Taxation in the USA

Here in Ohio, our property taxes are said to be going up anywhere from 30-44% statewide this year, as it is a "tri assessment year.
Add in all the Levy's people love to go out and vote for, rather than against! The township I live in just passed a HUGE tax levy for fire and police. I mean, Who votes to tax themselves? They whined and cried about operating expenses, when there has been a huge boom in Homes and business's being built here. This township is collecting more taxes than ever, yet they need more?! Shortly after this levy passed, I noticed our Police traded in their smaller SUV patrol vehicles and are now driving full sized SUV's. Make matters worse, they just released the plans for the new 220,000 sq Ft police department, that was NEVER mentioned before the levy was placed on the ballot! Rant over!

Who votes to tax themselves? People who don't work and don't pay any taxes. They're on the government dole and don't give a damn what you or anyone else has to pay.

I was in Virginia (Fredericksburg) about two weeks ago and I was impressed how well people are off there. According to your table, tax in Virginia is

Virginia 8.23%
2.97%
2.82%
2.44%

WTF 8.23% really? Is that true? I can't believe it, maybe I didn't understand that table. I just did my tax return for last financial year and I paid 26.5% on income tax alone. Add to that for instance fuel tax, 50 cents per liter or sales tax 10%, etc. I guess the tax burden Down Under is close to 50%.

And you guys are whingeing? :unsure:

You left Brevard? How much of an improvement is TN over NC?

No state tax, but some of the counties are high or maybe I’m just whiny. Soon we’ll be moving to Henry county with fewer taxes but high property taxes compared to Lincoln county.

I was in Virginia (Fredericksburg) about two weeks ago and I was impressed how well people are off there. According to your table, tax in Virginia is

Virginia 8.23%
2.97%
2.82%
2.44%

WTF 8.23% really? Is that true? I can't believe it, maybe I didn't understand that table. I just did my tax return for last financial year and I paid 26.5% on income tax alone. Add to that for instance fuel tax, 50 cents per liter or sales tax 10%, etc. I guess the tax burden Down Under is close to 50%.

And you guys are whingeing? :unsure:

And you're ok with HALF of your earnings being confiscated? Half of each work day goes to you and the other half is taken by someone else? Sounds like serfdom.

I would argue that our modern, comfortable lifestyles prevent revolution even more.

Why revolt? You can sit in your house, order Uber Eats, get next-day Amazon Prime delivery, and never have to leave your house more-or-less.

Comfort is the root cause of most of our modern, first world problems. People need to be made to be uncomfortable, then watch what happens.

Yep. Never mind social media and its smartphone delivery system.

Reactions: Chris
And you're ok with HALF of your earnings being confiscated? Half of each work day goes to you and the other half is taken by someone else? Sounds like serfdom.

Unfortunately that's the reality almost everywhere outside the US. So there is not much to complain for you guys ;)

Oh man, if that grid ever goes down for any extended period of time things will get crazy. In fact, that might just be what it takes to usher in some sort of revolution. All China needs is some EMPs on those “weather balloons”.

If the grid does go down, there's alot of people nowadays who will have no idea how to fend for themselves! They don't have any clue how to hunt or forage for food. There will be no Grub hub or door dash to save them!
It reminds me of this documentary I watched a few years back. It's more about a solar storm but the same results.

No state tax, but some of the counties are high or maybe I’m just whiny. Soon we’ll be moving to Henry county with fewer taxes but high property taxes compared to Lincoln county.

Property Tax, Excise Tax, Sales Tax and use taxes are the most regressive forms of taxation. You pay them through recessions, joblessness and they tax the lower paid at much higher relative rates.

Total taxation in this country is approaching 50% when you count embedded taxes.... the ones you never see. Certain taxes are called fee... for example the FCC "auctions" off radio wavelengths they "regulate". First in a scientific world the FCC provides neither wavelengths nor the apparatus to control them... but that's for another thread... those billions of dollars are passed on to you in your phone bill... your cable bill... your internet bill... just about every business you interact with (they pass it through to you) and so on. Transportation taxes at the federal and state level.... you pay a tax for the truck with the watermelons coming from the field... again you pay for them to be moved from the sorting packaging facility to the regional warehouse... again you pay to move them from the warehouse to the local distribution center.... then again to the grocery store. Now, overlay that with everything you consume and how many times the base goods are transported by air, rail and truck. You pay for the fuel tax in each of those as well.

All totaled the total is about 49.5% on average for everyone. This isn't using the marginal rates on your taxes but the actual rates. For those who don't know the difference the marginal rages are complete BS. The are also known as "Brackets". 10%, 15%, 20% etc.... no one ever pays the marginal rates of your income. You pay taxes based on "taxable income". So while I'm in the a higher bracket based on my negotiated salary.... after deductions I'm in a lower one. So that 49.5% number is AFTER that's taken into account. So, all income tax at the Federal level for everyone paying is around 29.5% paid in.... for those under $1.5M in annual income it's about 16.7%. The rest is State, Local, Sales, embedded taxes, fees and excise taxes.

Here's the total "Revenue" (love that they take a term from commerce to describe taxation) for all government entities in the US.

1691638106159.png

Now, here just Income Tax.

1691638150757.png

Just for fun.... let's look at this same data going back to 1910

Total "Revenue"
1691638242043.png

Income Taxes.
1691638285663.png

Let's look at how well they manage spending with that massive change in taxation... umm... well here's the debt curve over that same time period.

1691638525055.png

So, not only are they taxing us at ever increasing rates they are also spending massively more than they tax.

But we're much better off because all of this money grows the economy.... right?

Well... here's how we tax in relation to growth.... we tax more and more of GDP

1691638820552.png

Here's the same % of GDP graph broken down by State (blue), Local (red), federal (green) and social insurance taxes (grey).

1691641186333.png

The GDP this graph is based on is flawed. If you calculate GDP as we did prior to 1980 we're at 52% or so of GDP based on those calculations.

Now ask yourself if you believe there is THIS much more good that government does?

They get you to play the envy game by blathering about marginal rates and who's getting away with what while they tax you out of existence with things you have no idea about and they will never talk about.

Last edited:
Reactions: RMETeeJay

I used to live in Henry country, my biggest tax complaint was the sales tax on food (9.75⁸%) I would drive to Murray. Ky to shop for groceries. No tax except on prepared food items. I lived in Buchanan and the drive to Murray was only five minutes longer than the drive to Paris.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: TJ Jim
If the grid does go down, there's alot of people nowadays who will have no idea how to fend for themselves! They don't have any clue how to hunt or forage for food. There will be no Grub hub or door dash to save them!
It reminds me of this documentary I watched a few years back. It's more about a solar storm but the same results.

Isn't that the truth! We've become so reliant on the government (part of their plan) that most of us have forgotten that the comfortable lives we are living is NOT the default state of humankind. If the grid went down it would be catastrophic.

I think it would be awfully similar to The Walking Dead, minus the Zombies.

All of the supposed "enlightenment" that we beleive we have achieved (i.e. gender theory, feminism, etc.) would immediately disappear because people would revert back to their natural primal state. Kill or be killed. Find a tribe and get protection in numbers. The arguments about women being able to do everything men can do (and vice versa for that matter) would cease to exist.

One day this will happen. Who knows when, but as that documentary points out, there's a big, fiery ball of gas up there in the sky about 94,000,000 miles away and we have no control over it whatsoever. If it decides to send out a massive solar flare, we can say goodbye to our comfortable lives.

I'll be honest with you, I think with the way society is heading this would be the reset we need.