reality.

Bottom line, I paid 38% of my income to one government or another. Estimates of hidden taxes are 10-15%, so I was pushing 50% of my income. That's average Joe nobody with a basic job.

We are HEAVILY overtaxed and they are masters at hiding that fact.

While Washington doesn't have a state income tax they make up for it in many different ways. But what's FUCKED up about it is the IDIOTS here keep voting in this tax happy governor. Matter of fact they just voted to raise our tax on fuel AGAIN. Right now we pay $0.38 per gallon or something like that. And these LIBERAL idiots just upped it to $0.52 per gallon. They are also toying with the idea to start taxing you on how much you drive.

Now the one that really SUCKS is that they are also trying to STEAL our ORV funds. They've done it a few times already but this time they are trying to make a law where they can assess it anytime.

Now the one that really SUCKS is that they are also trying to STEAL our ORV funds. They've done it a few times already but this time they are trying to make a law where they can assess it anytime.
Yeah, our club is trying to get every member and others to send messages to our representatives about this shitty deal...

Reactions: Wildman
I've wondered why the AFC south teams don't clean up in free agency. You are pretty much guaranteed to pay 0 state income tax on 10 of your home games if you sign with Jacksonville, Tennessee, or Houston

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I've wondered why the AFC south teams don't clean up in free agency. You are pretty much guaranteed to pay 0 state income tax on 10 of your home games if you sign with Jacksonville, Tennessee, or Houston

I'm sure glad they don't apply that BS to us regular folks. I'd lose my $#!+ every April if I had to fill out state returns for a couple of days of work travel in every state I visited the previous year.

I’m a strong believer that, if you wanted to truly reform our government and purge the career politicians, simply stop having taxes automatically drafted from people’s paychecks.

If people had to physically go to a tax office and pay their taxes either monthly or annually, and they actually got to see how much they were paying, attitudes would change real quick.

Automatic drafts from paychecks were the worst thing to ever happen to our nation.

I’m a strong believer that, if you wanted to truly reform our government and purge the career politicians, simply stop having taxes automatically drafted from people’s paychecks.

If people had to physically go to a tax office and pay their taxes either monthly or annually, and they actually got to see how much they were paying, attitudes would change real quick.

Automatic drafts from paychecks were the worst thing to ever happen to our nation.
And the taxing authority knows that, which is why it will never change.

Reactions: Matt888 and Jack72
They don't even need taxes anymore. They can tax us through inflation. This year has basically erased any purchasing power I gained through my last 5 years of pay increases, but those in charge have investments that grow with or outpace inflation and they don't depend on a salary so inflation helps them.

Unfortunately the middle class are the ones being screwed but they (we) are too busy working to put food on the table to do anything about it.