Team LJ: TJ Fest 2021

Coming to Moab without lockers makes for a long long day.
Don't scare off the newbies. Lot's of good trails that don't need lockers. Tons of traction in Moab.

However, since I am locked; I'm hoping to follow you through some harder trails I haven't done yet.

Don't scare off the newbies. Lot's of good trails that don't need lockers. Tons of traction in Moab.

However, since I am locked; I'm hoping to follow you through some harder trails I haven't done yet.
I is one of them newbies to Moab and I ain't no scared, boss. Its good you brought up the traction issue! I was talking to Grandpa and he said "slick rock" isn't that slick, unless you have steel wheels on covered wagons. He also mentioned he has seen many broken u-joints or axles from people who think they need lockers all the time. Basically, if you have two tires on the ground you'll have good traction.

As for following me, lets just hope I live up to your high (?) expectations. 🤷‍♂️

I is one of them newbies to Moab and I ain't no scared, boss. Its good you brought up the traction issue! I was talking to Grandpa and he said "slick rock" isn't that slick, unless you have steel wheels on covered wagons. He also mentioned he has seen many broken u-joints or axles from people who think they need lockers all the time. Basically, if you have two tires on the ground you'll have good traction.

As for following me, lets just hope I live up to your high (?) expectations. 🤷‍♂️
The traction really is unreal, I didn't use my lockers much on my last trip. Just air low (10ish PSI) and heat up your tires steering back and forth. Lockers are mostly a bonus on anything in the medium-ish range.

Reactions: Dino - KX6D
Cool and we are coming in Friday and your tails look fun running mash, kitchen and fins to start. Please count us in if ok. I didn't see ur sking for trail sign up yet so will monitor this tread. Thanks

Hi Dino and we are still looking forward to wheeling MOAB for our 2nd time. We'll be coming in Sunday and will catch up with the group starting Monday. Printed your the trail listing you outlined and all seem fun. Will continue monitoring this thread for daily meeting times and locations.

One trail we took last time was Shafer Trail from the top of Dead Horse down the east face then following the Colorado River east toward the evaporation ponds and back to Moab. This as a fun day trip on a medium trail that has great views but may be too crowded on the switchbacks with many jeeps. Thought I'd throw it out to the group as a good off-day go at your own pace run for others if interested.

Thanks for helping put this together and glad I'm bringing my LJ just so I can use my 2 meter.

One trail we took last time was Shafer Trail from the top of Dead Horse down the east face then following the Colorado River east toward the evaporation ponds and back to Moab. This as a fun day trip on a medium trail that has great views but may be too crowded on the switchbacks with many jeeps. Thought I'd throw it out to the group as a good off-day go at your own pace run for others if interested.
I'm glad you'll be with us starting on Monday. We are doing Shafer on Wednesday. Actually, we start on Potash Rd, drive down the switchbacks, turn around and drive back up them, then continue on to Lathrop Canyon and White Rim. Its a long day with beautiful easy wheeling.

I've tried to alternate days with easy and hard trails to cover as much ground as possible. I've looked at Team America's and Team Colorado's posts to try to avoid duplicate trails on the same day in order to keep the group numbers low, so we can actually get through them in a reasonable amount of time.

As I was taught, "Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance." Which is why I've spent the last month going over trails, talking to Moab veterans, and watching videos so I know what we're up for. I also know there are so many great trails I can't cover them in a week, which gives me an excuse to come back.

Lastly, I need the Jeep to last the week so I don't want to beat it to death and miss out on all these great trails!

Jackie and I are looking forward to meeting you!

Cool and Shafer is a fun choice like your other choices as well. We upgraded from a TJR last year to our LJR and still learning the differences —- sometimes the TJR was like a rabbit hoping around Sand Hollow and the LJR is a bit slower and strategic — which is OK and enjoy how the LJR does handle objects more sure footed and looking forward to testing on some of the more 6-7 grade trails in Moab. It's done well in TH and Big Bear.

Toni and I can only image putting this together for a lot of us jeepers — hell, it's challenging for us sometimes to insure we have plan-a & b options when we go wheeling our selves sometimes.

Thanks again.

Hi from Louisiana. I’ll get to Moab on the 25th. I’m ready to do whatever trails are on the agenda. I might skip one day to go to Canyon Lands park. Having met Dino in Colorado last summer, and a few others, I’m looking forward to meeting everyone.

2D4D8479-3224-4240-9042-C91557421EC5.jpeg

Reactions: Tob and Dino - KX6D
What about Team TJ(U) !!!
The rest of the Jeeping world calls them LJ's. I only know ONE person, for reasons I'll never fully understand, who doesn't. Hell, even the guys converting JK's and JL's call them LJK and LJL. Crazy, right?

People i don't even know say, "Nice LJ!" or "I wish I had a LJ." They never say, TJU or "Unlimited". Do you know why? Because NOBODY calls them that! The JK and JL crowd doesn't even say unlimited. They say 2-door or 4-door.

Dewaine Earl from Louisiana met us for our LJ Nation week in Silverton last July and had a great time. He asked if he could hang with me at TJ-Fest...and thus, Team LJ was born.
Hey, I know Dewaine! If there's still room, I'd like to join Team LJ on some of these trail days! I'll have to take a closer look at the trails and plan out my week a little better. TJ Fest sure is coming up fast.