Team LJ: TJ Fest 2021

I think I'm going to ride with team LJ on the 24th for Gemini Bridges and branch off when you guys go to Metal Masher. What direction are you going on Gemini? Also going to tag along on the 28th to potash rd and etc. Looks like that's a set of easy scenic trails that I'll be fine on.
We are starting at the trailhead to Gemini Bridges @ Hwy 191 (Page 73 of the Funtreks book) at 8:00am. About half way through we meet up with the trailhead to Metal Masher and will complete that loop, joining back with the Gemini Bridges trail, backtracking 1.5 miles to go see the bridges, then heading out to Hwy 313.

I think you would be fine on Metal Masher with the bypasses. If you want to skip MM, then you can take Gemini Bridges (Trail #22) to Bull Canyon/Day Canyon (Trail #24), which is an out and back and can still meet up with us. At the very least, we are in the area and most likely only a radio call away so stay on the LJ channel.

Reactions: lBasket
We are starting at the trailhead to Gemini Bridges @ Hwy 191 (Page 73 of the Funtreks book) at 8:00am. About half way through we meet up with the trailhead to Metal Masher and will complete that loop, joining back with the Gemini Bridges trail, backtracking 1.5 miles to go see the bridges, then heading out to Hwy 313.

I think you would be fine on Metal Masher with the bypasses. If you want to skip MM, then you can take Gemini Bridges (Trail #22) to Bull Canyon/Day Canyon (Trail #24), which is an out and back and can still meet up with us. At the very least, we are in the area and most likely only a radio call away so stay on the LJ channel.
Awesome thanks for the info. I will most likely come with for MM then... Hard to find info on how trails are with bypasses. Not really mentioned in the book as much

Reactions: Dino - KX6D
Are we going to have to purchase an OHV pass before we can hit the trails? Just wondering. It's been 30 years since I was there.

Sounds like a good group, even though I will have length envy! 🚌
I'm in for the whole week if there is room, though I think we will duck out of the Tuesday run up TOTW due to the wife's extreme fear of heights (and mine, a bit).

Sounds like a good group, even though I will have length envy! 🚌
I'm in for the whole week if there is room, though I think we will duck out of the Tuesday run up TOTW due to the wife's extreme fear of heights (and mine, a bit).
I think you will be fine for Top of the World! Imagine the sense of accomplishment and nobody says you have to drive to the end of the cliff. Attached is a picture of the entire trail. You don't need to drive anywhere close to the edge. for the entire trail. You actually have to drive OUT to the overlook. And if you want a shot of your Jeep there, I'll drive it out for you!

As for length envy, I think if I was going to build a jeep for wheeling, I'd want a stretched TJ to take advantage of the wheelbase and keep everything else the same. Unless you need the extra internal space.

Top of the World.jpg

Hi guys and looks like a good run list and appears to have some options each day. I went thru the LJ Team tread and except for the last note regarding Gemini, didn't see notes on meeting points in morning and if you people are thinking of hitting multiple trails outline for a the day. Sorry if I missed it but.... So do we just meet at trailhead at8 or 9Am - seems logical but want to confirm.

We're now coming in late Sun (just keeps changing — grrr) so Monday FnT would be good break-in run but anyone thinking of doing HR in the afternoon or is it too hot now there to do. Seems good weather for the week.
Tues we're open to TOTW or RGH, again one or the other or are others going to try to do both that day?
Wed WR is 10 hrs but assume there is a cut out point. LC looks fun too and although we likes SS a lot last time, we're up to try something new so LC or WR.
Thur all 3 wouold be fun good but again, anyone going for two of them on Thur?
Friday I'm going to jump ship and going with Team America (if they'll have me) to do MM — want to do that one for sure.
Leaving on Sat :(

Thanks and wife and like many others REALLY looking forward to get away finally.

Hi guys and looks like a good run list and appears to have some options each day. I went thru the LJ Team tread and except for the last note regarding Gemini, didn't see notes on meeting points in morning and if you people are thinking of hitting multiple trails outline for a the day. Sorry if I missed it but.... So do we just meet at trailhead at8 or 9Am - seems logical but want to confirm.
You are correct and I'll be updating those times this week with plenty of time for everyone to get the word.

