Team LJ: TJ Fest 2021

For those LJ owners who like to wheel with other LJ owners, or for those TJ owners who want to join us, I put together this sub-group and organizing trail runs for TJ-Fest. Dewaine Earl from Louisiana met us for our LJ Nation week in Silverton last July and had a great time. He asked if he could hang with me at TJ-Fest...and thus, Team LJ was born.

We will work as a group to come up with a list of trails to run and coordinate with the other groups so we are not all running the same trails on the same day. The idea here is to keep the various groups small in rig count so we can get through the trails! 25 rigs on a single run makes for a long day. You do not have to wheel with us every day, but I only ask that you let us know what days you will be joining us so we are not left waiting for you at the trail head.

RADIOS! (GMRS Ch-18, 462.625 DCS 223 : Amateur Radio 146.535)
I'm a radio guy! If you need radio, go to Amazon and buy this... Baofeng UV-5R It will do GMRS and amateur radio.
I will program your radios for you in Moab so just bring it with you. I recommend upgrading to a better radio, but this will work fine for our runs. If you have a radio question, let me know.

Trail Leaders!
I want to spread this around the group so everyone gets a chance to lead. Those who have actually ran the trail before go to the front of the list! Let us know if you want this responsibility. If you have a tablet, I will provide GPX files for all trails we will be running so we stay on course. I'm running Back Country Navigator on a Samsung tablet. Gaia is very popular and I've heard great things about Lead Nav. If you are new to using a tablet for navigating, buy one or dust off that old iPAD. Gaia is very popular for the iPAD so buy it! Your tablet will need to have GPS capability. You do NOT need a cell-capable tablet!

Lunch!
We will be eating lunch every day on the trail. Come prepared! Lots of water and ice!

Dinner!
Group dinner every night at a local restaurant. Everyone is invited! Official Forum/Non-Event dinners take precedence! This is purely voluntary so feel free to eat with any other group, at camp, or whatever.

Party!
Jackie and I are going to host a Team LJ Party at our place at least once during the trip. You do NOT have to have an LJ to attend. We rented a house in town and will have the firepit going in the backyard so bring a chair. Bring your own drinks but expect snacks and pizza for dinner that night on us! Feel free to bring something if you want (bucket of chicken, dancing girls).

Grandpa's Garage!
I spoke with Danny Grimes and he has invited us to come on by and hang out. Danny also makes his garage available to do repairs. No lift, but he has tools you can use. He is the King of Hosts so please respect him and his place. Expect a group gathering there at least one night during the trip.

TRAILS! (Preliminary)

Day / Date
Trail
Area
Difficulty
Jeep Badge of Honor
(Click name for web page)​
Saturday 4/24
Gemini Bridges
2​
2-2​
Metal Masher
2​
6-10​
**​
Sunday 4/25
Behind The Rocks
2​
Hard​
Picture Frame Arc
2​
Easy​
Monday 4/26
Hells Revenge
2​
6-8​
**​
Fins and Things
2​
4-6​
**​
Tuesday 4/27
Entrada Bluffs Rd
3​
1-1​
Top of the World
3​
6-8​
**​
Rose Garden Hill
3​
6-8​
Onion Creek
3​
3-3​
Wednesday 4/28
Potash Rd / Shafer Swtchbks
4​
2-2​
Lathrop Canyon
4​
3-3​
White Rim
4​
3-3​
Thursday 4/29
Poison Spider Mesa
2​
6-10​
**​
Golden Spike
2​
6-8​
Gold Bar Rim
2​
6-8​
Friday 4/30
Hurrah Pass
2​
2-2​
Chicken Corners
4​
3-3​

Trails we will NOT be running!
We will NOT be running Area BFE, Pritchett Canyon, or Rusty Nail due to the possibility of rig damage and/or lack of big enough tires. These are extreme trails for heavily modified rigs. If you want to run those trails you will have to pick another group that day.
Dino, thanks for putting this thread together and radio experience!

By chance do you have room 4/27 run? If so I would like to team up with you all. My 97 has lockers front/rear/35's winch/tools/all the safety & recovery gear/water/plenty of food cause I'm always snacking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dino - KX6D
I have an LJ and would like to meet up with some other owners. I will plan on Thursday and will try for Tuesday - just for your counts. If you all will have me.

Thanks

Reactions: Dino - KX6D
Hey, I know Dewaine! If there's still room, I'd like to join Team LJ on some of these trail days! I'll have to take a closer look at the trails and plan out my week a little better. TJ Fest sure is coming up fast.
@Dino - KX6D Okay, I've got my days planned. I'd like to run with Team LJ Sunday and Tuesday through Friday. Do you have a count of RSVP's for each trail day?

@Dino - KX6D Okay, I've got my days planned. I'd like to run with Team LJ Sunday and Tuesday through Friday. Do you have a count of RSVP's for each trail day?
I don't. As I originally posted, anyone can join us. My phone number is posted, the radio frequency is posted and our meet (8am) and departure (8:30am) times will be posted this week. If someone wants to join us last minute and is running late there will be no reason why they can't contact us. Other than that, we'll see who is there at the meet time.

I also won't be evaluating people's builds. I posted the trails, the difficulty ratings, and links to the trails. People will have to decide if they are up to the trail run. I know a guy with 31's on a 2" lift TJ that goes places I would never guess he could. I hope people will choose wisely.

That being said, I've spent a lot of time studying the trails. But its still my first time so its all just an educated guess. I understand there are bypasses for "most" of the "difficult" obstacles so I think we'll be OK.

We will not be spending a lot of time as spectators on trails like Hell's Revenge. We'll get the group through and move on as there is a lot of road to cover. If someone wants to bail out early there will be opportunities for that, but they will be on their own.

If someone breaks, they won't be left behind. Hopefully people will use good judgment before sending it.

My code is, "Its not just my vacation!" We want everyone to have a good time so we won't make decisions that would mess that up. If someone wants to try an obstacle we will be there for them, but we won't try for 30 minutes. There is always next time. This is fair for the entire group.

And lastly, if someone turns out to be a dick-weed, they won't be invited back to wheel with the group. I really hope that doesn't happen!

Sure wish I could make this trip. The closer it gets the more bummed I am I wasn't able to make this fit into summer plans. Next year I really hope to make it.

Please sign me up for Saturday and Sunday 24th and 25th if you have room on the list. I'll be checking to see how it looks. See yall there!

I think I'm going to ride with team LJ on the 24th for Gemini Bridges and branch off when you guys go to Metal Masher. What direction are you going on Gemini? Also going to tag along on the 28th to potash rd and etc. Looks like that's a set of easy scenic trails that I'll be fine on.

Last edited: