Team Stay at Home (Hero)

I'm sad and glad I didn't sign up. My trip got moved from the 19th to the 21st. Now pushed back further. So I would have found out today, I had to cancel.

It seems the only time I'd be free is when it's 100+ temps there. Bummer.
Yeah, in the summer 100 is a cool day in Moab...

Man, I’m in on this team. I wanna wheel there, but without lockers and gears I’d be unhappy with the limitations.

But I like the live drone and pickle action, I want in on that!

Reactions: Vasq
Normally we are planting fields fast and furious this time of year and never plan a vacations for this time.
Temperatures have been below normal now for 12 days and it snowed overnight. Haven't planted anything yet.

We're only days away from reeling in envy :ROFLMAO:
Next week when we finally get rolling, I'll be here reeling in envy also!

I'll post some action shots on the farm here in the "hero" thread.

Normally we are planting fields fast and furious this time of year and never plan a vacations for this time.
Temperatures have been below normal now for 12 days and it snowed overnight. Haven't planted anything yet.

Next week when we finally get rolling, I'll be here reeling in envy also!

I'll post some action shots on the farm here in the "hero" thread.
We usually plant the hay field in the fall, timing between winter and spring doesn’t give us enough of a window to do it in the spring.

But we’re about 2 weeks into watering the alfalfa, and the triticale is popping up pretty good right now.

I totally understand the anchor Ag has on your time!

What crops do you have?

We usually plant the hay field in the fall, timing between winter and spring doesn’t give us enough of a window to do it in the spring.

But we’re about 2 weeks into watering the alfalfa, and the triticale is popping up pretty good right now.

What crops do you have?
Mainly corn and soybeans in this area. Last fall I seeded wheat but didn't like to looks of it so I terminated it and will put corn in. With no livestock, we can slip away in the winter. But you got to "make hay while the sun shines," seasonally you need to be there.

My first plant test would have been finished last week, postponed to this week, now maybe it will be completed sometime next week. That's why I never schedule anything this time of spring.

I'm waiting to the last minute for travel reservations. I hope covid is keeping last minute prices down like last year. Otherwise accounting gets on me for not booking 2 weeks out.

Reactions: Modoc Guy

What crops do you have?
I forgot to add we seed rye into the cornstalks in the fall for "cover crop" You're triticale made think of that.
Do you have livestock?

The farming business is changing. We've planted Non-gmo corn last few years. Mainly for less expensive seed and possibly better corn, corn that doesn't take the GMO traits well and never sees the market as big boy seed companies cant make money that way.
Finally I'm getting a premium for the corn thru a dairy that produces for Dannon who specifies non-gmo feed. Sustainable field practices, wood duck habitat in the dairy retention ponds. Cover crops on silage fields. etc. Some grouse at this, personally why wouldn't I want to grow what people are willing to buy?

I forgot to add we seed rye into the cornstalks in the fall for "cover crop" You're triticale made think of that.
Do you have livestock?

The farming business is changing. We've planted Non-gmo corn last few years. Mainly for less expensive seed and possibly better corn, corn that doesn't take the GMO traits well and never sees the market as big boy seed companies cant make money that way.
Finally I'm getting a premium for the corn thru a dairy that produces for Dannon who specifies non-gmo feed. Sustainable field practices, wood duck habitat in the dairy retention ponds. Cover crops on silage fields. etc. Some grouse at this, personally why wouldn't I want to grow what people are willing to buy?
Sounds like a good gig if you’re getting a premium.

Still easier for us to rent our farmland.

• Haha
Reactions: Farmergreg
Sounds like a good gig if you’re getting a premium.

Still easier for us to rent our farmland.
My grandfather moved his family here after WW1 from Germany. There wasn't any chance of owning land there. He was a was a blacksmith in an era when horses were king.
I didn't inherit his land, but I bought part of it back from the guy who bought it off my uncle.

Hold onto your land!

Reactions: Irun and Apparition
My grandfather moved his family here after WW1 from Germany. There wasn't any chance of owning land there. He was a was a blacksmith in an era when horses were king.
I didn't inherit his land, but I bought part of it back from the guy who bought it off my uncle.

Hold onto your land!
I don't sell guns or farm land. I only acquire more.

Go anyway and stay in the Jeep talking by comms.

I'm going on a plane next week. Statistically, it will be almost impossible for me not to come into covid contact. Like this whole year.

Chris stays home and you'll get it from someone else along the way or while there. Or not. I bet most people have been around thousands of infected people in the last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
Do you have livestock?

No cattle yet. My youngest son and my Ex runs the ranch, and they wants to start with 50 or so soon, but other economic issues have pushed that back. We’ve only got 200 acres, so that limits what we could run as well.

Due to my trade, I’m the fabricator, mechanic, and general handyman cuz I’m no rancher!

But my family’s from Ohio, and my Uncle grew corn on his farm when I was a kid. I loved visiting when I was a kid growing up in California. When you’re a kid, farms are real cool!

No cattle yet. My youngest son and my Ex runs the ranch, and they wants to start with 50 or so soon, but other economic issues have pushed that back. We’ve only got 200 acres, so that limits what we could run as well.

Due to my trade, I’m the fabricator, mechanic, and general handyman cuz I’m no rancher!

But my family’s from Ohio, and my Uncle grew corn on his farm when I was a kid. I loved visiting when I was a kid growing up in California. When you’re a kid, farms are real cool!
We’re all just big kids out here playing tractors😂 (and handling $100’s of thousands of dollars)

My grandparents and uncle farmed, I always loved coming back to visit for a couple weeks in the summer. As I got older, I helped my uncle he was about 35 miles away. Funny I still don’t farm his land. When I was 21 (1984) I rented a farm and bought $20k worth of junk to farm it with. Now my son has the aptitude and want to continue, so I’ll become the hired man in 8 years.

Growing up on and actively working a farm for 12 years before graduating high school and going to college for a job that I didn’t have to work as hard for and easier money. Didn’t realize what I left until it was too late.