I intend to complete the trails as listed. It is a best guess though, so we'll see if we have to bounce out early or continue after dark. With the exception of lunch, we won't be hanging out and spectating. Those who want to bail out early are more than welcome to but will be on their own.

We'll be flexible so everyone will have a say and we'll work it out. My plan has us off the trails before dark.

Are we going to have to purchase an OHV pass before we can hit the trails? Just wondering. It's been 30 years since I was there.
I recall reading Off Highway one would especially if out of state. Street legal is OK but if you need to go into one of the parks to take a trail you will need to purchase a park pass but that should be it. we purchased the year for both the national and state parts (both exist at moab). There are exceptions and while going thru the trails, Hells Revenge requires or use to require a pass per https://www.grandcountyutah.net/296/Fees link. I think the parks do some limiting of how many per day. and none of the parks centers are planning to be open to stop / ask questions.

hopefully others can confirm this as well.

I recall reading Off Highway one would especially if out of state. Street legal is OK but if you need to go into one of the parks to take a trail you will need to purchase a park pass but that should be it. we purchased the year for both the national and state parts (both exist at moab). There are exceptions and while going thru the trails, Hells Revenge requires or use to require a pass per https://www.grandcountyutah.net/296/Fees link. I think the parks do some limiting of how many per day. and none of the parks centers are planning to be open to stop / ask questions.

hopefully others can confirm this as well.
Sounds right to me

Sounds right to me
So like, is there something I should be buying today, online before getting to MOAB? Or if not, where should I go to get whatever it is I need? :)

I'm getting there Saturday evening, don't want to not be able to Wheel Sunday morning just because I didn't know about some pass I need... Seriously confused about the passes...

So like, is there something I should be buying today, online before getting to MOAB? Or if not, where should I go to get whatever it is I need? :)

I'm getting there Saturday evening, don't want to not be able to Wheel Sunday morning just because I didn't know about some pass I need... Seriously confused about the passes...
Just keep some $5's on you so you can pay the occasional fees. If you go in the national park consider a year pass if you will go in more in the next year.

Good morning Team LJ. I’ll get to Moab Sunday the 25th around middle of afternoon. Are any of you staying at the Red Stone Inn? I could use some help taking the hardtop off.

63DD958C-4982-4084-A169-1A11660A884F.jpeg

Good morning Team LJ. I’ll get to Moab Sunday the 25th around middle of afternoon. Are any of you staying at the Red Stone Inn? I could use some help taking the hardtop off.

View attachment 245025
Just run Rusty Nail - it will take your hard top right off.

:)

I pulled the trails outlined for the TJ FEST and zipped up the GPX files and a separate zip of the trails map & overview so I could move them to my cell and onboard nav. computer. Figured I'd shared here in case others want it. Sorry but the PDF map & overview were too big for single upload so I split into 3 files.

As others have mentioned, the FUNTREX trail guide (https://funtreks.com/products/) has good trail profiles and the PGX are mostly from trailsoffroad.com. For hardcopy backup, another good source is the LATTITUDE40MAPS (https://www.latitude40maps.com/classic-moab-trails/) which are a very durable and usually for sale at many of the stores in Moab.

Attachments

• LJ_MOAB_2021_GPX.zip
    227.4 KB · Views: 103
  • LJ_MOAB_2021_PDF_A.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 99
  • LJ_MOAB_2021_PDF_B.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 103
  • LJ_MOAB_2021_PDF_C.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 96
@Dino - KX6D - I may have missed it, but has the team set meeting times for each trail day? I assume we will meet at the respective trail heads, but please correct me if I am wrong.

It may be worth posting the meeting times with the schedule on the first post.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Reactions: lBasket
@Dino - KX6D - I may have missed it, but has the team set meeting times for each trail day? I assume we will meet at the respective trail heads, but please correct me if I am wrong.

It may be worth posting the meeting times with the schedule on the first post.

Looking forward to meeting you all.
Moab Diner and Moab Grill are good places to meet for breakfast before hitting the trails.

• Love