Team Colorado-Red-Shift-on-35s-Everyone-Except-Wisconsin-is-Invited-No-Pickles-Pretzles-Allowed-Occidental-Belt-Club-We're-Not-A-Team AKA Team Hypen

The problem with this is you can have two people with different codes talking over the top of the other person because he didn't know the other guy was there. FM radio uses what's called "capture effect". The strongest signal captures the receiver and the coded station won't even be heard. How about 19 for TJ Fest, 21 for Team Coco, and 22 for Team LJ, 16 for Group A, 17 for group B, etc. We would all use the same DCS code for ease of memory and just use the "trucker channel" when the group gets back into town etc?

For those who don't know, the DCS (digital coded squelch) code will only allow you to hear other people who are transmitting that code, even if they are on the same frequency. Motorola called it "Private Line" (hence PL Tone) back in the day when they used analog tones instead of digital codes. Your radios will be programmed with the normal uncoded GMRS channels, and then special channels named Coco or LJ or TJFEST with the proper code preprogrammed in with the channel of choice. People without the tones will still be able to hear you, they just can't talk back to you.

I hope our groups don't get much larger than 10 rigs each or its going to be a LONG DAY on the trail! Are there other Moab veterans willing to step up and lead groups? I've been finalizing draft #1 of the 16 trails Team LJ will be running from Saturday to Friday. It may need whittling down; we'll see!

That makes sense, since @bobthetj03 is right, let’s do this:

GroupGMRS Ch (freq)DCSCB Channel
TJFest16 (462.575)D223N
Hyphens (CO)17 (462.600)D223N30
LJs18 (462.625)D223N
...19 (462.650)D223N
...21 (462.700)D223N

Here's a good list of how to configure radios to use DCS: https://www.sfarc.org/dcs-instructions.html
Here is my CHIRP settings that you can upload to a Baofeng UV-5r (this will be continuously updated): https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1l00DDHX-qdFv1AxD4U65lTMwfU148OdC

Unless there’s any reason that doesn’t work, I’ll bug Chris to get it in the main TJ Fest post.

DCS Table:

image.jpg

Last edited:
I think TJ fest should be renamed to radio fest, with whatever hyphens you choose.

Just don't lose me in your rear view and I am good. Otherwise, Feel free to bust my balls for doing something stupid on the trail over whatever channel you choose. It is definitely bound to happen. Anyone bringing a pink shirt, helmet, or unicorn horn for the first person that does something stupid or needs to winch?

We used to bring a cow bell. Anyone that got stuck and couldn't self recover got to hang the cow bell on their rig the rest of the run and had to keep it till the next guy got stuck.
I vote those ridiculous truck balls, maybe they make one in the shape of a cowbell.

That makes sense, since @bobthetj03 is right, let’s do this:

GroupGMRS Ch (freq)DCSCB Channel
TJFest16 (462.575)D223N
Hyphens (CO)17 (462.600)D223N30
LJs18 (462.625)D223N
...19 (462.650)D223N
...20 (462.675)D223N

Here's a good list of how to configure radios to use DCS: https://www.sfarc.org/dcs-instructions.html
Here is my CHIRP settings that you can upload to a Baofeng UV-5r (this will be continuously updated): https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1l00DDHX-qdFv1AxD4U65lTMwfU148OdC

Unless there’s any reason that doesn’t work, I’ll bug Chris to get it in the main TJ Fest post.

Hey @Chris - it may be worthwhile to copy this to the main TJ Fest initial post - that way it's in one spot for all groups to see it and be able to add to it.

Hey @Chris - it may be worthwhile to copy this to the main TJ Fest initial post - that way it's in one spot for all groups to see it and be able to add to it.
Oh my goodness, the LJs get their own channel? Hey @mrblaine, maybe you can help me work up a prank for these retards 🤣

I’ll add this to the main post though, no problem!

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
Also, you’d think this expensive Midland GMRS radio I bought would do DCS, but nope 🤷🏻