Technically your LJ is really a TJ Unlimited

Every so often there is some weirdo from the JK world who calls it a TJU.

I forget if it is here or on JF, bit there is a thread that won't die with TJ-L in the title. It has irritated me for years.
The retro downgrade of specific terms irritates me to no end. You should be able to use the word weldor and not have it perverted into the commonly accepted but incorrect term "welder" for the machine instead of the person using the machine. Assholes.

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
I actually thought about writing some PHP code that would convert every instance of "LJ" into "TJ Unlimited" so anytime anyone typed the word and posted it, it would automatically be converted. I wasn't going to say anything about it, just see how long it took before people noticed.

I'm not actually going to do that though, I know I'd piss off far too many people :LOL:

Maybe for an April Fools prank?

I actually thought about writing some PHP code that would convert every instance of "LJ" into "TJ Unlimited" so anytime anyone typed the word and posted it, it would automatically be converted. I wasn't going to say anything about it, just see how long it took before people noticed.

I'm not actually going to do that though, I know I'd piss off far too many people :LOL:

Maybe for an April Fools prank?

That would really interfere with all those discussions about Linux Journals. :(

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
The retro downgrade of specific terms irritates me to no end. You should be able to use the word weldor and not have it perverted into the commonly accepted but incorrect term "welder" for the machine instead of the person using the machine. Assholes.

I just had an idea for a really pedantic Halloween costume.

TJ is the body code. TJJ is the domestic version. TJJ 77 is the short wheel base. TJJ 78 is the longer wheel base.

TJ is the same designator like YJ, XJ, MJ, SJ, ZJ, JK, KJ, BU, etc..

It's a body code not a model name. Thanks for the clarification.

😎

I guess my LJ (or whatever it's supposed to be called) has an identity crisis. This is its birthday sticker....just plain old TJ. BTW, I verified 1st Shift wasn't hungover on a Monday. 4/28/2004 was a Wednesday! ;)

SKttAbT.jpg

Just to make this clusterfuck complete:

1) Semantic arguments are for Liberals.
2) The "Unlimited" moniker sounds stupid, regardless of where/what/why its used.
3) "Wrangler" isn't much better. TJ, LJ, CJ, YJ, whateverJ sounds better to my ear.

Carry on...

Yep, I've looked at the parts diagram PDFs in depth when I'm in search of a part, and nowhere in them is there any mention whatsoever of "LJ".

In regards to those plates with the "LJ" stamped on them from the factory, I wish I could explain that. All I can imagine is maybe someone at the Jeep factory was having fun back during the production days.
@Chris I was a mechanic at Chrysler’s AZ proving grounds when we received the first LJs for off road testing.

Long before I ever saw the vehicle referred to as an “unlimited” it was tagged “TJ-L“ internally

I don’t know at what level this designation originally was used but we referred to the vehicles as TJ-L on work orders etc at the APG down at my level, (aka the bottom) until the unlimited name was assigned to the Jeep.

Maybe TJ-L was used initially for security reasons???

Reactions: Hog and Apparition
@Chris I was a mechanic at Chrysler’s AZ proving grounds when we received the first LJs for off road testing.

Long before I ever saw the vehicle referred to as an “unlimited” it was tagged “TJ-L“ internally

I don’t know at what level this designation originally was used but we referred to the vehicles as TJ-L on work orders etc at the APG down at my level, (aka the bottom) until the unlimited name was assigned to the Jeep.

Maybe TJ-L was used initially for security reasons???
I'd buy the TJ-L as an official designator all day long. Would have really simplified things and stopped a lot of bullshit.

Reactions: Chris