Team Colorado-Red-Shift-on-35s-Everyone-Except-Wisconsin-is-Invited-No-Pickles-Pretzles-Allowed-Occidental-Belt-Club-We're-Not-A-Team AKA Team Hypen

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw and tworley
@Chris - if there's an official TJ Fest setting let me know so I can update my CHIRP settings.

The short of the settings (per channel):

0: DISTRESS
1-10: NOAA Weather (skipped for scanning, no transmitting)
11-32: GMRS 1 - 22
33-40: GMRS Repeaters
41-62: FRS 1 - 22
100: Team Hyphen
101: TJ Fest

Use GMRS-20 to LISTEN ONLY to TJ Fest Chatter

Last edited:
@Chris - if there's an official TJ Fest setting let me know so I can update my CHIRP settings.

The short of the settings (per channel):

0: DISTRESS
1-10: NOAA Weather (skipped for scanning, no transmitting)
11-32: GMRS 1 - 22
33-40: GMRS Repeaters
41-62: FRS 1 - 22
100: Team Hyphen
We need an official channel. Pick a number, any number 😉

Unless @Dino Darling cares, let's use the same frequency of GMRS 20 (462.675) with privacy code (DTCS/DTC) 212 - that allows anyone on GMRS20 to hear TJ Fest. Thoughts Dino - is there any reason to not use this?
Works for me as long as it works for everyone else. Let me know and I’ll update the sticky and the site.

Reactions: rasband
Unless one is known to be busy, GMRS seems mostly like a pick and choose. He may just know which are more or less busy with his experience!

Yep, definitely open to suggestions if that channel is too busy,

Sounds good, I am a newbie to GMRS so hopefully @Dino Darling has an opinion or blessing :D
GMRS Channel 20 is actually the National GMRS Calling Frequency and uses PL 141.3 and is bad form to camp out on the national calling frequency; plus you open yourself to potential interference. Definitely stay away from 1 to 14 and all those kiddos with their old FRS plastic radios!

15 to 19 or 21 and 22 are recommended.

That being said, I found a gray area in the rules. 23 to 30 are repeater inputs only when in DUPLEX (repeater) mode. But we will be in SIMPLEX mode so according to the rules as I see it, we can legally use 23 to 30 for simplex. The advantage is we would have no interference from repeater outputs that may be transmitting on channels 15 to 22. Since only an IDIOT would put a repeater on the national calling frequency (ch. 20) that means the channel paired with it (ch. 28) would be least used frequency and the best technical option.

However, since I like things neat and tidy and you are already using channel 30 on the CB, why not use channel 30 GMRS too? Its simple to remember.

There are lots of logical options and I'm good with whatever you choose. Per my earlier post, I already set aside a TJ Fest channel in my programming block, but I didn't actually choose a frequency.

GMRS Channel 20 is actually the National GMRS Calling Frequency and uses PL 141.3 and is bad form to camp out on the national calling frequency; plus you open yourself to potential interference. Definitely stay away from 1 to 14 and all those kiddos with their old FRS plastic radios!

15 to 19 or 21 and 22 are recommended.

That being said, I found a gray area in the rules. 23 to 30 are repeater inputs only when in DUPLEX (repeater) mode. But we will be in SIMPLEX mode so according to the rules as I see it, we can legally use 23 to 30 for simplex. The advantage is we would have no interference from repeater outputs that may be transmitting on channels 15 to 22. Since only an IDIOT would put a repeater on the national calling frequency (ch. 20) that means the channel paired with it (ch. 28) would be least used frequency and the best technical option.

However, since I like things neat and tidy and you are already using channel 30 on the CB, why not use channel 30 GMRS too? Its simple to remember.

There are lots of logical options and I'm good with whatever you choose. Per my earlier post, I already set aside a TJ Fest channel in my programming block, but I didn't actually choose a frequency.

Should we bump this to channel 21 and call it good for now? Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Reactions: Dino - KX6D
Should we bump this to channel 21 and call it good for now? Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience!
That's great! But just so I'm clear, you want Team Coco and TJ-Fest on the same channel or will there be 2 separate channels and maybe a third if my group decides to go GMRS. I'm thinking the LJ group will be VHF for our runs and have GMRS per the rules to talk to group when necessary. I figure if you can afford a LJ you can afford a $35 dual band radio.

That's great! But just so I'm clear, you want Team Coco and TJ-Fest on the same channel or will there be 2 separate channels and maybe a third if my group decides to go GMRS. I'm thinking the LJ group will be VHF for our runs and have GMRS per the rules to talk to group when necessary. I figure if you can afford a LJ you can afford a $35 dual band radio.

You can probably tell me what works best for a large and disparate group!

I’ve never been to a larger event like this so I don’t have strong opinions, but my thought was maybe we can all be different DTCs on the same channel so we can break out by trail groups via the DTC. Anyone that wants to hear all can allow their RX to be open and their TX to be whatever group they’re participating in.

What do you think would be best? I’ll happily set up the chirp export to match what you’re thinking since I’m just a novice. Having “team” specific channels may be useful in whatever we do.

I’ve never been to a larger event like this so I don’t have strong opinions, but my thought was maybe we can all be different DTCs on the same channel so we can break out by trail groups via the DTC. Anyone that wants to hear all can allow their RX to be open and their TX to be whatever group they’re participating in.
The problem with this is you can have two people with different codes talking over the top of the other person because he didn't know the other guy was there. FM radio uses what's called "capture effect". The strongest signal captures the receiver and the coded station won't even be heard. How about 19 for TJ Fest, 21 for Team Coco, and 22 for Team LJ, 16 for Group A, 17 for group B, etc. We would all use the same DCS code for ease of memory and just use the "trucker channel" when the group gets back into town etc?

For those who don't know, the DCS (digital coded squelch) code will only allow you to hear other people who are transmitting that code, even if they are on the same frequency. Motorola called it "Private Line" (hence PL Tone) back in the day when they used analog tones instead of digital codes. Your radios will be programmed with the normal uncoded GMRS channels, and then special channels named Coco or LJ or TJFEST with the proper code preprogrammed in with the channel of choice. People without the tones will still be able to hear you, they just can't talk back to you.

I hope our groups don't get much larger than 10 rigs each or its going to be a LONG DAY on the trail! Are there other Moab veterans willing to step up and lead groups? I've been finalizing draft #1 of the 16 trails Team LJ will be running from Saturday to Friday. It may need whittling down; we'll see!

Reactions: rasband
Team Coco?

200.gif