Technically your LJ is really a TJ Unlimited

TLU for the win! That’s what I’m calling it at least :risas3:

EDIT: For those of you who were butt hurt over this comment, I was being sarcastic. You ought to try it sometime. Take a chill pill!

@Chris, TLU?? o_O Seriously? Where do I send back my WranglerTJForum.com sticker and apply for a refund??? :mad:

It's an LJ. Officially or unofficially, it has become Jeep vernacular.
I think you've had too much fun this Memorial Day.... :drink9:

Acctualy LJ is the body designation from Jeep. I'll try and find the documentation again

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.
No sir, it is not the body code designation. The body code for a SWB is 77 and the LWB is 78. If you look at the last one posted, in the lower left it has TJJS78. The TJJ means it is for domestic use, I forget what the S is for and the 78 is for the longer wheel base body.

One of the other tags above has TJJS77 which is again a domestic SWB. Back before they changed all the menus for the online ordering sites, you could actually get into the menu the dealer uses and there is no LJ body code.

But a TJ is stamped TJ. Where a LJ is stamped LJ. Again, seems pretty official and designated.
Try and order a part from a dealer that isn't familiar with the slang term and even if they are, have them turn the screen around so you can see how they select the difference parts for SWB and LWB. There is no LJ involved whatsoever.

If LJ on the tag doesn't mean LJ as we have been using it, then what does it mean? Does the TJ stamp not really mean TJ? Do the tags ever say anything else?
The actual body code is in the lower left. All TJ's standard and longer wheelbase start with TJ because that is the model.

Here you go:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-does-tj-stand-for.1129/#post-14227

Blaine is right. It was never once used in any sort of marketing material, parts catalogs, diagrams, service manuals, or anything like that by Chrysler.

So while the plates may say LJ on them, it wasn’t an actual chassis code used by Chrysler.

Why it’s on that plate, I have no idea. It must have been an unofficial term, much like it still is.
There are some plates on the TJ Unlimited models that don't have that in the upper right corner. This discussion came up on Facebook in a very specific TJ Unlimited group and someone posted up pics from their rig.

In regards to the "LJ" in the corner plate on some of the Unlimited models, perhaps that was just the workers on the assembly line having fun.

Either way, I was simply trying to point out that the term LJ was never an official term used by Chrysler or Jeep, that's all.

I just think it makes more sense as a TJU, being that the JK Unlimited is a JKU.

Of course I know I'm never going to sway the collective opinion of the internet, so this thread was more or less for fun, and to point out some facts that some may not have been aware of.

I was looking at a grill tag on one from a 97 and it actually has TJL on it so by the logic from the LJ crowd, they started making the JL in 97 because it is on the tag.

What you really should derive from that is how I know it is a grill from a 97 without looking at the tag.

What you really should derive from that is how I know it is a grill from a 97 without looking at the tag.

I can only assume that the grill (or something to do with the grill) on the 97 models was different. I know the cowl covers on the 97s were slightly different than 98 and later (didn't discover that until recently).

In regards to the "LJ" in the corner plate on some of the Unlimited models, perhaps that was just the workers on the assembly line having fun.

Either way, I was simply trying to point out that the term LJ was never an official term used by Chrysler or Jeep, that's all.

I just think it makes more sense as a TJU, being that the JK Unlimited is a JKU.

Of course I know I'm never going to sway the collective opinion of the internet, so this thread was more or less for fun, and to point out some facts that some may not have been aware of.

The logic is fairly basic due to our Canadian brothers. In Canada, the Jeep Wrangler from 97-06 and likely later does not have Wrangler on the side of it and instead has TJ. If there were in fact an LJ model, the Canadian Wrangler Unlimited would have LJ instead of TJ. The Wrangler model designation is in use by another manufacturer.

Also similar in Australia. All the Sahara models in the Land Down Under are designated Renegades because Sahara is in use by another mfg.

The logic is fairly basic due to our Canadian brothers. In Canada, the Jeep Wrangler from 97-06 and likely later does not have Wrangler on the side of it and instead has TJ. If there were in fact an LJ model, the Canadian Wrangler Unlimited would have LJ instead of TJ. The Wrangler model designation is in use by another manufacturer.

Also similar in Australia. All the Sahara models in the Land Down Under are designated Renegades because Sahara is in use by another mfg.

I wasn't aware Canada even got the Unlimited models. I just learned something new.

When I was installing my skid plates, I noticed that the fuel tank, fuel tank skid, and transfer case skid all say "Made in Canada". It would seem that there's probably a fair share of stock TJ parts that were produced in Canada, eh?

Reactions: John E Lane
I can only assume that the grill (or something to do with the grill) on the 97 models was different. I know the cowl covers on the 97s were slightly different than 98 and later (didn't discover that until recently).
Yep, the hood latch is in the grill instead of on the underside of the hood. Yes, the cowl is different in that the early ones had 3 grill slotted sections instead of one in the center like the later ones do.

The rear crossmember has the 2 holes outside the frame rail and two inboard for the bumperettes that the YJ has. That went away not long after the 97 year or in the middle of it. There are also some that have 1/2-13 threaded holes on the underside of the bumper in the frame instead of the 12mm x 1.75 all the later ones have.

I wasn't aware Canada even got the Unlimited models. I just learned something new.

When I was installing my skid plates, I noticed that the fuel tank, fuel tank skid, and transfer case skid all say "Made in Canada". It would seem that there's probably a fair share of stock TJ parts that were produced in Canada, eh?
All of the OEM steering parts I've ever bought from the dealer have the maple leaf tag on them.

Yep, the hood latch is in the grill instead of on the underside of the hood. Yes, the cowl is different in that the early ones had 3 grill slotted sections instead of one in the center like the later ones do.

The rear crossmember has the 2 holes outside the frame rail and two inboard for the bumperettes that the YJ has. That went away not long after the 97 year or in the middle of it. There are also some that have 1/2-13 threaded holes on the underside of the bumper in the frame instead of the 12mm x 1.75 all the later ones have.

Which makes me wonder why they made these little changes after only a year of production. I'm going to have to assume it had something to do with changes in manufacturing equipment?

Which makes me wonder why they made these little changes after only a year of production. I'm going to have to assume it had something to do with changes in manufacturing equipment?
Who the hell knows what they were thinking. They completely changed the console and shifter floor plate in 05-06 even though it was the last 2 years of production. Very bizarre.