Technically your LJ is really a TJ Unlimited

@Chris I was a mechanic at Chrysler’s AZ proving grounds when we received the first LJs for off road testing.

Long before I ever saw the vehicle referred to as an “unlimited” it was tagged “TJ-L“ internally

I don’t know at what level this designation originally was used but we referred to the vehicles as TJ-L on work orders etc at the APG down at my level, (aka the bottom) until the unlimited name was assigned to the Jeep.

Maybe TJ-L was used initially for security reasons???

I remember you mentioned that when we met. What a time to be alive!

Anyways, that is interesting. It makes you wonder who stamped the “LJ” on some of the VIN tags.

Interesting to note the FSM for both 2004 and 2005 describe the body code tag car line shell description for LHD as TJJ and for RHD as TJU meaning for the body code tag TJU might have been confused with the designation already in use for RHD Jeeps. Somebody else probably has mentioned this before but I don't remember reading about it. My tag does say TJJ indicating LHD but it might have seemed confusing having an LHD tag with both the RHD designation TJU and TJJ on the same tag and they picked LJ out of a hat to avoid this.

Interesting to note the FSM for both 2004 and 2005 describe the body code tag car line shell description for LHD as TJJ and for RHD as TJU meaning for the body code tag TJU might have been confused with the designation already in use for RHD Jeeps. Somebody else probably has mentioned this before but I don't remember reading about it. My tag does say TJJ indicating LHD but it might have seemed confusing having an LHD tag with both the RHD designation TJU and TJJ on the same tag and they picked LJ out of a hat to avoid this.
Doesn't matter. The area is very specific on the tag with regard to what letters can be in that spot.

I remember you mentioned that when we met. What a time to be alive!

Anyways, that is interesting. It makes you wonder who stamped the “LJ” on some of the VIN tags.
So, if I promise to start calling my LJ a TJ-L, can I still come to TJ fest? I won't have to cancel my reservations? :D