Technically your LJ is really a TJ Unlimited

The vast majority of the parts I use other than fabrication parts I get directly from the dealer. I'm set up so I can call in the order, they order it if needed, they call me when it shows up, I go pay for it and bring the part home.

I have worked primarily on the TJ Unlimited for the last 5-6 years. Not once have I ordered a TJJ 78 specific part in that time except for belt rails and parking brake cables. I call in, give them the year of the TJ I am working on. I don't get any wrong parts other than simple fuck-ups by me or them.

You mean they don't ask you if it's an LJ or a TJ? :ROFLMAO:

Go along with it. LJs will not be waved at.

People can get pretty nasty about this subject. Go back a few pages and you'll see (if you don't remember). Hell, I'm pretty sure one guy actually quit the site over it.

It's as if some people assumed I was launching an attack on them personally. :LOL:

• Wow
Reactions: DEValken
Seeing as we don't have the LJ out here its hard to comment, but it seems like the LJ is a bit like a 2 door station wagon version of the TJ coupe :unsure:

Reactions: JeepZilla380
You mean they don't ask you if it's an LJ or a TJ? :ROFLMAO:
No sir, they do not because they do not have any category or designator with LJ connected to it. Part comes up like a radiator for example and below that will be a list of letters and numbers it fits. None of those are ever LJ nor will they ever be since there is no such thing in that realm.

No sir, they do not because they do not have any category or designator with LJ connected to it. Part comes up like a radiator for example and below that will be a list of letters and numbers it fits. None of those are ever LJ nor will they ever be since there is no such thing in that realm.

Yep, I've looked at the parts diagram PDFs in depth when I'm in search of a part, and nowhere in them is there any mention whatsoever of "LJ".

In regards to those plates with the "LJ" stamped on them from the factory, I wish I could explain that. All I can imagine is maybe someone at the Jeep factory was having fun back during the production days.

Seeing as we don't have the LJ out here its hard to comment, but it seems like the LJ is a bit like a 2 door station wagon version of the TJ coupe :unsure:

You can pretty easily make your TJ into an LJ. Just have to stretch it about 12" I believe it is. Otherwise it's almost entirely the same.

Of course people will still ask, "I see you're selling a TJ bumper, will this fit on my LJ?". 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Yep, I've looked at the parts diagram PDFs in depth when I'm in search of a part, and nowhere in them is there any mention whatsoever of "LJ".

In regards to those plates with the "LJ" stamped on them from the factory, I wish I could explain that. All I can imagine is maybe someone at the Jeep factory was having fun back during the production days.
I've run into several without those letters on the grill plate and I keep forgetting to take a picture and document it.

I suspect it was for internal use on the assembly line but even that is a stretch, (no pun intended).

I've run into several without those letters on the grill plate and I keep forgetting to take a picture and document it.

I suspect it was for internal use on the assembly line but even that is a stretch, (no pun intended).

I suspect you're right. It would be nice to get ahold of one of the original guys and have them put it to rest once and for all.

Hell, even the original brochures for the Unlimited models made no reference to the LJ moniker.

You can pretty easily make your TJ into an LJ. Just have to stretch it about 12" I believe it is. Otherwise it's almost entirely the same.

Of course people will still ask, "I see you're selling a TJ bumper, will this fit on my LJ?". 🤦‍♂️
From the back opening/B pillar forward they are identical with zero changes. The only difference is the TJ Unlimited got more sound deadening on the firewall and hood insulation.

After that, only a bit of harness, brake lines, parking brake cables, rear driveshaft, cat back exhaust, and one additional crossmember to carry the gas tank skid is different. Same tank, same bumper, same axle assemblies. Obvious interior and top differences due to more length.

That doesn't help my theory that there was a lack of communication between the manufacturing and marketing departments.

Didn't someone show a relatively recent Jeep press release that mentioned the LJ?

From the back opening/B pillar forward they are identical with zero changes. The only difference is the TJ Unlimited got more sound deadening on the firewall and hood insulation.

After that, only a bit of harness, brake lines, parking brake cables, rear driveshaft, cat back exhaust, and one additional crossmember to carry the gas tank skid is different. Same tank, same bumper, same axle assemblies.

So basically you just have to extend everything from the b-pillar on back a number of inches and you could turn a SWB TJ into an Unlimited?

That doesn't help my theory that there was a lack of communication between the manufacturing and marketing departments.

Didn't someone show a relatively recent Jeep press release that mentioned the LJ?
There is a plate under the left seat and a VIN tag in the door opening that do not have those letters. It has only ever been shown on the grill tag.

Reactions: jjvw

I suspect the LJ moniker is now so widely known that modern Jeep marketing reps are using the term. It's the old school guys that are probably scratching their heads saying, "We never called it an LJ."

But then again, who knows for sure, only the original TJ development team themselves.

I always figured it just came about because people kept referring to it as the "Long Jeep", thus LJ for short.

Now the Unlimited models outsell the SWB versions 10 to 1.

This subject again?! Wow. Yeah @Chris, from the B Pillar back. So we need a new forum now for the TJ Unlimited. Set it up.

• Haha
I suspect the LJ moniker is now so widely known that modern Jeep marketing reps are using the term. It's the old school guys that are probably scratching their heads saying, "We never called it an LJ."

But then again, who knows for sure, only the original TJ development team themselves.

Every so often there is some weirdo from the JK world who calls it a TJU. And they are technically more correct!

And I forget if it is here or on JF, but there is a thread that won't die with TJ-L in the title. It has irritated me for years.

This subject again?! Wow. Yeah @Chris, from the B Pillar back. So we need a new forum now. Set it up.

Before you know it someone will be complaining and want another forum specifically for Solar Yellow LJs with half doors.

Reminds me of the guy I talked to today who wanted to set up a dating site for mountain bikers. I told him it was a stupid idea, and he asked why. I told him that you're trying to cater to a subset, of a subset, of a subset, and that if it did come to fruition, it would be a 98% sausage fest with a few women who would probably be scared off in short order by all the desperate men.

Every so often there is some weirdo from the JK world who calls it a TJU. And they are technically more correct!

I forget if it is here or on JF, bit there is a thread that won't die with TJ-L in the title. It has irritated me for years.

I'm that weirdo :ROFLMAO:

Normally I just call them TJ Unlimited, but sometimes I'll shorten it to TJU. I'm secretly trying to reprogram people's minds.

Spoiler alert: It isn't working ;)